Home Technical Talk

zbrush Brush question

Binxx
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Binxx polycounter lvl 9
strobingproblems.jpg
A quick question I have is, how come many times when I am sculpting my brush seems to stop working consistently.
It feels as if its similar to Photoshops brush spacing.
Notice how one line is smooth all the way through, and not dotted, while the other one seems inconsistent?
Also note that both brushes were used with the same settings.
and I'm using a Wacom if that means anything.

Replies

• East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    This is without LazyMouse?

Generally the angle at which the camera is in relation to the surface matters, as well as the speed at which you do your strokes. So if the camera is perfectly perpendicular to the surface you're more likely to get better results, than if at a 45 degree angle. This is essentially just because the angle to the camera makes the stroke faster. Unsure if all this makes as much sense outside my head as it does inside, though :P

Is that screenshot of the actual problem, or a reproduction of the problem?

EDIT: Also, ZBrush seems to default the stroke type to Dots, setting it to Freehand might help, though not that I've ever noticed any difference between the two since it's like it defaults to Freehand anyway, but displays the Dots thumbnail.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Is this in 3.5r3 ? I have found that its increasingly difficult to draw smoother strokes in r3, most likely due to some brush parameters that have been added. East is very much on the money with the suggestion of using less speed and ensuring that your surface is appropriately aligned with your view.
    You can always try increasing your stroke mouse average too. (stroke menu)
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    yeah, if your machine is decent speed and not having trouble keeping up you could just bump up that average, pixologic site suggests adjusting that for a lot of different issues. something to try other then of course using freehand instead of dots and moving your mouse more slowly.

is it while you are using the same brush or when you go between different brushes?
  • Binxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Binxx polycounter lvl 9
    Hmm, I tend to use quick strokes, and i think that is what is causing the problem. I did try using freehand and yea it still looks the same, I tried it finally with lazy mouse and it works a lot better for the longer strokes.

Thanks again
  • WCdesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, I got the same problem, when i`m still in high rezz above 4mil polys(lower or even higher), the strokes acts the same way, the fact didn`t change even then I trying swap between freehand or dots there are still huge spacing and I didnt pusting stroke to go fast, average speed. I saw video tutorials when guys making strokes really fast and brush acts like straight line (real-time capture). I tried everythink and none helps for now. Any idea?

I use wacom intous4 tablet , I7 920 so i dont think my pc should handle this without probs