Home General Discussion

Kick-Ass out, n doing its thing

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Calabi polycounter lvl 12
I couldnt find any threads for this film(why not:poly127:).

Trailer:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krOzVRj9z88[/ame]

Saw it today and it was awesome, took the mickey out of lots of other hero films. Nick Cage did a great impression of Batman(Adam West). Lots of gore and swearing mostly instigated by a scary 11 year old girl. Was very politically incorrect, and its mostly British, Yay!

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm interesting in seeing this, but I'm waiting for video on it. I honestly think it's going to be a dud in the theater run, based on the oddball appearance of it (or how people will perceive it). It sort of reminds me of Mystery Men, but funnier ;)
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it's out in the UK?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I wanna see this in theaters.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, it's been out in the UK for a few days now. Not out in the US until mid-April, if I remember right. Looks pretty funny! I'm still torn as to whether I'll like it or not, though.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    I'm interesting in seeing this, but I'm waiting for video on it. I honestly think it's going to be a dud in the theater run, based on the oddball appearance of it (or how people will perceive it). It sort of reminds me of Mystery Men, but funnier ;)

I've heard that also, probably because its not too cliche, not from hollywood, and its not a familiar ip.

Its not that much like Mystery Men really, no superpowers, it tries to be more realistic. It has more serious elements, you sort of dont know what to expect, the type of film where you think, or at least I did, anything could happen.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    I saw the advanced preview at Cineworld last Friday, best film of the year so far.

Its one of those movies that flows so well together, you will never find a boring or average moment. Its definitely worth a watch.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Now damn it I know someone posted this here awhile ago when it was announced (didn't it change names or something?)

Anyway, I don't know if I could take a movie like this seriously, but it looks decent.... Is it really not supposed to be funny?
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its only in America where a film has to be only one thing or the other, but not several. I've seen Asian films that are like a comedy and a serious drama rolled into one.

Kick Ass is more along the comedy side, it doesnt take itself seriously at all.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I don't see how a film named Kick Ass could take itself too seriously...

Anyway looks like a quality film. Hopefully I'll be able to see it in theaters.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Just saw it. It's great.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I'm looking forward to seeing this. I love me a good comedy, and the premise sounds fun.

Plus the fact that is has nicolas cage and he isn't plastered on every single piece of marketing material is a good sign.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Im looking forward to seeing this as well. Wasn't completely blown away and wasn't really interested until my girlfriend starting talking about it. She has a thing for Aaron Johnson though, so she might be biased!

I liked him in Nowhere Boy, not sure what he's like in other stuff.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    I want to see it, but I don't want to feed Millar's ego...
  • Steviant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I utterly despised the comic. Still, I was excited about the movie when the first couple trailers came out, but to be honest between what the later trailers showed and having been so inundated by the advertising, wherever I go, I really can't bring myself to care about it. It might well be funny, and clever, and all kinds of other good things, but I don't think I'd be able to enjoy it knowing that it was adapted from possibly my most hated comic of all time, and that the hype is unbearable (I had less of a clue about Avatar than I did about Kick Ass, which goes to show how disconnected I am from this kind of thing normally. Still it wormed its way in).

Ah well. Could well be my loss.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I hate Nicholas Cage.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jesus.. so many winy bitches in here!

GOD!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    ZacD wrote: »
    I hate Nicholas Cage.

Oh i don't think he cares, hes probably to busy selling castles and cashing cheques :P
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    This is easily Cages best role in years. He knows his part in the film, and he camps it up like Adam West in the old Batman series.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Nicholas cage acts the same in every movie and feels robotic. Including in that preview.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Watched it last week, loved it! Nicholas Cage was actualy pretty good in this. I definitely recommend it, it's not cliche at all I thought.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    dude....

"I utterly despised the comic"...yet you were excited about the movie? wtf really...the trailers have been pretty close to the comics from what I've seen. So you hate the source material yet are in anticipation of a film based on it?
  • Steviant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku: "Was" excited, past tense. It was the last issue of the comic that was the nail in the coffin, as I was still in the early issues when the first trailers came out, and the comic just got steadily worse as it went on, I thought. Really really great idea, lost it for me on the execution. The movie looked more like my kinda thing than the comic was, a bit more light hearted.

(SPOILERS)

It looked like they'd changed the tone quite considerably, particularly in the scene where Big Daddy shoots Hit Girl in the chest for training, which is a lot darker in the comic than it appears to be in the movie. In general it looks like Nic Cage did a good thing with that role.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Won't be out for another week here... can't wait! The clips look awesome and it's gotten a 90% on rottentomatoes!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From what I've read the film goes in the complete opposite direction at the end, from the comic.

I dont think thats too big of a spoiler.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Amazing film, loved it. Really funny and great performances all round.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Steviant wrote: »
    gavku: "Was" excited, past tense. It was the last issue of the comic that was the nail in the coffin, as I was still in the early issues when the first trailers came out, and the comic just got steadily worse as it went on, I thought. Really really great idea, lost it for me on the execution. The movie looked more like my kinda thing than the comic was, a bit more light hearted.

