Home Technical Talk

n00b mistakes you've made.

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    painting in pshop for about 2 mins in an area that is inverse selected without realizing:)
    Also saving over a psd that took a whole week to make
  • ShiroiHusky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix wrote: »
    Trying to weld vertices on two boxes without first deleting the polygon on each face between them and thinking Max is broken. :(

I've done just this, trying to make a TF2 hat based on some old headphones I have... Was wondering for at least 20 minutes why the cylinder wasn't welding to another one the same size just next to it, then realised it still had caps.
  • chadabees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 For the spacebar in max.. I get a job using max everyday, then the next job I use maya, then the next max.. Gets frustrating :)
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Ruz wrote: »
    painting in pshop for about 2 mins in an area that is inverse selected without realizing:)
    Also saving over a psd that took a whole week to make

Heh, its even worse if you have a tablet and are painting subtle detail. You lightly brush over a couple areas, then notice it isn't darkening, so you push hard and harder on the tablet to increase the pressure :P
  • Guessmyname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guessmyname polycounter lvl 6
    Moosey_G wrote: »
    Pretending I didn't have to make uvmaps if I made really cool models.

This. Oh lordy, this. And trying to use the Local Axis when extruding things in MAX...
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Most recent one; annoying as fuck and happens all the time.

1. Work in UDK
    2. Create a new deco layer and paint some trees
    3. Increase density to 10
    4. Realize that I have removed the "." without removing decimal numbers
    5. ????
    6. Profit

I've got this problem with every setting that uses decimal numbers (which happens to be pretty much every setting in udk) but this one is by far the most annoying.

oh, and unintentionally collapsing my model to Editable Mesh and trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with my menu bar.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I just thought I had discoloration on png export... it was a shadow on the monitor.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    hitting ctrl y to redo in photoshop
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    I had to use cinema 4d for a bit for a job.. never did figure out what apple*shift*z does..
    in most programs its redo... but not cinema.. instead it locks up the scene or some crazy shit.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Speaking of Photoshop...repeatedly hitting "N" instead of "B" to select the brush tool and placing a note on the canvas. It's so irritating I just had to remove the note shortcut all along, but it flips me out when I do it on a fresh install.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Maya: Hitting B and turning soft select on when I thought I was pressing V for vert snap.
    Then wondering wtf just happened to maya and why its gone all weird and wont let me just select a single anything anymore...
    Also guilty of the Caps lock thing...Maya and its damn world changing hotkeys in useful places...
    (I still do both all the time, but difference being I know exactly what I just did for the 10^92 time...)
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For whatever reason it took me over a year to figure out what the connect tool in max does - I was using the slice plane and dicking with edges manually.. soo much wasted time.

My most epic noob blunder tho.... Being to naive to realize when I was getting screwed on contract work.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Speaking of Photoshop...repeatedly hitting "N" instead of "B" to select the brush tool and placing a note on the canvas. It's so irritating I just had to remove the note shortcut all along, but it flips me out when I do it on a fresh install.

Gah, yes, this. It's always the first thing I unbind on a fresh install of PS now.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    lit and rendered an asset and forgot to flip the normals green channel...and spent a few hours wondering why some areas looked wonky...
    yes that happened yesterday...
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah...CTRL-Y in PS...I have a button on my mouse for CTRL-Z and CTRL-Y and press them almost automatically...

Anyway...I remembered one...not even a Noob-Mistake, but infinitely stupider....I once worked on a scene, Max froze on save, so my scene-file was corrupt...I was happy to see that Autoback saved just seconds before, so I loaded it up and continued working...after a while I was pleased with the model and went on to a new scene...some hours later I realized, that I did not save the previous scene to a real file, I just used the autoback file...obviously it was overwriten with the new scene by then ...my forehead still hurts from the facepalms...
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    When I was transitioning from Maya -> Max and reached the unwrapping stage, I was baffled to discover that sometimes I would randomly lose all my unwrap data. Every time this happened I'd yell and start a new unwrap....
    Turns out when you have something selected in sub-object mode and apply your unwrap modifier, that's all you see. I was under the impression my model was corrupting itself and I have no idea how many times I re-unwrapped my first couple of models in max.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    I created a save action in Photoshop, so that I could hit f2 to save the diffuse. Then tinting it darker, updating in Maya, tweaking, updating, tweaking, updating, and not getting the results I wanted. Turns out the action saved it as a copy so my Maya scene never updated, and all those tweaks never showed up and I didn't notice for about 15 mins.

Happened to me more than once. :)

I remember in Photoshop when I was fine tuning a texture with a very low opacity brush, didn't notice I had a small area selected somewhere in the canvas and kept painting over the same area for like 3 minutes until I noticed nothing was being painted :P

Sometimes your mind can play funny games with you...
  • SnowGhost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowGhost polycounter lvl 11
    Accidently putting the chamfer amount in the segments box of the chamfer dialogue... usually while chamfering by a large number...
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16

OMG this.

