Home Technical Talk

Topology Issues/Help! [Maya]

Hi guys,

I'll try and keep this short -

Basically I have to create a character in Maya, and I have more or less made my character but I know the topology isn't right for games/animation situation. What I've done is I've created the head, ears, body and arms seperately, and then I've just combined them ,there's bits sticking inside and I can delete the faces, for example look at the eyes, its just two spheres that have been pushed into the head, I know this is baaaad and lazy, but when I tried to extrude and create everything from one shape it was coming out too messy!

So I've combined all the parts but not deleted the faces, do I have to cut a hole and merge the vertices? I tried that, it was messy too...I just want to know what is right, it's for a 3D module and my lecturer refuses to help!

Thanks.

avg474.jpg

b4w22o.jpg

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Unless your doing it for a 3D print, no need to make it air tight. Intersecting geometry and multiple elements/shells are fine.

Having said that, the body should almost always be one piece when their aren't clear areas of the design to separate the parts. In your case with he bat-creature you should try merging the different body parts, but atm the density difference is too great. The legs/arms/head are much too dense for what you trying to achieve, and the wings are just cutouts made of huge n-gons (bad!). Take a look at the mobile art thread for ideas on how to optimize it:

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=41232&page=172
  • neovirtu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Unless your doing it for a 3D print, no need to make it air tight. Intersecting geometry and multiple elements/shells are fine.

Having said that, the body should almost always be one piece when their aren't clear areas of the design to separate the parts. In your case with he bat-creature you should try merging the different body parts, but atm the density difference is too great. The legs/arms/head are much too dense for what you trying to achieve, and the wings are just cutouts made of huge n-gons (bad!). Take a look at the mobile art thread for ideas on how to optimize it:

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=41232&page=172

Thank you for your hasty reply.

I see what you mean, there's alot more density in the arms for example rather than the body....either I can tone it down, but this will lose the shape I am going for, and it has to be a proper shell as it is for coursework, so the guidelines are that the topology has to be correct for animation/game setting.