Home General Discussion

Do you have a GPS? Any Recommendations?

Junkie_XL
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
Yeah so I was thinking of getting a GPS but I really don't know the first thing about their features? Anything I should avoid?

Any specific Garmin models you are a personal fan of?

Replies

• 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have the Garmin 255W and I love it. I got a friction mount that goes on the dash so you avoid the whole "suction cup mark on the window = BREAK INTO ME, there's good stuff in here" deal.

Whatever you get, make sure it has FULL text to speech. That's the difference between "Turn right in 35 feet" and "Turn right on Elm Street in 35 feet".
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    yes, must have full text to speech. I have a TomTom 540 or something and its awesome. The suction thing was kinda short so I bought a universal one for 20 bucks. - so i didn't have to reach to far away from my steering wheel.
    What made me buy besides the full text to speech was the fact that it tells me what lane I should be in on the freeway which is nice if you do a lot of freeway driving.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Have a Garmin Nuvi. Fucking awesome, used it on my road trip from San Diego, worked great and for quite a while when getting to know my surrounding area in Seattle. Use it every now and then for places im not sure about.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I had a CarPC and used one of those USB GPS units and whatever software I wanted.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    i got a garmin nuvi as well, it's kinda cool for the first month or two and when going places you don't know.. was awesome on my drive to Dallas didn't need to open a map once. :D Just plugged in the address and z000m..

Bad things.. they charge for any map updates and they charge 70 bucks or more.. that's suckage right there.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I just got a Garmin Zumo 550. I wanted one I could use on both my motorcycle and my car, so it was betweem the Zumo and the TomTom Rider v2. Garmin is more expensive but just came out better: better water resistance, more control over exact routing, more mounts included. Also more routes online seem to be in Garmin format.

I just got the overall impression you pay more but get betetr quality with Garmin, and i think that matters on something as expensive as a GPS.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Get a droid and use google nav :P My droid pwns my old GPS unit (don't have to pay for updates, don't even have to pay the stupid monthly fee that is usually needed to use GPS on cell phones).

If you don't feel like going that route, I second (third?) the Nuvi. It even comes with 1 free update.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    whatever you get I highly recommend a [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-10908-00-Portable-Friction-Mount/dp/B002OL2MU4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271426721&sr=1-2]Portable Friction Mount[/ame] instead of suctioning the gps to your window, it's kind of a sandbag with a grippy bottom that you mount the unit in, it sits right on your dash.

I found that those suction mounts always fall off and they leave a tell-tale suction mark on your window that cries "smash my window in because there's a GPS in the glovebox!"
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whatever you get I highly recommend a Portable Friction Mount instead of suctioning the gps to your window, it's kind of a sandbag with a grippy bottom that you mount the unit in, it sits right on your dash.

I found that those suction mounts always fall off and they leave a tell-tale suction mark on your window that cries "smash my window in because there's a GPS in the glovebox!"

LOL why don't you pay 28 dollars for it, wait... NO! You can pay 23 dollars and get the 'frustration - free packaging' SCORE!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got a Garmin nuvi 250, and after 2 years went to update maps, well guess what, $80 to download maps once.... $130 to have "lifetime" ability to download maps, but only 4 times a year. Pretty much the cost of a new GPS, which i thought was pretty fucking shitty. When you buy a GPS, apprently "free updates" and the ability to "download maps" means firmware, and you still have to pay for maps, its all quite shady if you ask me.

I think i would look into a Droid with GPS as i assume it uses google maps, and thus a lot more useful than 99% of GPS software, before i would upgrade the expensive maps on this piece of shit. However, you'll have to pay out the ass for monthly data fees this way if you're switching from a regular phone, which would be *much much much* more expensive than paying to update your maps, but if you already have one of these phones or were planing on switching, then it makes sense. For me i think i live it too small of a town to really justify needing a GPS on a daily basis, so i will likely hold off on that for a while.

[edit] Yeah a new Nuvi 255 costs the same as "lifetime" maps: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858108323
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I think i would look into a Droid with GPS as i assume it uses google maps, and thus a lot more useful than 99% of GPS software, before i would upgrade the expensive maps on this piece of shit. However, you'll have to pay out the ass for monthly data fees this way if you're switching from a regular phone, which would be *much much much* more expensive than paying to update your maps, but if you already have one of these phones or were planing on switching, then it makes sense. For me i think i live it too small of a town to really justify needing a GPS on a daily basis, so i will likely hold off on that for a while.

It does use google maps and with the 2.1 update it just got, it allows you to use google earth. Hopefully someday we can use that for navigation!

