Home Technical Talk

3d max retopologizing Shrink/relax problems

Hey all
I am trying to retopologizing some hard surfaces in max, when apply the turbosmooth after worth its “Shrink” or rather relax out the models shapes.
is there any method – script where I can move all the vertex in the exact opposite direction off of what turbosmooth do.
so the original vertex well stay in their original possession after Turbosmoothing is added.
I will be very grateful for any solution/ideas.

Replies

• Lortomon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This will not put the verts in the exact same place but try the push modifier. ak74u this gun tutorial helped me out a bunch for hard surface modeling, for making the high and low res mesh.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try using the MeshSmooth modifier and turn the smoothing parameters down to nothing.

If you need just sub-divisions you can do that in the edit poly modifier using Tessellate and it wont relax.
  • Harvid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a problem with push modifier as it only pushes in one direction,
    turbosmooth moves also vertex in concave direction.
  • Harvid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want smoothing on the new vertex (turbosmooth add) and keep vertex original possession of the original vertex.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you have your smoothing groups set up properly on your low poly, you can check "preserve smoothing groups" in the turbo smooth modifier. That will keep your hardedges.
  • Harvid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ts.jpg?t=1270675056
    thanks for all your suggestions. I try with an explanatory screendump
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah... seems like the nature of the beast with turbo smooth. Thats kind of the way it works. Your best bet in that case is to try and match it the best you can. If you have a low poly model, you can toggle it to nurms and adjust the control cage to match your shape. Sorry dude... but the low poly in that sense is a one way street.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More edges on the big curve should help minimize the shrinking.
  • Harvid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes I know that it the way turbosmooth works
    but I hoped, that there was someone who had made a script, ther was able to do it.
    without knowing anything about scripting, can not be so difficult to measure how much a vertex moves, and then move it in the opposite direction ?
    it would be a great tool. true ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    You could probably adjust them manually that way by turning on constraints, set to Normal, and moving the verts. They'd only move in or out along their normals. It's like Push, in tool form.

Is the end result you're looking for to make the verts of the subdivided surface lie on the surface of the mesh you're tracing?

If so, it's not exactly what you're looking for, but you could try the Max_Retopo script. It's different from the PB/Graphite retopo tools, because it projects the new vertex positions from all around instead of in screen space, so that, for example, if you had a cylinder and wanted to conform it to an arm shape, you could select the loops and have it move them to the surface, rather than having to spin around it vert by vert. So what this means for you is that you could have it snap the resulting TurboSmoothed mesh itself to the surface of the other mesh, and they'd line up.
  • Harvid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes max_retopo is a great script is the tool I'm using currently, there's just one problem it does not work on poly modifiers stack must bee collapst
    wonder why that there is a way to do what I want to automatically, it seems strait forward to do