Home Technical Talk

Eat 3d or the Gnomon Workshop?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
hey guys. Ive been looking through these sites for character modeling videos . Both sites have excellnt looking tutorials. Eat 3ds using zbrush r3.5 to sculpt a character. gworkshop character modeling for production from ian joyner richard smith vitaly somehing and cajun something. Im just asking you guys which of these tutorials are the best based on whether youve seen them or not. Thanks for your time

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I've seen the Ian Joyner, Vitaly Bulgarov, and eat3d zb3.5 tuts. Ians one is actually quite old, and uses zbrush2, although back then I did get alot out of it. Eat3d and bulgarov ones are much newer and are good, but it really all depends what you want to get out of them.
  • cman2k
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    If you are just learning Zbrush I suggest you go with the Eat3D ones. They are the newest and will be sure to teach you things that aren't yet outdated...which can be confusing when watching old tutorials.

Eat3D stuff is really great quality too. I just picked up the new zbrush ones myself and I'm loving them.

The Gnomon Ones are still great for technique but I suggest learning the basics first on something really recent before diving into that stuff.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Gnomon for theory/technique, Eat3d for practical demonstrated examples.

Thats how I have seen them so far watching a few of each.
  • gibson543
    Offline / Send Message
    alright. Since im pretty much still learning. And zbrush is all new to me. Im goig for eat3d. But now ive seen that 3d total has some ebooks on zbrush character creation. Next gen character creation. Zbrush guide for beginners. And they are all crazy cheap! Im still giong for eat 3d. But should i consider 3d totals ebooks instead?
  • Tom Ellis
    Have a look at:

http://www.digitaltutors.com

I've followed a lot of their training and can't recommend it enough!

They have courses covering pretty much everything, even some game-workflow specific sets.

Their 'next-gen' game character series is great, it goes through the entire character workflow from modelling a base from a concept, through sculpting, texturing, baking and then rigging/animation if you want to go into that too.

The nice thing about Digital Tutors is they do a subscription now so you can sign up for a month say for like $40 and get access to their whole library.

Eat3D's stuff is awesome too, and definitely worth checking out, but I find it's more beneficial when you have the 'basics' down.

I always find Gnomon's training is more of an 'insight' than a tutorial. It's definitely educational to watch how pro's work and you can indeed pick up some great tips/techniques, but as far as actually learning goes, I think Digital Tutors are the way to go.
  • gibson543
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i see your point with Dtutora but since i dont have a job i really vant offoor the monthy subscriptions so my previous questiob still stands
  • pumbaa
    Offline / Send Message
    pumbaa polycounter lvl 16
    What about 3DBuzz's tutorials? I've only watched some of the free ones but I liked those a lot.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I've found Digital tutors pretty lacking when it comes to anything above basic usage of apps, their LMS is really nice. its easy to work with and get at the stuff.

Gnomon seems to be talented people but not always good teachers their tutorials seem to range between awesome to below par. I get the feeling though that their tutors are hired based on artistic talent rather than as teachers. Very Hit and miss. their LMS is pretty crap as well.

3DBuzz tend to be good. Well explained and fun to listen to.

In general I've found it very hard to find consistently good commercial educational material on the web, especially once you get past the technical stage of press this button to do this stage.
  • LetterRip
    Offline / Send Message
    LetterRip polycounter lvl 10
    Digital tutors is worth a 1 month subscription, the video on sculpting aging was good, and one or two of their other sculpting videos was good.

I don't think you can justify more than a one month subscription though - most of the stuff is either too basic, or the individuals don't seem to have enough background to be teaching the materials.

I have the one year subscription to Gnomon and it was definitely worthwhile. The quality is consistently high and I always learn a useful trick or two.

Both of their systems for managing what you watch are kinda sucky.

I haven't purchased any Eat3D or 3D Buzz, so can't comment.

LetterRip
  • gibson543
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you for all of the comments anyone but I didn't get any comments on 3dtotal lol
  • SideEffect
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    does anyone know who did the Eat 3D classical sculpting DVD? I can't find the name of the guy anywhere.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    SideEffect: Not surprised. Lets just say that you probably wont be seeing more work from him anytime soon from what I've heard.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    His Name is 'Rod Seffen' you'll probably find out was poly hertz is alluding to if you google that name.