Who had Adobe had that awesome idea?

Because everone needs to annotate that much that they need a frickin' shortcut, and RIGHT next to brush FFS. :poly127:

I still get that daily, or did, up until I read this thread and figured it could be removed (I thought the basic tool shortcuts weren't changeable).
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    SnowGhost wrote: »
    Accidently putting the chamfer amount in the segments box of the chamfer dialogue... usually while chamfering by a large number...

Oh god I do this. Select edge, hit chamfer box dialogue, click on segments spinner instead of chamfer amount spinner and and just drag that mouse up. Boom, 50 segments right away and Max dies. I don't remember having that a few releases ago, maybe that's why I do it so regularly.
  • mayaterror
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh god I do this. Select edge, hit chamfer box dialogue, click on segments spinner instead of chamfer amount spinner and and just drag that mouse up. Boom, 50 segments right away and Max dies. I don't remember having that a few releases ago, maybe that's why I do it so regularly.

Also guilty of this nearly every time I use Chamfer, I think it's something in the design of the UI for that tool as compared to the Extrude/Bevel/Inset tools, you just get so used to those that you automatically go to that same spot in Chamfer - you'd think someone at Autodesk would have realized this and changed it by now.
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    When I first used Maya, I would get pissed at Maya for not letting weld verts sometimes. Then I realized you can only weld verts on an object... not verts from two separate objects.

yup... idiot
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I kept having issues today baking maps in max, with render to texture, where multiple times, because I was kinda of rushing, kept missing/forgetting to setup A projection modifier, or the damn thing came unchecked in the menu, and it doesn't warn u.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Problems that occur because of lack of organisation:

• Saving a file as "asfdfbs" and then not being able to find it when you really really need it.

• Seeing a sea of Targa files in a folder and not having the patience to figure out what they are or which model they belong to.

• Having Gigs of mysterious objs in the 3dsMax "Export" folder. Most of which are entitled "Head" or "Head_05" or "HeadAAAAAAAAAA" or "Head_AAAAAAA_FINAL_FINAL_COMPLETE".

• Having my ray distance calculator in xNormal say something stupid like: 43435.98
    then after declaring how stupid the program is, later realising I left a piece of a model way off in the distance inside Max.

(I'm really hoping someone can relate to one of these. It will make me feel much less worse)
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    All of the above, lol.

On thing that did help with the random names was when I used to have a shell extension that showed thumbs of formats like tif/targa/pcx, but I'll be buggered if I can find it again, post re-install. It certainly helped quickly view stuff, I don't want to load adobe bridge everytime I wanna see what the hell a file is. :poly117:
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Not using anatomy reference as much as I should
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I fist started using Max I kept hitting shift+X (hide ui) instead of shift+a my zoom extents key and kept thinking the software was half-crashing or something. I wish I was smarter :P
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol Dreamer, I do the same thing. You complete a model and think it's finally done and you call it "final", but then you figure out you need to chamber all the edges or something and then you call it "final final," and so on and so forth until you have "final_final_final_forrealzfinal_lol_really.obj"
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omg I used to do this with the max auto-save... When max does it's "crash every 2 mins" trick (I'm still on max 8 at work) I wound up with scene4_recover_recover_recover_recover.max

Lol Dreamer, I do the same thing. You complete a model and think it's finally done and you call it "final", but then you figure out you need to chamber all the edges or something and then you call it "final final," and so on and so forth until you have "final_final_final_forrealzfinal_lol_really.obj"
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    done a lot of the maya/photoshop related things mentioned above.
    so my friends and i were in our 3rd month in Full Sail. we thought we were hot sh_t so we got with some programmers also in their 3rd month trying to make a game together. so instead of binding the character meshes to their rigs, we cut up the body parts and parent them to according joints so we didn't have to deal with painting weight. instead of making texture maps and coloring them in photoshop, we just slapped some different colored lambert materials on the geometries.
    we never knew why nothing worked till months after...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mechadus wrote: »
    Omg I used to do this with the max auto-save... When max does it's "crash every 2 mins" trick (I'm still on max 8 at work) I wound up with scene4_recover_recover_recover_recover.max
    It's more like it crashes every 2 min, when you open a corrupt file and it continues to be corrupt... heh.

To be honest you're on a prehistoric version of max which was notorious for corrupting its recovery files when it saved while crashing. Since you're on max8 you should be opening the latest /autoback file not the recovery.
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, I know that NOW :P I was talking like 6 years ago when I started with max ;)

Vig wrote: »
    It's more like it crashes every 2 min, when you open a corrupt file and it continues to be corrupt... heh.

