Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio is here.. finally

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys.

Been working on my portfolio over the holidays and tonight I finally got round to hosting it. It was all coded and designed by moi (with little experience and many tutorials off the net.) It will serve as a place for me to showcase my assignments from college and also personal work.

Thought I'd leave a link for you guys to check it out and give me a bit of feedback. But please bare in mind that I have only been in college for 6 months so the artwork might not be up to scratch (yet) :)

Check it out http://andrewpottage.co.uk

Replies

• KateC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KateC polycounter lvl 7
    I'm a college noob myself, so I feel your pain about not having a great portfolio just yet.

One small thing about your site, and maybe some of the pros around here can either shoot me down or back me up, but I might take out the "aspiring 3D artist" mention. I've always been told that not only should you be aiming to do professional quality work, but also presenting yourself as a professional wherever possible.

Other than that, the simple navigation is great. High fives.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Very clean, simple to use site, displays work and does what its supposed to without over doing it, great job!
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Hey man, good start.

Work hard in school! Your best resource is the internet. Always have reference and don't be afraid to ask questions.

By the way, this is the wrong forum :)
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the comments guys.

@KateC: Yeah I think ill take out the aspiring bit now youve mentioned that. Thanks

@Purplepaint: Thanks man!

@Seaseme: Thanks a lot, I couldnt find the 'portfolio' section of the forum so decided to put it here.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    It belongs in the Pimping and Previewing Forums

A little reading of the sticked threads could be helpful.

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=63361

Good luck with school and work your ass off!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    You should make the default home page your portfolio instead of the latest update. Other than that, the site design looks good.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I personally wouldn't include pieces like concrete barriers on a portfolio - thats like creating a barrel, crate or other boring clich
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Site looks nice and clean, professional. As for the work, if you stick around here and other similar communities long enough you will pick up skills from some of the greatest artists around.

ps: If you get an opportunity to join a mod team later on, do it! This is one thing I was given a chance at but turned down. In retrospect, nothing beats being under pressure to produce something to a certain quality within a certain time.

Good luck :)
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    I've made some small changes to the site such as default home page and the 'motto' under the name banner at the top. As for the barrier work, I will be keeping this until I have more work, just because the page wont look so empty with just 2 pieces and its easier to show friends etc.

Thanks for the tips guys. Ill be sticking round for more.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    renderhjs wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't include pieces like concrete barriers on a portfolio - thats like creating a barrel, crate or other boring clich
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    low odor wrote: »
    Objects not to include in your portfolio: Dumpsters, barrels, crates, concrete barriers..cant think of anything else...

You forgot mailboxes and fire hydrants. Unless it is one badass fire hydrant.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Ott wrote: »
    You forgot mailboxes and fire hydrants. Unless it is one badass fire hydrant.

I personally am a fan of crates and boxes.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    The site is pretty classy, as is the way you entered info for each piece. Just a little bit empty atm. That will change though.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    ZacD wrote: »
    I personally am a fan of crates and boxes.

To master the crate is to master one's self.
  • Timothy_graybill
    I like the site design , nice and simple,

Sorry If I come of as mean, but first thing I noticed was the lack of detail in all of your models with the exception of you concrete barrier, which I think looks nice. but that is one one little part of a whole environment that we should be seeing.

Second thing, You say how much time you spent on every model, so I added them up the time and you spent about 12 and a half hours on your entire portfolio. This is only one day of work in the game industry. To me that means you haven't put much time and effort in your portfolio, or your just lazy. The guys you are going to be competing against will have very strong pieces that they have worked on for months. So I wouldn't even include that bit of information. Again, sorry if I'm being mean but I'm looking at your site threw the eyes of an employer, and I know your a student but better you get this now then after you graduate .

The good thing = Being that your a student you have plenty of time to produce a kick ass portfolio. I can see that you have a good foundation of skills. So use your time at school and learn as much as you can, so that you can make a kick ass portfolio that will impress the hell out of people. Also remember that it is good to specialize, I looks like your going for environments, so be sure to focus in that area and don't show off characters or animation or rigging if your trying to become an environment artist.
    and remember that these things take a ton of time, you can't produce an amazing environment over night.

and make sure that you keep posting your work up here, I know we can be sons of bitches sometimes, but we will help you become a better artist.

I wish you the best and I know that if you keep working at it you can become something great.
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks Tim, its nice to have some feedback from the eyes of an employer (even though I wont be applying for a couple of years yet as I have a couple more years left in college/uni.) But its all good information to have right away so I can act on it and improve my portfolio. I know my work isn't up to industry standard yet which is why Im only asking to crit on my site design.

Thanks for the comments guys.