Home Technical Talk

3ds max ribbon "drag"

Hey,
its really annoying me so long time and i think now its time to make a change !
In Max you can easily move verts / edges / polys / elements in to space with the "drag" tool.
Cool function, not so good like xsi but its "ok".

The problem is that you have push evertime the "alt" key on your keyboard to move you vert's freely. Otherwise it will be use the functions you switched on (default - Grid).

Any chance to change the hotkeys in the max scripts ?
I'm new in maxscript and its not easy for me to find the place and what i have to change.

Replies

• undoz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think those shortcuts are hardcoded coming from Polyboost. It is simpler to get used to it.
  • LiselottePulva
    thanks for you answer undoz -thats really pity !! i checked many solution but the drag tool are simple the best for tweak in max.
    my thumb and my keyboard will hate me... ;)

one more thing:

Any chance to ignore backfacking for this tool ?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To hide backfaces select your object > right click > go object properties and turn on backface cull.

To ignore them from selection right click, go ignore backfaces.

To select polys by view use Graphite Modeling Tools > Selection > By View.
    Its not quite what you're used to but its the best that max has, at least that I've found.
  • LiselottePulva
    thanks vig !! - yeah i tried this settings before

Working fine but not with elements wich are in front of the main element. Error in reasoning: the verts will be included because the normals from the main element are in the same direction.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I think it only checks to see if the face is pointing toward the view and doesn't take into account faces that are behind others but still facing the view. A true raytrace script shouldn't be too hard to write and would replace so much tedium when doing that kind of operation... yet here we sit billions into almost 20 years of development... woot...

I think they need to throw a few more parties on aircraft carriers instead of doing the simple things that make our lives easier =P I mean its not like we don't pay their bills or demand something for the subscription fees.

Ok enough AD hate, I'm just a little pissed that the same bugs I've been dealing with and documenting like crazy for the last 4 years are still in max... Don't mind the bitter crank behind the curtain. heh.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Yea I think it only checks to see if the face is pointing toward the view and doesn't take into account faces that are behind others but still facing the view. A true raytrace script shouldn't be too hard to write and would replace so much tedium when doing that kind of operation... yet here we sit billions into almost 20 years of development... woot...

This! Is it really THAT hard for them do implement proper raycasting? I don't get it... I would kill for a script that did that.