Home Technical Talk

Zbrush > Max scale problems

Hey there,

I'm having a scale issue with ZBrush which I've never encountered before.

I exported a base mesh OBJ from Max, just a single mesh. Imported it in ZBrush, subdivided, sculpted, exported to OBJ.

Now when I import the mesh back into Max, the scale is totally different and the pivot point has changed entirely.

I didn't do anything out of the ordinary in ZBrush, yet somewhere, the scale/pivot got screwed.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Replies

• cw
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    check your .obj importer settings. I had a similar thing in the sculpting challenge and it was the obj import to max where the scale was thrown off, theres a scale factor in there somewhere you can alter.

Worth a try?
  • LiselottePulva
    yeah check the box on import, individuell settings and select the settings for zbrush.
    Otherwise just give "gomax" a try - with this plug the "fix scale" also implemented.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Always reset xforms before exporting or rigging dude.
  • kite
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    the moving pivot is a bit of a puzzle, funky scaling can be corrected by manually typing in the correct export coordinates in zbrush

so restart the program, select a zsphere, reimport the original correctly scaled max .object into it. Scroll down to tools>export.
    There's a whole bunch of coordinates; scale, x offset etc. Try exporting the object back out of zbrush without making changes. if the scale of the exported object matches up with your maxfile make a note of the coordinates and just type them into the tools>export bit of your incorrectly scaled model, should export at the right size and position.
  • Tom Ellis
    Thanks for the replies.

I've had a mess around and I've obviously screwed something somewhere along the line because I've just tried reimporting my original base OBJ to ZBrush, subD'ing a few levels and sculpting, exporting to OBJ and back in Max it's fine.

I can't think what I might have done though, I literally just imported, sculpted on a single mesh with no SubTools, and exported and the scale is different. As I said, trying it again on the very same base OBJ and it works fine back and forward with no scale issues.
  • undoz
    Scaling in zbrush involves some sort of voodoo. You should try the GoMax script, it saved my ass a couple of times.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I can't think what I might have done though, I literally just imported, sculpted on a single mesh with no SubTools, and exported and the scale is different. As I said, trying it again on the very same base OBJ and it works fine back and forward with no scale issues.
    Might not have been a zbrush thing, but a Max-export thing?
  • Tom Ellis
    cryrid wrote: »
    Might not have been a zbrush thing, but a Max-export thing?

Nah it was definitely something in ZBrush, sorry I shoulda mentioned in my previous post... when I tried it successfully the second time, I used the same base OBJ that got screwed the first time.

I have no idea what I did but it must have been something, surely ZBrush doesn't just occasionally mess with scaling.