Google Nav is probably the best navigation app out there now. The movement is spot on and the satellite view gives you a better look at whats around. Plus, it's coupled with google search so you know it's good :P
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    I have a TomTom 330S here. Its pretty good for getting around, and like others I would recommend getting the portable friction mount, and a unit with text to speech. A few things to watch out for when you do finally get one and go to use it:

1. Shortest Route means Shortest Route. If you have a route with 20 turns and it happens to be .01 mile shorter than the route with 1, you'll get the route with 20 turns.

2. Avoid Freeways means Freeways, not highways, parkways, etc. Just Freeways.

3. TomTom has user collaborated map updates. This has lead me to discover a new form of trolling or inconvenient error when requesting the GPS direct me to the Bronx Zoo doesn't mean the actual Bronx Zoo but a strip of unused road behind some warehouses in a bad part of the Bronx five miles from the Bronx Zoo. Apparently there is a similar problem with the Aquarium.

4. Overlapping parallel roads. If it recalculates directions while you happen to be on a road that is above, or below one or more roads, and it can't figure out your altitude, its going to do a best guess. You may not realize there is a problem until it gives a patently impossible direction...for instance, being on an overpass 100 feet off the ground with cement barricades on both sides and being asked to make a right...

So, in summary: Before setting off, check the text based version of the directions. Do edits here and make sure it makes sense and you like it. If at any point it recalculates the route later on, if you can, check it again.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I have a garmin nuvi as well. Pretty good stuff. Though sometimes it takes a ridiculously long time to connect to the satellites, and I've seen others have the same issue. Someone told me it's just Austin but I don't know for sure. Other than that it has an awesome interface and is a pretty cool little gadget!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I have an older Nuvi 205W, and love it. I would agree that you should definitely look for full text to speech (or something saying it will read streets).

Also, I like the 'Lane Assist' that Garmin now offers. I have had many times I've been confused which lane they want me to be in during freeway interchanges.

The negatives though: They charge for map updates, and the system will nag you after the first year, to update the maps. It doesn't nag me every day, but every week or so, I have to clear off the nag screen. (I really hope they've changed this)

Go play with one at BestBuy, or somewhere where there are live units, so you can see if you like the way the menus navigate. My wife hated the TomTom.

Also, only stick with major brands like TomTom, Garmin, and Magellan. I don't trust the cheapy no name shit.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater wrote: »
    It does use google maps and with the 2.1 update it just got, it allows you to use google earth. Hopefully someday we can use that for navigation!

Google Nav is probably the best navigation app out there now. The movement is spot on and the satellite view gives you a better look at whats around. Plus, it's coupled with google search so you know it's good :P

Yeah and smart search where you can just type "hats" or something and get hat stores around you or whatever, instead of needing to know the name and address of every destination you plan on going to. My nuvi has this to an extent, you can search food or gas stations, but for more abstract stuff its useless.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a garmin nuvi as well. Pretty good stuff. Though sometimes it takes a ridiculously long time to connect to the satellites, and I've seen others have the same issue.

I agree, sometimes it will take a while...I have a Garmin Nuvi 255w
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    laptop + cheap dongle + free software = gps without all the bullshit you dont need.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That laptop fits nicely on the dash :P
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! wrote: »
    laptop + cheap dongle + free software = gps without all the bullshit you dont need.

Wait, without all the extra bullshit you dont need, except *a fucking laptop* right?
    =D
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how much is that 'cheap dongle' btw? When I looked into this in the past, that dongle was $99.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    notman wrote: »
    how much is that 'cheap dongle' btw? When I looked into this in the past, that dongle was $99.
    You can get a USB GPS dongle for $40. A bluetooth one for $50~$60.
  • psychoticprankster
    Don't buy Tom , Tom...
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i don't use a gps.. I'm a man.. therefor i know exactly where to go!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    bitmap wrote: »
    i don't use a gps.. I'm a man.. therefor i know exactly where to go!

win !
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like the nuvi uses Garmin City Navigator software for its maps? Can these units be connected to a USB port or something on the PC? ;-)

Are there any GPS units out there that don't charge for map downloads?
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So thanks guys, I just picked up the nuvi 855. Kicks tons of ass. :)

Much cheaper than what Garmin has listed on their site...
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OMGVII

Has lane assist and voice recognition...press a little wireless button strapped to the steering wheel when I want to talk to it. Really sweet. Also grabbed the friction mount and it stays put a lot better than I thought it would.

The woman and I were finding new places to eat at over the weekend. So now I'm all set for the long haul down to Dallas. :thumbup: Thanks again.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    I really like my droid. There is a $10 app to cache maps for hiking or dead zones otherwise it just uses google maps and verizon has pretty good coverage.