Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Geri0n's Work

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Geri0n polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys im new to polycount. To tell you a little about myself im a student at the art institute of dallas majoring in a bachelors of fine arts. Im hoping to graduate with a great portfolio and go out into the industry as an environmental modeler for a game or film studio.

I hope that this thread will be something you can keep your eye on and with your feedback i can someday achieve my goal. Let the fun begin. :thumbup:

Replies

• Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
  • Geri0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geri0n polycounter lvl 7
    This was the first assignment i did in my advanced material and lighting.

Blogpost01.jpg
  • Geri0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geri0n polycounter lvl 7
    This is my second assignment from advanced material and lighting.

Blogpost02.jpg
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Hey man I am really liking what you got here. :) I think the barrel needs a bit more to make it pop like your cannon... and you cannon needs a little bit more attention on the textures (they are looking a bit procedural particularly on the front and back of the main cannon). Keep up the good work sir. Would love to see more.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    Good job on the wood. very convincing texture!
  • katerina yonce
    looks pretty good dude...I really like the wood textures.
  • Geri0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geri0n polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks guys.
    And jeremiah i do see what you mean about my barrel textures. I am hoping to open them back up and see what i can come up with to make it a more interesting peice. For the cannon i need to revamp the metal texture altogether. And finalize the brushes.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Good stuff dude. I'd recommend breaking up the smooth surfaces (like the wheels and cannon) by adding a few bumps'n'dents... kinda like the metal-rings on the barrel. It doesn't make sense that the texture conveys such a worn-off surface but the actual surface (conveyed by the highlight) remains perfectly smooth.
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    These are good portfolio pieces. I need to do some like these.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    You should think about toning the spec down on your barrel. make it 1/4th as shiny as it is now. I would also bring the glossiness down as well.

Good rule of thumb: Surfaces that are 100% smooth have the highest amount of gloss, because they reflect light perfectly. This is why polished marble reflects light so well -- it's polished down almost to a perfect smoothness. Wood grain doesn't really have much specularity to it because it's very dense in surface noise, due to the woodgrain. It's only when the wood is sanded, lacquered, and stained that it becomes reflective, because the lacquer creates a smooth coating to reflect the light.

You can do 1 of 2 things for the metal on your barrel. Either remove ALL of the high frequency noise from the normal map on your metal element, and leave the gloss and spec the same, OR you can just bring the specularity and glossiness way down on it.

Go ahead and give it a try and tell me what you think :D
  • Geri0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geri0n polycounter lvl 7
    It has been so long since i have posted in my thread... its a disgrace!

I am going to quickly post some old work and get my thread back on the right track. Please keep in mind that these are older works that are just being posted to hopefully show my improvement, and to be able to greatly show improvement for the future.

This was a globe i did for a class in college.

LfFFq.jpg
  • Geri0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geri0n polycounter lvl 7
    This was a saxophone high poly i did for a class in college.

0HD9L.jpg
  • Geri0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geri0n polycounter lvl 7
    This was a RPG High Poly i did for a class in college.

wob7j.jpg

This was a RPG Low Poly i did for a class in college. The textures are incredibly garbage, but i learned a lot while doing this Lowpoly.

IUvyL.jpg
  • Geri0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geri0n polycounter lvl 7
    This was a Parking Meter High poly i did for a class in college. Probably one of my favorite models i ever did.

XbERk.jpg

This was a Parking Meter Low poly i did for a class in college.

tlaiI.jpg
  • Geri0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geri0n polycounter lvl 7
    This was a Clock High poly i did for a class in college.

qtEeh.jpg

This was a Clock Low poly i did for a class in college.

ukNb9.jpg