Home General Discussion

You got to see this... Puppet Warp Photoshop...

yiannisk
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
yiannisk polycounter lvl 14
I didn't see it around, sorry if i double post.. but this is so impressive!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nAklIkMy4g[/ame]

this is simply qrazyyyyyyyyyy :)

enjoy!

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Looks like a easier form of liquify for fixing proportions and stuff.
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is already an existing option in AE called Puppet Pins or something, sweet for quick fixes in animations. :)
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    photoshop has a marketing team?!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see bloat... thanks for the added load time, hopefully I can get a SSD before this ships.
    I don't see anything I couldn't do in half a dozen other apps.
    It's cute really that they think 3D acceleration is new and innovative...
    Or maybe I'll just jump ship to painter? They can add "advanced things" like this but they can't upgrade their brush system or even provide a way to easily organize them? Shameful...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    to be fair there was that cool looking brush physics demo thing they showed a while back, but who knows if thats an upcoming feature or just a test
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ofc they have marketing team, doesn't every large company and product have one?

If bloated is a factor.. PS7 or for some CS2 should be our last upgrade :)

but this is an awesome feature which i already have thought quite a few uses for texturing, creating patterns, concept pose tweaks.. not to mention 2D animation previews, story boarding, etc etc.

ofc you might not be doing any of these things and you might think this is useless to you.. and in this case i can't say anything but "fair enough"

Painter although my favorite by far for painterly textures, concepts and fast creative exploration.. simply is not photoshop. Otherwise everyone would be using it for that. It does have many of the same tools.. but it simply is not it.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Idk... pretty soon there's going to be so many gimmicky photoshop filters and tools we're going to start losing updates on things that actually matter. I think all of this stuff is "cool" and does have small application in certain situations but it's already doable in 3-4 other ways in tools we already have. Photoshop has more than enough features... lets improve other things before adding all of these very specialized addons.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Looks like an iPhone game to me.

I dont have a problem with the new UI except that its so unbelievably slow.
    CS2 is the biz, I couldnt loose my healing brushes :)
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Wow i always wanted to make my sketches do the YMCA...

But really i see this mostly being used to "correct the pose" of celebrity photos...
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Looks pretty awesome for warping textures round those oddly shaped uv's you sometimes get! Although it seems diffiicult to isolate reasons past basic compatibility and functionality why working in one app is better than two or more. Nevertheless, I'm slowly warming to this idea.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    when will they fix tilt sensitivity? its been broken for years.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    so they just added the puppettool from AE to PS?
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno guys, I'm pretty happy that they're actually implementing features which have practical uses. Maybe it's not obviously focused towards game artists but the distortion fixing at the end of that video was pretty great and being able to easily wrap around designs with control over the depth sounds handy to me.

Draw complex design, use puppet tool, now you have a perfect design following the trim on your characters pants. Seems practical to me.

Yeah the doll example was stupid but that doesn't mean the tool sucks. All it means is that their marketing sucks and we already knew that.

Between this and all the content-aware tools CS5 is looking badass.
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think i read in some other forum if that puppet was the only thing it could do or if you could use other characters too :) looking at the tree....
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I think this looks pretty cool. But I have no idea why they didn't implement control over how many handels you have when going into the standard transform > warp mode years ago.

I can def. see this being usful for photo projecting in apps where you switch to photoshop like Mudbox photo projecting workflow.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    This will probably work as well as Content Aware Scaling did....

Not to Hi Junk this thread or anything but did you also see Content Aware Fill? Yet another worthless tool!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH0aEp1oDOI&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Totally worthless yeah.. i agree.. :)
    who came up with all that junk :)
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    As an animator, the After Effects version is very useful. I guess it's okay in Photoshop.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd almost pay for a stripped down version that comes with the option to download plug-ins as I need them. Or maybe just a plug-in manager that lets me disable some of this stuff.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    another amazing but ultimately useless feature.

they have IK bones in flash since CS4 that wowed everyone - times used by creative agencies or animators: 0
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    oh hey someone found a use for one of those wooden puppets!
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    hawken wrote: »
    another amazing but ultimately useless feature.

they have IK bones in flash since CS4 that wowed everyone - times used by creative agencies or animators: 0

The IK bones stuff in flash is total garbage. Hopefully this works better. Being able to pin parts of the image seems useful.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawken: And you can't see how this would be a lot more useful in image manipulation than in animation/interactive stuff?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    DarthNater wrote: »
    Not to Hi Junk this thread or anything but did you also see Content Aware Fill? Yet another worthless tool!

They should have called it automask, then added the result to a new layer as an editable mask. Yes it saves time but is really a duplicate function.

What would you say are the most important features of Photoshop?

