Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pool Game: Last Call Sharks

Hey guys. Here's a little tidbit I've been working on, would love comments good or bad. I wont go into a huge description of the game here, that can be seen here:

http://www.lastcallsharks.blogspot.com

Heres a few screens of the environments as they stand, they definately still need a lot of work. The pool table is still a work in progress, (the sides actually haven't been touched yet) as well as ambient stuff, flatscreens, empty glasses, stuff like that. I really want to create a handpainted look for this one, like your looking at an oil painting, yet with the gloss and bumps of realism. I think that should produce an interesting effect.

All is built in max, and compiled in Unreal.

SportsbarWIP4.jpg

SportsbarWIP3.jpg

Replies

• kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c+c's? anyone?
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like where this is going, but the DOF seems rather heavy. Good move with the style too.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Some odd lighting seams on the side of the table is the first thing that jumps out.

For the type of lighting you're depicting, the room seems pretty evenly lit. I would try tightening down the cones of the cast lighting from those hanging lights and softening up the illumination on the walls and ceiling to depict more of a bounced light.

Up to you how much of the room's illumination you want to depict as coming through those windows on the wall. I can't quite tell if that's supposed to be a lounge or the Vegas strip on the other side.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. Yeah the sides of the table are not finished yet, no normals as of yet. I agree with the lighting being too evenly lit. Because the focus of the level is the pool table I need to darken up the rest of the lights. Thats also reason for the heavy DOF. One of the game play mechanics is how focused your character is. The ambient light and DOF will adjust based on that.

The background is a blured street. I've been debating keeping it or replacing with something else. But if its that ambiguous, I should probably change it.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    First off, you'd NEVER have tables set up like that in a pool hall. No room if you were shooting from one of the corner pockets, or like the one in the back in that first shot, you wouldn't be able to extend your cue at all shooting up against the wall.

Here's a panoramic shot from the pool hall that I play league at from our website:

houston8ballleague66je.jpg

houston8ballleague69.jpg

I'd space them off a bit more like that. Actually, you might take a look at the lighting in some of the shots on our photo page:
    http://www.houston8ballleague.com/pictures.html

The only place I've ever played pool where the lighting is that even is Vegas :P

Tables look ok, but you're missing the diamond markers, as well as any cubby hole or anything in the front (where you break) to place balls in. Hard to tell from the view, but are those supposed to be 8ft or 9ft tables? In that first shot they look a bit long, even for a 9footer. Also your lights are hanging way too low. They need to be at least another foot up. Don't forgot cue racks, chalk, triangle, etc.

Read your gameplan, sounds interesting. I'm assuming you guys will be doing either 8 ball or 9 ball? BCA rules or APA? Would be cool if you could play as either way. The sharking mode sounds like it could be interesting, but I'd be sure to concentrate more on english, cue ball control and things like that first and foremost.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, another pool player! Yes, they are 8' bar tables (measured and proportionate) I think you're right about pool halls not being set up like that, this level is more intended to be a sports bar, where their not too bright about setup... I'll double check those back tables, youre right it does look too close. The only table playable is the one in the foreground there, the rest are just props.

the sides.. well... yeah, I should get going on those:)

Gameplan for this location is 8ball APA rules. Although with the other locations, rules will differ based on what the locals would play. Sheik pool hall will play BCA, Biker bar will play Straight 8 (bar rules), etc...

Thanks for the crit, its nice to have more eyes on this thing, especially another pool player:)
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    kdm3d wrote: »
    Ah, another pool player! Yes, they are 8' bar tables (measured and proportionate) I think you're right about pool halls not being set up like that, this level is more intended to be a sports bar, where their not too bright about setup... I'll double check those back tables, youre right it does look too close. The only table playable is the one in the foreground there, the rest are just props.

Ah, Ok, that works then. Yeah I hate meeting up with friends at local pubs or something and they want to play on quarter tables that have like 2 feet apart from the table and other chairs or something.

It's off to a good start dude, I'll definitely be following this. Might be worth noting that theres a pool game on PSN called Hustle Kings that you might want to check out. I haven't played it, but might be worth looking at to see how they did certain things.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I checked that out, seems like your typical pool game. Some cool lighting effects though. I ready to see a pool game that does more than point and click.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Definitely lighten up the DOF, it makes the tables all look like miniatures.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a small update... a rendered logo for the game. Now onto the environment again! (tough doing all the artwork (or close to))

lcs_logo_600.jpg
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having a little trouble reading the 'sharks' at the bottom - just a bit too much distortion with the lightning, and not enough contrast against the pool balls in some places.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was wondering about that. The "A" is my biggest offender. I struggled with that for a while... suggestions?
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kdm3d wrote: »
    I was wondering about that. The "A" is my biggest offender. I struggled with that for a while... suggestions?

Really hard to say. White text up against the pool balls is going to be hard, because unless there's a very harsh outline around the text, the white shapes are going to intermittently read visually as white parts of pool balls - which is the problem right now.

The only thing I can recommend for a sure-fire fix is moving the text below the racked balls so it's not overlapping them.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know it doesnt sound as cool...but maybe try doing sharks in the red logo with the rest of the text.

Looking promising!
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    You could animate the lightning so that it flashes sharks at first then turns into a solid text afterwards. Perhaps put a glowing blue outline on it might work as well to give it more contrast.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its been a while, I've been busy with other things, but I put some more work in to this level, and will continue working on it for the next week or so. Any ways, heres the most recent update (small screen I know, but you get the idea:)

SportsbarWIP5.jpg
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Semi-Daily Update: Still a few assets left to do, liquor bottles, juke box, speakers, used glasses / bottles, etc, neon signs, dart boards. But its coming along none the less...

SportsbarWIP8.jpg

SportsbarWIP9.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Nice, I can't wait to see the final results.