Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP_UDK Environment_Prison

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Oniram polycounter lvl 15
Hey all, i just started on a new 11 week project. much like the 1776 project i worked on the specs are pretty much the same.. 30 meshes.. some custom animations, scripted events.. etc. so ive begun the mesh work. ive got more than im posting but this should do for now. In this prison scene i will be focusing the environment on 3 main rooms.. a security office, the main prison corridor (multiple floors), and maybe a cafeteria or something.. the third room has yet to be decided.

so here's some meshes.

NewCam.jpg

TV-Highpoly.jpg

bed01.jpg

bed02.jpg

Replies

• gsokol
    Well..so far you have some pretty nice looking hi-poly models there. Did you use a cloth sim for the sheets? The second one (that is not hanging off the bed) looks a little funky.

Sounds like a fun project. Do you have to fill the requirements yourself? Or is this a team thing? If you are own your own, it looks like you are going to have a busy 11 weeks ahead of ya.

I'm looking forward to the progress on this!
  • limesimme
    Offline / Send Message
    limesimme polycounter lvl 11
    What's up with all UDK threads end up with alot of "_"? Bit strange if you ask me, anyhow, you seem to be off to a good start. And I have to agree with gsokol that the second bedsheet looks "funky", good luck with this!
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    @ gsokol: yeah i used cloth for the sheets. just a quick n dirty way of starting it out. then went into zbrush and move some stuff around so i could get rid of pinching. the one you mentioned was all weird is because the cloth was folded back on itself before simulating, and i still need to move some verts around to get rid of overlapping areas. and yeah, this one is a solo project just like the last one. same as i did 13 weeks ago. up through week 6 of working i am getting into the rhythm of things but after that it pretty much just takes off. thx for the feedback

@limesimme i dunno about everyone else.. but for me its a naming convention thing. in udk i name everything with a "_" so its always SM_Pipe01 or Camera_Mat.. etc.
  • Snight
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    limesimme wrote: »
    What's up with all UDK threads end up with alot of "_"? Bit strange if you ask me, anyhow, you seem to be off to a good start. And I have to agree with gsokol that the second bedsheet looks "funky", good luck with this!

It's because unreal doesn't recognize spaces. And_it's_cool_to_use_underscores.
  • limesimme
    Offline / Send Message
    limesimme polycounter lvl 11
    @Oniram & Snight: I see, no_spaces_in_Unreal :V
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    I_think_With_underscores

always a mistake to start building props befor at least blocking out the env...wheres the block/layout

propping a scene out should come between second and third pass IMO

owen_shepherd.bmp
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    while i agree with you 100% on that.. my first deadline is to have meshes done. i have a general concept sketch of the layout which i dont think ill be posting just because of the horribleness of it. lol.

thx_for_the_input
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    so i got a few more assets.. i had some extra time today to render out a few, but it seems that for the next few weeks ill only really be showing completed (lowpoly textured) objects.. but figured id show some sort of an update. ill have a few others done (highpoly) by the end of the day.

Desk01.jpg

Fan01.jpg

FilingCabinet02.jpg

Toilet01.jpg

enjoy

EDIT! let me add a HOLY SHIT to this update. as i was transferring all of my work from my main hard drive to my portable one.. the computer crashes with some System Disk Error. I unplugged my hard drive, didnt think too much of it (i had ejected the HD before the crash but it was still plugged in), and when i went to open up the files on another computer.. what do i find!?

ERROR!!!

almost ALL of my work for this project was corrupt. though luckily the ones that made it were the ones that mattered. So fortunately i was able to get back pretty much all the work i lost. :D

alright.. heart attack over.. back to work. cheers.
  • wasabi
    These are some nice highpoly models..
    I love them!!
    These might be simple assets but you modeled them perfectly...
    Now I want to see how your lowpolys will turn out..
    Great works!!
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really nice work mate, great renders!
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    been some time since ive posted anything on this.. figure some sort of an update is due. working on UDK stuff now. just want to establish the general feel of the scene right now, while also trying to figure out some buggyness. the hanging lights are set to be shot and swing around, as well as the doors are set up to open and close.

Shot-1.jpg
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    So ill call this pretty much finished. Ive got 2 different light setups, lighting was a bitch for this scene. Im kinda digging the first one a bit more tho. Let me know what u think.

Final01.jpg

Final02.jpg
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Second one. Makes more sense with the tungsten lightbulbs.
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Not a bad start.

I would probably opt for a different brick texture so you don't get weird tiling lines.

Looking forward to more :)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    texturing- make some trim textures for the two horizontal ledges\floors, will add so much to the scene...

also more interesting lighting maybe the window you had in the first shots could cast some blue into the scene from the oposite end
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    thx for replies. here's some more shots. pretty heavy

Cam03_Lit.jpg
    Cam03_Unlit.jpg
    Cam02_Lit.jpg
    Cam02_Unlit.jpg
    Cam04_Lit.jpg
    Cam01_Unlit.jpg