For me it's these;
    no1. - brush presets - how effective they are with a tablet pen
    no2. - masking - controlling edge sharpness/softness to blend images
    no3. - selections - control over selecting and keeping edges clean
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm doing UI right now and I could see the pose tool being really helpful.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Photoshop, obviously, is target PRIMARILY at game artists and painters. Consequently this feature is useless, fuck adobe.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here to hoping that someone decides its tile to write a good free alternative with a sane UI :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    Photoshop, obviously, is target PRIMARILY at game artists and painters. Consequently this feature is useless, fuck adobe.

Is that sarcasm? I'm pretty sure it's a photo-editing program that also happens to be used by game artist and painters.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been giving painter a good long hard look over the past few days and really thinking about switching over...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    really vig, how long does it take to get into? I fired up the demo and pretty much hated it, or at least I couldnt get any of the painty results you see on conceptart.org
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd give painter a try but 7 years ago it was a buggy resource hog - I'd hate to imagine years of bloat piled on that.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that sarcasm? I'm pretty sure it's a photo-editing program that also happens to be used by game artist and painters.

That's nonsense. If it were a photo editing program that also happens to get used by artists a feature like this would make perfect sense, and we all know this feature is ridiculous.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so I forgot about this until someone mentioned using it today at a team meeting - puppet warp is freaking amazing! I'm currently texturing characters with bandoleers, ropes, braided leather and belts strapped all over them in jaunty pirate angles. This looks like it will be a big time saver for me.

I was using the image along spline feature in 3D coat but this is so much better - if it was a plug in I'd pay $100 for it.

edit: yes I know I'm bumping an old thread, it's just funny how everyone was pooping on the idea
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    I recently started using it as well.... freaking amazing tool.
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    I've seen the Puppet Warp option there in the menu pretty much every time I've used PS but I've never actually tried it. Guess tonight's as good a time as any to give it a go!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    It works very well, especially with long rectangular or cylindrical shapes!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funny thing is, last night I was thinking to myself all smugly: "yep, I've pretty much mastered Photoshop"
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To clarify: way back when 2 years of ago OF COURSE I WAS BEING SARCASTIC
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To clarify: way back when 2 years of ago OF COURSE I WAS BEING SARCASTIC

I was stuck doing UI art at the time, I was in a dark place!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Mother of God!

Seriously, Photoshop needs it's own Wiki, I didn't even know it had this until Justine bumped the thread.

Also, Justin, if I may ask, what where you talking about earlier in terms of ropes and such for 3DC vs. PS?

Do you mean in PS you can use Tile around a mesh such as a rope on a 3D character, or do you mean post-process?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In 3D coat you can have an image tile along a spline - so I'd make a tiling rope image and draw the spline out along the model, it's a bit janky and has some artifacts that appear over sharp bends.

In Photoshop I'd just draw out a long rope and then use Puppet Warp to bend it into place. Of coarse it doesn't work that great across UV seams but I'm going to have a go at puppet warp combined with 3d coat's projection paint in photoshop option.

I'm working on 600 - 1,000 triangle characters, it may work a little better on higher poly models. I do plan on doing a 3D-Coat video in the future and since I don't have CS5 at home I'll demonstrate using the image spline tool for features like ropes, betls, etc...
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    I use it for weathering all the time. Wrapping dirt around corners, tweaking drips to match quirky UVs, etc.

Before I used to select, rotate, and then try to blend the seam. Saves me a ton of time.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    I have been using this puppet tool in cs5 for a wile now, its real nice to quickly warp stuff or sketch something up and repose it as a base for a paintover.
    I've been giving painter a good long hard look over the past few days and really thinking about switching over...
    Painter is great if you have a strong traditional background, its much closer to home, but there are tons of things that are much easier to do in Photoshop then in painter. So if I was you i'd use painter as a complementary package to use in conjunction with Photoshop, but not as a replacement. Experiment with it, find its strong and weak points and adjust your workflow accordingly.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I use this all the time, it's a great time saver, and it's true that many people don't know of it's existence for some weird reason.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    likewise, I'm totally eating my words about this one. its really handy for making details on tiling texture line up.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was about to make a snarky comment about it working great when not used as advertised remembering that they only talked about the puppet and photo manipulation (beginning and end), but I re-watched the video and saw the rope portion and thought "hey that IS kind of useful"... I blame the guy that edited the video for droning on about the puppet for 5min... =P

I still lean toward making a high poly object and baking it down, but this could come in handy for doing certain things. I could see myself using it to knock in hanging wires, pushing around wire bundles and running cords along walls. I wonder if it works with nDo2 at all... humm need to play with it.

I still cry foul over their treatment of brushes, their lack of keyboard shortcut modernization for left handed artists and a bunch of other crap that they have let rot for over a decade that would improve my daily experience with Photoshop 10x... but they spend their time working on crazy new things, that are useful sure... but what about the rest of the crap that they have been ignoring?

I didn't jump ship to painter, but I did fall in love with Art Rage. I still use photoshop but for just drawing and painting I do love me some Art Rage.