(SPOILERS)

It looked like they'd changed the tone quite considerably, particularly in the scene where Big Daddy shoots Hit Girl in the chest for training, which is a lot darker in the comic than it appears to be in the movie. In general it looks like Nic Cage did a good thing with that role.
    Fans of the comic are raging it up, saying its been sanitised and made considerably less grim. I couldn't say one way or the other, but I'm quite looking forward to checking out the film.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    edit...there was a thread! surprise surprise!

so yeah, just came back from this, and all I got to say is FUCK YEAH!! Kick Ass rocked! I really did not expect much from this movie at all to be honest. a few friends were telling me about it and the comic that its based but I really didnt do much researching before hand. I saw the trailer and got some kinds of Superbad vibes from it. But boy oh boy the actual movie couldnt have been any further than that tho. This movie had a whole lot going for it, I mostly enjoyed the dialogue, and the humor; which was at times better than most pure comedies out there these days. I'm sure a lot of other comic book and video game geeks will dig it as well
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    you've piqued my interest slightly but fear that maybe only people who say "boy oh boy" will like this movie
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=71544&page=2

Sorry to burst your bubble, haha. But yeah, I really wanna see this, looks hysterical.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek wrote: »
    you've piqued my interest slightly but fear that maybe only people who say "boy oh boy" will like this movie

dont be silly. YOU SEE IT NOW!
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it was pretty meh for me. i dont know, something about the little girls acting killed it for me.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Merging threads...
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    had this movie in last sneak peak (won't be official out here until next week). it's like the greatest movie that has been made in a decade if you like tarantino-sque cinema and can enjoy movies like superbad. Because it kinda felt like someone crossed Superbad with Kill Bill and random snippets from any Comic Movie.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    i saw this two weeks ago... i liked it. i didnt love it but i liked it
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it yesterday. Pretty good movie. Very violent and humorous.
    Follows similar themes to Batman and Spiderman. Once you put on the mask, you are now responsible for the coming events whether you are ready or not. Oh and you will get your ass kicked. A lot.

Nic Cage was pretty awesome here: Adam West + William Shatner + The Punisher. :D
    And his mannerisms reminded me of my college photography professor. The little hand gestures, the awkward laugh. D:

I think the guy playing Kick Ass would make a good replacement for Toby Macguire as Peter Parker.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    I have this observation about recommendations my brother makes. He fancies himself a connoisseur of all things entertainment, from games to 'film'. This observation is basically anything he absolutely hates, I will probably enjoy.. 9 times out of 10.

Things he likes I will probably not enjoy or not like at all.

He saw the new star trek film 5 times in the theatre. I thought once was enough. Good movie. Not worth paying 60 bucks to see it 5 times.

He hates ff13. I find it not bad, par with 10, not as loathed as 8.

He hates Kick Ass... I found it hilarious. It's beyond parody of superhero comics... almost a parody of a parody genre. It's so outrageously campy and over the top that it hurts in a good way. He judges everything on a pedestal... I judge things on a 'was it entertaining?' basis. There's no message or overall moral to this story... it's just mindless ass kicking.

When the first starship troopers came out, I said "holy shit I want to see that" and then my brother was 'omg that's going to suck so bad k thx bye' then when I rented it he thought it was the most awesome thing ever. There's nothing to that movie... just outrageous mindless entertainment, which Kick Ass has in spades.

People are so picky these days... where's the fun in going and seeing/playing something and then constantly shitting on it? I think that ruins it for everyone else really. This movie isn't exactly trying to be a batman or ironman... it's just plain fun.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, not really looking to see this one. Maybe I'll see it on DVD sometime. I just saw the Hubble NASA Film in 3D Imax, that was pretty sick.
  • Mikee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e-freak wrote: »
    had this movie in last sneak peak (won't be official out here until next week). it's like the greatest movie that has been made in a decade if you like tarantino-sque cinema and can enjoy movies like superbad. Because it kinda felt like someone crossed Superbad with Kill Bill and random snippets from any Comic Movie.

I have to kind of agree. It's like a tarantino-sque movie mixed with some relationship emotions. Nicholas Cage (Big Daddy) and Chloe Moretz (Hit Girl) made the movie for me. Their performances stood out compared to the other actors in my opinion. It's like a parody of superheroes that goes over the top. I'd def. recommend it to anyone who is remotely interested in it.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    Hit girl was the real star of the film
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    awesome movie, and yeah, hit girl was definitely the shit
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I really enjoyed this film. It was funny and really dark, I was expected some spoof on super hero films but was surprised by this. Hit Girl rocked.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    It was funny, dark and had some of the most badass action scenes ever. Hard to believe the studios were telling the director to lose the Hit Girl character, she easily made the film. Just a damn fun film, easily worth seeing in theaters.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Fucking awesome movie. just got back. A righteously intense experience. Not something you take seriously, but it's nice to see something that isn't a serious drama but still contains serious ideas, just succeeds so well at what it's trying to do.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I thought hit girl was going to be the black eye of the movie, but she ended up making it
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I loved the Comic and I loved the Movie. I'm kind of glad the movie took the direction it did during the end...and even kind of tolerated the love interested. I know fans will rage, but it was still really well done. It's not like Wanted, which was a bad ass comic book.. and then the changes they made in the movie which were just unjustifiable.

Go see Kick-Ass!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    was good, better than the comic in some ways, the ending in the comics was more brutal but the movies was more action packed, could have done with out the fucking jetpack though
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How badass was the
    nightvision first person shooter scene
    I was really geeking out at that part
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it Saturday. Thought it was pretty good. Some odd music choices at the end though.

I might pick up the graphic novel this weekend.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    EricV wrote: »
    How badass was the
    nightvision first person shooter scene
    I was really geeking out at that part

That was cool but scene right after with the flashlight-thing was nearly epilepsy inducing. x.x