Home General Discussion

Mudbox 2011

Replies

• adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question for the beta testers regarding the posing tools: I understand that they don't yet work in symmetry, and that this can be mostly solved by creating a layer and using the mirror function to transfer the pose across the desired axis, but one thing I'm still a little concerned about is posing along the axis of symmetry (i.e. scaling up a head). Are the posing tools precise enough to allow you to scale up exactly on the axis, so you don't break the line of symmetry?

Hope that question makes some sense.
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ged yeah that one is cool!!

Hey Adam, to answer your question yes, i would snap into my side view and create a joint in the direction i want for areas like head and torso that way the joint is created in the middle and it gives both sides a symmetrical weighting, for arms and such its not a problem as you can do it 2 ways..

1. you can set topological axis, and so if u pose an arm you can right click in the object list and choose mirror x/y/z

2. you can create a pose layer so that the pose is stored on that layer..and you can mirror that layer.

there wasn't enough time to implement some of our other suggestions.
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info, jam, glad to hear there are some viable workarounds for the pose tools until proper symmetry is implemented.
  • retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    Just got this to try it out at work, and I'm getting frustrated with my brushes not going larger than 100, any way to turn that limit off?
  • retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    n/m Don't set units to meters...
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    edit: wrong thread, oops.
  • oglu
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Didn't wanna start a whole new thread about this, so I'm asking here.

I'm using the 2011 demo, and it's been great so far, really liking everything about it. But something weird just happened. I opened up a file Ive been working on, and after some tweaking of proportions, I notice that symmetry is gone. Not turned off, but not where it's supposed to be. I try to set topological axis, mudbox says there's no problem, but when I try and sculpt, it's still off. I exported the lowest div, imported to max, double checked the symmetry which was off a tad, even though it was working fine for a week, exported brought it into mudbox, but the mesh exploded. (Mudbox has never let me import changes to a mesh without exploding the mesh on import. Not sure why, but it's never worked for me in any version I've tried)

So anyone have any idea how to fix this? And more importantly, what went wrong, and how I can keep it from happening again? Thanks

[EDIT] talked to a friend who said this has been an issue since MB 1, and gave me a fix. Import to ZBRush, instead of max, export, and try again in MB. It worked. For the first time ever, the import as layer worked for me in MB!! I'm so happy I don't have to toss this model :
    D
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    You have to make sure that the point order doesnt change when you modify your mesh in an external package. In max that means NO converting to editable poly, NO exporting with 'optimizations' enabled, and anything else that would modify its vert order. As for symmetry, try this (page 3 post by oglu):

http://boards.polycount.net/showpost.php?p=1101506&postcount=62
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that PolyHertz. I didn't know converting to poly would mess with the point order, and I do it every time I import a mesh, no matter what. I'll remember that.

That symmetry suggestion would have worked, but when I was checking it in Max, I saw the symmetry seemed off center, because the mesh was actually rotated slightly. So the symmetry was right, but the mesh didn't line up. I never ever use the rotate or translate tools in MB, so I have no idea how that could have happened, but that was the reason symmetry didn't seem to work right.

If I had used the mirror suggestion, while the mesh was rotated, it either wouldn't have done anything, since the mirroring would have happened along a crooked center of the mesh, or distorted the mesh greatly, with the mirroring happeneing along the world center.

I don't mean to sound unappreciative, I actually always appreciate when people take time out of their day to help me out in anyway. And that convert to editable poly thing is an invaluable source of info I didn't know. I'll be remembering that for a long time :D
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Just out of interest when I import a mesh in to max from zbrush and convert to edit poly, then export back to zbrush, the point order changes. 'BUT' if I leave it as editable mesh and add an edit poly on the stack, then the point order does not change.
    perhaps this will work for mudbox too.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, nice idea, Ruz! I'll give that shot on a future project . Thanks.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    no worries. let me know if it works
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    you could resym your mesh...
    select faces an one side... and in the layer tab --> mirror X...

edit:
    oh i see you have tried it... hmm... strange...
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never ever use the rotate or translate tools in MB, so I have no idea how that could have happened, but that was the reason symmetry didn't seem to work right.

My guess is you accidentally invoked the rotate tool via hotkey. The default for it is "left mouse button + x", which is easy enough to accidentally press while sculpting. When activating the rotate tool via hotkey it will immediately begin adjusting your mesh without warning. If this happens while you are zoomed in close or not paying attention, you might not notice a small rotation of your model, but it will be enough to ruin its symmetry. Simply unmap the hotkey for the rotate tool and you shouldn't have anymore issues.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, yeah, that was it. I have my hand poised at CTRL + Z all the time, and sometimes I just get moving fast, and hit CTRL + X by accident. I can totally see me hitting x and left mouse. Thanks for that, Adam. I'll unmap that shortcut immediately.
  • oglu
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha oglu i tthink you beat me to the punch lol i just posted the same videos.
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    Some of those vector displacement examples in those videos are insane! Autodesk seems to be on fire as of late with some really great releases in their product line.
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMby1zgy4YY&feature=player_embedded#

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AVPgHOzJD4&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

not sure why the first vid isnt showing, anyways new features!

adamlewis wrote: »
    Quick question for the beta testers regarding the posing tools: I understand that they don't yet work in symmetry, and that this can be mostly solved by creating a layer and using the mirror function to transfer the pose across the desired axis, but one thing I'm still a little concerned about is posing along the axis of symmetry (i.e. scaling up a head). Are the posing tools precise enough to allow you to scale up exactly on the axis, so you don't break the line of symmetry?

Hope that question makes some sense.

hey adam! this ones for you man, they got the symmetry working upon creating joints. to asnwer your question no this doesnt bother the symmetry at all as far as im aware of.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Good to know Mudbox finally has a reconstruct Subdiv command :)

Now if only the file sizes would be brought down to be more in like with those from zb.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice to see update
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    trying the demo at the moment, its nice, still the same old issues of needing to use smaller and smaller brushes as you go up in mesh resolution but I guess thats good workflow anyway