Home General Discussion

BIG Monitors

I use a 22 inch monitor but find that I need more space with Max when having multiple viewports up on screen. This is just a thought but, is it a lot easier nicer working on a big monitor like, maybe 26+?

I'm pretty certain it's a no, but is there a way to separate a viewport so that you can put different viewports across two monitors?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    bigger size in inches doesn't help, higher rez is what you need. And 2 or 3 monitors.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah ZacD is right. You need dual monitors, and a monitor that can go to 1920x1200. Makes life so much easier to the point if I use anything else I become seriously uncomfortable.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have 2 and they're high res (1920x1200). The second's good to place dialogue boxes, material editor, render setup etc. onto but you can't separate the viewport windows across multiple screens AFAIK. I'd like to be able to have the four viewports up at once and easily work between them.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    You can maximize the program and drag it across both screens. Then you can resize each window so that it breaks where your monitors separate. That way you can get two viewports on each monitor.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I use my second monitor to watch Hulu while I do 3d on my main.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yes Vcortis, I did that a while back, and forgot. Super Screen. Thanks
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    Personally I think getting a monitor with high resolution with good blacks is more important than size. I have 28in but it has some horrible blacks and it screws with my ability to do symmetrical drawings. 24in w/ multiple monitors is an ideal setup comparatively.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Perspective mode on always. I have a hot key that jumps back to the other 4 othoganal modes. I hardly ever see al 4 at once though unless its to measure something.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    whats_true wrote: »
    Perspective mode on always. I have a hot key that jumps back to the other 4 othoganal modes. I hardly ever see al 4 at once though unless its to measure something.

This.

If you constantly have 4 views up, you're not getting the most of your screen real-estate. In fact, I generally run Max in Expert mode with hotkeys for everything. Tilde toggles maxscript listener (like console in a game. VERY useful for doing quick operations via script). Also have another key to toggle the command panel on and off. Keep it hidden most of the time, and show it only when needed.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    The best combination is to have a large screen in terms of size, that also has an exceptionally high resolution. If you are willing to shell out the necessary cash, you can get very large screens that have amazingly high resolution. And of course, it is also nice to have two of them next to each other.

Personally, I don't like to go without dual-monitors anymore. It's not much good for games, since very few games support dual-monitors. But it is fantastic for general application work. I can be working in Blender on one screen, with a tutorial up in a browser on the other. Ditto for coding work.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I see no benefit of having all 4 views being visible, especially if those 4 views are top, side, front and perspective.

I see some potential for having a camera/realtime view in 1 view while moving stuff around in another view, but still no need for 4 at once.

I have:
    1x 24" 1920x1200
    1x 22" 1680x1050
  • dregoloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    even if you have a secondary monitor working at a low 1024x768, you'll see a noticeable increase in the speed with which you complete tasks.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey, I never went higher than dual 1600*1200 21inch (maybe slightly wider at work)
    Whats your fav resolution and size guys ? What about the uber apple monitors ?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    At work my main monitor is a 30inch, 2560x1600. I do a lot of text editing (shader code, scripting, etc etc) so I have a secondary 20inch(or something) monitor at 1680x1050 I use for text/email/browsing.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    nothing is better then 2 monitors when you're real time texturing, ps one 1 screen, max on the other... oh so good. But yer whenever i model i tend to just model full screen on whatever view i need then switch back and foward via hot keys to match.

Using 2x 22" @ 1680x1050.. but i wana bump up to maybe 24" @ 1900x1200
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Pior: I feel the Apple's are overpriced(shocking i know) you can get a high end dell for 2/3 the price with the same performance(very good color, view angles, etc). Dont get me wrong, they are very very good, Gauss had a 23" at work, but the cost of that was like $999, while my dell 24 ran me $518 shipped. Just way to expensive, probably marginally better performance, but nowhere near the price compared to the excellent Dell screen i have. The problem when you get passed the $500-ish range for a 24" is you get up to $1-3000 for these "professional" monitors, i just dont know how anyone could ever justify that.

I've got a dell 24(2408wfp, 1920x1200) with a Asus pw201 20" as a secondary, i will buy another Equiv Dell 24 as a secondary display before i go to anything over 24" i think. Maybe getting a 26" or 30" as the main and keeping the 24" as secondary, but that just seems quite excessive. I think i'de rather put my money into a better CPU than do that, something that will really increase productivity. =)
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i use dual 21-inch 1600x1200 LG flatron's from years ago. shame they hardly make that resolution/ratio anymore since the 24 inchers are a bit too wide for my liking.
    i also got a dell 2408wfp here. decent monitor, with somewhat messed up colors and a noticeable grain in the image. should be alright for modelling. i however use it for websurfing mostly.

for work - never choose a monitor with less than 1200 vertical rez, i'd say. too crammed an image.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    pior wrote: »
    Whats your fav resolution and size guys ? What about the uber apple monitors ?
    as high rez as possible, apple monitors are good monitors (any of their screens are, that's why there's stuff is more expensive (pure monitors to laptops to ipad), but then they add a few hundred for the name apple.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    For a pure work machine I prefer dual monitors, but at home I have a 30" samsung with 2560x1600 (305t I think? awesome monitor). Very good compromise for a work/gaming machine. Although I've been thinking of adding a 1600x1200 monitor next to it and rotate it 90 degs....mainly just for holding reference images. For menues and toolbars and everything else I have enough space on my main monitor.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Kwramm wrote: »
    For a pure work machine I prefer dual monitors, but at home I have a 30" samsung with 2560x1600 (305t I think? awesome monitor).

$1.3k for that? damn, is it worth it? I might be a good monitor/tv combo, nice resolution on it.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    whats_true wrote: »

This

Also rock 2, 22's.

I have orthographic views on my quad menu.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    I have 2 of the 24" dell ultrasharp widescreens, 1920 x 1200 ones rotated to portrait mode when working on chars.

I want to replace one with a cintiq, i fell in love when i stayed back late one night and pinched one of the concept artists cintiq and had some zbrushing fun.... he noticed some extra nerd butter on his touch pads the next morning... his spidey-sense is insane.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    my screen is 27" with a rez of 2560 X 1440

can have 3 word docs / web pages open side by side easily. Makes a huge difference to my workflow.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Im looking into getting a decent priced high rez monitor, something like 2560 sounds nice
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    What about video memory? I am thinking of getting another 24". I have a GTX 295. In the past I had problems with Unreal/Maya and PS open. Eventually menus stopped showing up.