Home General Discussion

3D gaming, what's your opinion on the matter?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
vcortis polycounter lvl 9
Just read this article, and I've seen the technology demo at Siggraph and GDC... it's cool, but I'm not sure what to think, what are your takes on the 3D-mania and the game industry?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/05/05/3d.gaming.future/index.html

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    3D seems like a fad making a come back, I'm sure it will disappear before too long.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Gimmicky bullshit, give me a holodeck!
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    I dont think it will work, if it does great but... yeh gimmick. I havent tried it yet so il wait until then but I dont think the experience is going to be so great to justify the wearing of glasses. however i do wanna play table tennis with that ps3 move :P
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    haha
    ''Loxen: I'm waiting for 3D internet. Think those sidebar and banner ads are annoying now? Wait till they pop out at you in 3D!''
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Way to gimmciky, I dont see it being adopted well. Sure somethings will have it for the sake of having it but I dont see it becoming main stream.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can see the potential of some really immersive stuff with 3D and some of the new motion capture technology coming out, but yeah overall I'm going to have to agree. I find it kind of gimmicky, and not to mention it looks like the price to even get this stuff to work is going to be pretty hefty....

It looks like it's going to be at least a good 5-10 years before they get it to a point that's acceptable... and knowing the american public and market, it might not last that long.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Gimmick, at least in its current incarnation.

Now 3 screen gaming, THAT'S the future! ;)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZNgyPbga3g[/ame]
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    I tried it and was quite cool for a while... but I'm not sure I'd stand playing an entire game with 3d glasses.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with the majority here... I think it's a fad that the big corps are just trying to push to sell hardware.

Call me old-fashioned but I really dislike this whole 'future of gaming' thing. I'm generally not into any of the 3D, motion controller, Natal stuff...

The way I see it, when I wanna play a game, I wanna sit down and play through something with a good story, some action, online or offline and of course nice graphics and animation etc are always a plus. Alternatively, get some friends round, play some sports games or SF or something.

If I wanted to swing some hand held thing round like a jackass I'd go outside and play baseball, or go bowling or play tennis or whatever.

I just think games have been fine for 20+ years in their current format, why the sudden drive for this extra stuff like 3D, Natal and Move / Wii... the only reason I can see it being pushed so much is that it's instant appeal to 'non-gamers' and that's a big opportunity for profit for all involved, especially the hardware manufacturers.

EDIT:

So I don't sound like a complete caveman I should add that I'm all for developing tech for games in their current format... furthering graphics capabilities, better mocap etc, Normal mapping, SSAO etc etc as well as the consoles/components improving, but the peripheral hardware tech can stay as it is please.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    i have wanted a holodeck since startreck next gen season 1!!!!!!

at night, i like to think up ways to solve the whole moving floor thing or ways you could simulate physical contact. omg, dont get me started.

separate thread?
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think those Big Corps want to make everyone into Avatars... only inside a virtual world. Pretty soon we will all be sitting in pods with straps to our brains and running around (virtually) on Pandora.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    3D has been out for the PC for a few years. Already.. I noticed Bioshock 2 supported it. If nothing else, the 120hz monitors are easier on the eyes on 2d.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    If it's done right and you have the equipment, it's actually pretty cool.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Gimmick, at least in its current incarnation.

Now 3 screen gaming, THAT'S the future! ;)

I support 3 screen gaming :thumbup:
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Its 2O1O and I still haven't seen a whiff of a hoverboard, or flying car. Now they try to distract me with this?

no fucking deal.
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While im sure some games would use 3d in gimmicky ways, it have to say i really like it. Batman, bioshock 2 and resident evil 5 all has awesome 3d that totally enhanced the game for me, further research and practice will only yield titles that use 3d even more effectively, Arguing the pricing point is not really valid, as many of us pc gamers already have 4-500 dollar graphics cards, or expensive mice and keyboards. People used to argue that all the graphics where giong to kill the game industry too, but really im finding it harder and harder to play last gen games, and feel entertained, when i have grown accustomed to hi-fidelity visuals. What is more important is what format becomes dominant, will it be synced glasses, anaglyph, 3d monitors, or will they finally develop a display capable of doing polarized 3d like in Imax. Nvidia already supports synced and anaglyph, and 3rd party drivers allow you to use synched, anaglyph, 3d monitors, etc on ati hardware, so it will just be a matter of time before the technology is highly accessible, and highly integrated into your game experience. Im all for advancements, peripherals can do a lot for games, just think of what the mouse did for first person shooters.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    3D can be very entertaining. When done right, it has the potential to add to the experience. But when done wrong, it can detract from it. So it is much more of a gamble than previous advances in gaming technology.

The first major step forward in 3D gaming will most likely be the Nintendo 3DS. It's going to be one of the first widely commercially available products that won't require the use of any glasses or filters. And of course, it will have the benefit of the DS's massive marketing success behind it. It's a shoe-in for broadening the demand for this kind of technology in games as well as film.

In its current state, 3D gaming will remain a plaything for those with too much disposable income, definitely a minority given the state of the global economy.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    For some reason wearing 3D glasses and watching movies in 3D makes me queesy and unsettled. So I doubt i can play videogames with it. But honestly, I think it's too gimmicky...but if it works well for a game and people want it? Why not. I can imagine it being cool for a racer, perhaps.
  • Joseph Silverman
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ Such an epic voice... wish mine was a silky smooth as that....

errrrr anyways...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    3D games (or at least the Avatar game) don't work particularly well because unlike a 3d movie where someone has full control over the camera and particularly the depth of field. Because you can go to and look at whatever you like in a game you get loads of problems with things blurring out or not blurring out in the correct places which breaks the illusion, messes with the users head and leads to a somewhat unpleasant experience. Given time the technology may mature to a degree where this isn't an issue, but I'd suggest thats quite a ways of yet.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    3d sucks. I'm not down until I get holograms or plugs that go into my brain. Even then I'll still probably like 2d stuff.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    it gonna be huge. garenteed. maybe not for quite some time, but i garentee it will happen eventually. i checked out the 3dtv that futureshop has on display, and it really did look like it did in the theaters. yes, right now we still have to wear glasses, but i wouldnt be surprised if they eventually came out with one that doesnt need glasses. when that happens, 3d gaming is going to be huge. ESPECIALLY for FPS. but, yes, it is still far away from being a reality
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I saw the demo at GDC, the one where it showed the grass-filled overgrown jungle environment, and it looked really nice.

That said, I'd really like stereoscopic 3d to go away, because even though it was pretty, it is definitely not something I could look at for a long time, nor the way I wish to experience a game.

Additionally, I don't think this is an all or nothing proposition. Some games, like wii sports or similar games could benefit from this technology. So in my view, we may see some adoption of this into a somewhat hybridized game catalog in the future.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    I'm willing to give adding 3D to everything a go--once they can do it all WITHOUT the stupid glasses.

Until then, no dice.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    hmm!! They forgot to include "How to train your dragon"

My opinion on this matter. Is nothing but more wasting of money. This stunt will work only on FPS or Flying video games.

Would anyone want to see prince of persia type of games in 3d? It will just kill the entire market of it.

Also I doubt that anyone would play RPG or RTS in 3d.

So benefits with this stunt in game are extremely limited.

EDIT: I would love to play Doom 3 in 3D or F.E.A.R 2. <.<