Home Technical Talk

Blender interaction/hotkey presets

Lamoot
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
Hello,

Recently Blender got a welcome addition of interaction/hotkey presets. It allows users to quickly change the way Blender behaves and mimics user interaction of other 3d applications.

show.php?id=2694

However, these presets first need to be made. Users are encouraged to contribute such presets for other 3d apps and if done properly it's very likely they get included with official Blender release. There's already one user working on a 3dsmax preset and is looking for some feedback. The problem is a Blender forum is not the best place to get replies from 3dsmax users.

Seeing many artists here use 3dsmax, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to provide some feedback, ideas and suggestions how to improve the 3dsmax preset? You can provide feedback in this thread and I'll forward it to the author and, as I understood from my talk with him, he'll also be checking this thread himself.

From the original thread:
Hello everyone! I am making a 3dsmax hotkey preset to be (hopefully) included as a choice in the splash screen. So for anyone interested, please try them out and post whatever you think is missing or doesn't behave quite like it should.

Download the preset

To install, you will need a more recent build from Graphicall like for example this one. and place the .PY file in the .blender/scripts/presets/interaction folder. After this start up the program and choose "3dsmax" from the splascreen.
The current changes are:
- Max-style selection including LMB select, boxselect and empty-space deselect
- View change (L - Left, T - Top etc.)
- Boundbox/wireframe toggle (F3, O)
- Zoom to selection (Z)
- Snap toggle (S)
- There is no "Angle Snap" (A) in Blender so i made it toggle between vertex and increment snap (which is better if you ask me)
- G to toggle grid on/off
- [ and ] for zoom in/out
- < and > for timeline seek
- X to toggle manipulator
- WER keys for manipulator mode

I think that a rightclick menu should be added later as an extension, but this is it for now.

Replies