To be honest you're on a prehistoric version of max which was notorious for corrupting its recovery files when it saved while crashing. Since you're on max8 you should be opening the latest /autoback file not the recovery.
  • Wayfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fousing on the details and not on the whole, then discovering that one part of the char looks different and more polished than the other, making it look crap.
    And the same as Dreamer, having Gigs of OBJ , tools and shite under unrecognizable names, all on one single folder of Doom:poly122:.
  • mayaterror
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mechadus wrote: »

In school I was working on a team animation project in Maya 2.5 that was supposed to use Dynamics/Physics Simulation. Well, anyone that's worked with a physics sim knows that some crazy stuff happens during development. It started getting frustrating trying to get it right, when we finally did, we called the file "4ChristsSake.mb" then started working off of that - then after baking keyframes that led to gems like "4ChristsSakeItsBaked.mb" and of course "4ChristsSakeItsBakedFinalRender.mb"

I think some people on the team were ready to mutiny near the end.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    oh where to start....
    UDK:

Hitting the W key for the move tool and wondering where everything has gone.

Panicing cos you cant find anything from your package in the content browser and realising that at some point you had typed something into the search bar.

Not using lightmassimportancevolumes on a light bake and wondering why lightmass is taking an hour :D

Maya:

Caps Lock!! thank god for NeX

Thinking that you are renaming an object in the outliner, but without the name being active (does that make sense?)so that all you are doing is hitting random hotkeys.

Organising additional uv sets on a model outside of the +1 UV space and thinking that all map transfers are broken cos they render out blank maps.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Hitting browse instead of open in Photoshop and opening the goddamn abode bridge.

God what I wouldnt give to get rid of that stupid ass bridge button.

Not locking my computer when going to lunch my first week of work to come back to find my new wallpaper is 2 fat gay guys having sex on it.

Painting on the wrong layer gets me all the time.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »

Not locking my computer when going to lunch my first week of work to come back to find my new wallpaper is 2 fat gay guys having sex on it.

Lol, does that wallpaper thing happen on the job? That's high-larious!
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Happened all the time in school, once you are actually working in production and it costs you productivity, those little pranks stop being as funny :P
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Accidentally pressing "X" at some point while working in max and wonder why the fuck my gizmos aren't showing up.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    When i first started out in max, I always accidental hit the space bar and almost rage quited the program because I couldn't figure why the fuck it wouldn't allow me to select other objects/polies/verts and so on... Then I learned about that horribly annoying function and since then, my life has been at peace
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Lol, does that wallpaper thing happen on the job? That's high-larious!

Oh it indeed it. Granted it was my first week and im sure it was part of the fun hazing of the new guy as it hasnt happened since. was pretty hilarious.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Mine: Trying to figure out which modelling package is the best one!
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    having to google to find the polycount wiki for the first time.

:-/
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Cyrael wrote: »
    having to google to find the polycount wiki for the first time.

:-/

Hahaha, I'm still doing that.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    I usually hit a key that changes the center of rotation mode, and then go crazy when I can't rotate the camera in Blender. :)
  • dlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dlx
    Way back in Max 5, I got tired of auto backup interrupting my work while it saved large scenes. I thought "I save often enough. I'll just disable auto backup." It didn't take long to regret that. Setting it to a longer interval was less risky but still annoying as hell.

Similarly, when I was in a hurry to work on stuff I would uncheck read-only on an entire folder of files instead of checking them out in Sourcesafe. I only did this on my files, not on any shared work. If you were diligent you could copy your new versions to another location, set the originals back to read-only, check out your files in Sourcesafe, copy the new versions back over, and THEN check them in. Why the hell did I ever think that was easier than just checking them out in the first place?! A few times I got out of sync and forgot which ones were current. Doh! I had to go through the texture files one at a time in Photoshop and compare versions. So stupid.

I definitely was not the only person using this weird workflow. I think my lead would have lost his mind if he knew we were bypassing source control on a daily basis. I look back at that now and cringe. :poly122:
    JohnnySix wrote: »
    All of the above, lol.

On thing that did help with the random names was when I used to have a shell extension that showed thumbs of formats like tif/targa/pcx, but I'll be buggered if I can find it again, post re-install. It certainly helped quickly view stuff, I don't want to load adobe bridge everytime I wanna see what the hell a file is. :poly117:

Thumbplug? http://games.greggman.com/game/tga_thumbnails_for_windows/
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    Autocon wrote: »

one time I didn't lock it and came back to a picture of a dead cat...

yea
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Probably everything in here already posted and especially my hate for:
    I don't want to load adobe bridge everytime I wanna see what the hell a file is.

Bridge must DIE!

So my contribution if not already posted hitting bridge every time by mistake trying to click open file...

Solution:
    LuLz I hated it so much after this post i went to find out how to disable it and all you have to do is rename the folder to Adobe Bridge 4.5 now it's disabled!

SWEET!!!!
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Detaching an element to work on it seperate and forgetting I have clone checked , then wondering why I have Z fighting on that section of the mesh.