Lets just say if he's indeed guilty which it looks like he is then his internet nickname is pretty applicable.
  • gibson543
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, final question to bug all of you guys again. Should I go for Eat 3D's Zbrush Bundle. 3D Totals Next-gen character tutorial. Or Digital tutors series on character modeling, detailing and texturing??
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    gibson543 wrote: »
    Im just asking you guys which of these tutorials are the best based on whether youve seen them or not. Thanks for your time

I have the Richard Smith char modelling video. Pretty straightforward. He doesn't show how to model the head of his character but for clothes, sculpting folds, using subtools, using Maya NEX plugin...it's alright.

Also have most of eat3d vids, except for the character and zbrush ones...just didn't feel they'd benefit me at this point in my Zbrush knowledge (where I need to learn more about human head anatomy, for example). Earlier unreal and max 101 vids are pretty good.

DT...got a lot of vids from them too. Not willing to pay up their subscription fee since I already have the vids that I needed to set me on the "right path". Not really impressed with their zbrush stuff. Their Maya library is pretty superb though.

3D Buzz...I currently have a subscription going. A lof of their Maya and Max stuff are using older versions. And I feel their library is pretty strong if you want Unreal training or programming for XNA or Unity.

What I'm realizing, for myself, to get better at character modelling is to get schooled more with anatomy and using the sculpting tools to that.

I recommend Autodesk's AREA section. Lots of good free vids in there for character modelling. Basic...but really that's all you need to get yourself running.
  • mickyg
    Offline / Send Message
    mickyg polycounter lvl 7
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    His Name is 'Rod Seffen' you'll probably find out was poly hertz is alluding to if you google that name.

Lets just say if he's indeed guilty which it looks like he is then his internet nickname is pretty applicable.

That guy was kicked off CGTalk last year if I remember correctly...

Any links as to what happened? You don't hear too much gossip in this field!
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Oh yeah, re: 3dtotal. Their "3dCreative" e-mag has a Cedric Seaut char modelling series going beginning with the Jan 2010 issue.

I think it's alright. He box modeled his basemesh in Max. I think Vitaly does this too but using XSI. So if that's your style, starting with a poly basemesh, you might find it useful. Cost is relatively cheap per issue, versus a vid anyway.

Their "next gen character" downloads however. I don't know man :) If you're blown by the final piece, maybe it would be worthwhile for you to check it out.

If you're starting from scratch, not much Zbrush experience...I recommend Ryan Kingslien vids followed by the latest Zack Petroc ones. More on anatomy fundamentals but I think more useful in the long run than specific pro techniques that could change per software evolution.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    mickyg wrote: »
    That guy was kicked off CGTalk last year if I remember correctly...

Any links as to what happened? You don't hear too much gossip in this field!

http://www.u.tv/News/Man-accused-of-spying-on-teen/b4b35da0-57e2-41cf-bf16-b41ff74f01fc

pretty sad really. I know he wasn't popular(lots of people hated his tendency toward brutal critique), but he was one hell of a great sculptor. not that im in any way condoning what he's been charged of
  • mickyg
    Offline / Send Message
    mickyg polycounter lvl 7
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    http://www.u.tv/News/Man-accused-of-spying-on-teen/b4b35da0-57e2-41cf-bf16-b41ff74f01fc

pretty sad really. I know he wasn't popular(lots of people hated his tendency toward brutal critique), but he was one hell of a great sculptor. not that im in any way condoning what he's been charged of

Woah. I'll stop polluting this guys thread, but that is f**ked up...
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    gibson543 wrote: »
    yeah i see your point with Dtutora but since i dont have a job i really vant offoor the monthy subscriptions so my previous questiob still stands

www.cglearning.com

is another great site for free that you can learn off without any hassle with money.

I too side with Creation 22. Try this for a month and there is soo much you can learn in just one month (that is if you choose to stick with one modeling program)
  • gibson543
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright thanks for all of the input guys. I'm going for Digital Tutors just because it's cheaper and I have a month to raid their library thanks for the help everyone :)

BTW, messed up shit with that sculpting guy
  • gannonroader
    Offline / Send Message
    gannonroader polycounter lvl 8
    Although the eat3D tutorials are amazing, I find they go to fast, and assume too much. If you can follow along though, you're gonna learn a lot, and pick up some great habits.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I find Eat3d and Digital Tutors are more exciting for beginners to watch as they walk them slowly through the process and give good detail while Gnomon is really once you get to the point of knowing all the tools, just learning different techniques.