Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Character - Modular Costume Swap

Junkie_XL
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
Finished another art test here which I had a lot of fun with. My portfolio lacked a female character anyway. The idea was to keep the same body but then change to a new outfit with mostly a texture swap. I would've made more separate geometry pieces for costume #2 but I ran out of time and had to turn it in.

Curious to get some fresh eyes on it for crits.

Costume_1_Closeup.jpg

Texture_Sheets.jpg

Costume_2_Posed.jpg

ConstructionShot.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Replies

• haikai
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Perhaps it's the posing and lighting, but I think the superhero female came out better than the other. There seems to be a severity in the contrast on the Egyptian (?) woman that makes her body read as kind of lumpy by comparison.

Are both of these characters sharing the same texture layout? It looks like you could have gotten away with mirrored UVs for the Egyptian woman (and even some parts of the superhero woman). Once you factor in normal maps and high res source meshes, I think the production time you save by sharing texture layouts isn't worth the restrictive nature of that approach, but that's just my opinion. :)

I think it could use a little more refinement in the proportions and the execution, but it's very solid work overall. I actually thought some of your other work on your site was stronger though. Really nice modeling work on there.
  • iansmithartist
    Offline / Send Message
    iansmithartist polycounter lvl 15
    On the back of what haikai was saying, I think the proportions of the Egyptian style figure is hard to read in the first image because her body is cropped and we can see the full extent of her proportions, and though her proportions look fine in the 2nd picture in the other her details are masked by the wire frame.

Working with in the limitation of the same base mesh you have done a great job. Great portfolio too.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Cryptic Studios Art Test?
    Looks pretty good! I think the bright highlights you've placed on the diffuse for the Egyptian woman are working against you. In fact, you may very well just have too much baked lighting going on in general.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Her face looks kind of scrunchy, like she's smelling something she doesn't like and it's making her angry. Less texture definition in and around the nose should help to smooth that out so her expression would read more as "determined" (which is mostly an eye and maybe mouth thing) than "disgusted" or "annoyed" (which are mostly nose and upper lip things).

The body looks great to me. The superhero pose looks really cool, but it does make the Egyptian look less cool by comparison. Her asscrack might be kind of dark. Maybe not.

I like how you managed to make them completely different from each other. If I didn't know, I probably wouldn't have guessed they were the same model. The major difference between the two color schemes was probably a good move.
  • ICESPADE
    Offline / Send Message
    ICESPADE polycounter lvl 15
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the compliments and crits. The normal map on the skin portion had increased levels, probably a mistake and resulted in the "scrunchy" look. I ran out of time when it came to posing. The super hero was posed with transpose master instead of a proper rig. I'll get back to that for the Egyptian.

Below are the zbrush models for a better look at the anatomy...which yeah, probably needs revisiting.

PerspClose.jpg

SideViewClose.jpg

PerspEgypt.jpg

Persp1.jpg
  • MaD
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    She has a bit of manly things in here. Not an expert, but her jaws look a bit too blocky and pronounced (more manly) and her shoulders look a bit too wide.
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey MaD. Yeah I get this a lot. She was not really meant to be soft & dainty. A lot of my references were super heroes. Kind of a challenge with trying to look tough but pretty at the same time. I've really only made dudes up till this point.

I guess Hazardous or Anuximoon (sp?) I'm looking at you guys (er guy and gal) for some crits. You both seem to be masters of teh bewbie characterz.