Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Sure sounds like it. Thanks Aesir!
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    This type of shit is why I don't use McAfee. That and the fact that their constant pestering is as bad as the spyware they claim to prevent.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    ...Loading the website at the top of this page gets me a fucking virus warning on Avira? Anyone else with this problem, if so removing the link would be nice D:
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I gave up on all these bullshit anti-virus programs years ago.

Regular backups + common sense + up to date Windows 7 + Microsoft's free programs = no problems.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I hate anti-virus as much as the next guy. Avira for example, which used to be good, spams me with more crap than any virus would. I couldn't take it any more and sought out other anti-virus solutions.

So, I bucked up and bought eset. I hate to pay for anti-virus, but I have to say this one is actually worth it. It silently protects your computer, no warnings or garbage like that. And if you find that its blocking something you need, its really easy to let it pass threw.

But yeah, I feel your pain.

http://www.eset.com/
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh wow - another faulty antivirus update scuppering computers?

I was hit by a similar update by Bullguard (uses the BitDefender virus database so all programs rolling out the newest BitDefender definitions were hit) as was CJE from here - we both had to do a fresh install of windows.

I have moved on to using the trial of AVG but am no sure if I am going to keep using after the 30 days free use are up as I am sure it is causing problems with my mobile internet connection. Does anybody have any good suggestions for anitvirus/ firewall programs?
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    NOD32 or Kaspersky. Neither of them have caused me any problems when I've used em.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    I just did an update which mcafee state as a fix and once I restarted afterwards I cannot open mcafee at all, my machine is perfectly fine though but nothing opens when I click on mcafee, I think its disabled most of my startup programs aswell like skype and messenger nothing drastic. maybe they shut everything down until a proper fix is available.

I still like mcafee, I used to use AVG but it didnt protect my machine too well and my sisters machine got completely screwed by it. Ive only ever had a few issues with mcafee and it took me a few hours to sort each time but its protected me really well over the years
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Recently i have install avast free version does very good job till now..
    I like there Silent/Gaming mode no-pop no nothing :)
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Im using the free version of avast. Works well enough for me. At my last job they used the paid version of avast and we had no issues there either.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    crazyfool wrote: »
    I just did an update which mcafee state as a fix and once I restarted afterwards I cannot open mcafee at all, my machine is perfectly fine though but nothing opens when I click on mcafee, I think its disabled most of my startup programs aswell like skype and messenger nothing drastic. maybe they shut everything down until a proper fix is available.

Can you even see what DAT version your McAfee is running? Should be 5959.
    This is the fix that McAfee is touting (run it in safe mode): http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/tools/SDAT5958_EM.exe

Is that the fix you ran? If that doesn't work, I performed the steps below on a few computers yesterday (and it worked fine. Also, you get the extra.zip and 5959xdat.exe from: http://vil.nai.com/vil/5958_false.htm)

1. BOOT the computer in SafeMode
    2. OPEN extra.zip
    3. EXTRACT EXTRA.DAT to C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Engine
    4. INSTALL 5959xdat.exe
    5. REBOOT the computer to a Windows XP CD
    6. SELECT the option to boot to your CD/DVD device
    7. SELECT the option to launch the Recovery Console by pressing R
    8. SELECT the appropriate Windows installation by entering the corresponding number
    9. ENTER the local administrator password when prompted
    10. TYPE & ENTER: expand D:\i386\svchost.ex_ C:\windows\system32\
    11. TYPE & ENTER: y to overwrite the file
    12. TYPE & ENTER: exit
    13. REMOVE the CD
    14. BOOT to Windows XP
    15. ENSURE that McAfee is running version 5959.DAT (click on About McAfee)

Hope that helps those of you still fighting this mess.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    thanks miles, I dont think I got the problem thats going around, but im just locked out of mcafee for some reason. I got a prompt saying update mcafee now due to this issue blah blah blah and so did and it required a reboot, now im locked out of mcafee and in the task manager it is running but the memory usage is far lower than normal for mcagent.exe and other mcafee items, everything else is perfectly fine though, internets fine, svchost.exe fine and most importantly all my softwares running fine.I just thought they did a lockdown while a proper fix is being made

gonna try another reboot now after installing mcafees fix and see what happens.

edit ; everythings fine phewwww, bit scared as it was a new interface upon startup to what Im used to but yea everythings hunky dorey, was worried as Im finishing a contract tomorrow and thats the last thing I need.