Home Technical Talk

UV Layout Software - Maya and Mac

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
samhakem polycounter lvl 14
Hey all...I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on UV layout software for Maya/Mac...

Ive looked at HeadUs UV Layout and while its quite good, workflow makes sense and its featured I would like to see other options but cant find them...

Any suggestions? Or is that it...

Cheers

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Game dev is not kinda that home or really big on a mac so tools are more spare to choose from or simply not existent until you start a virtual machine with windows.
    Also UVlayout from headus is available for Linux - just not for the mac.

The first tool that comes to mind is Blender with its ABF and LSCM algorithms its not a UV specific tool but there are many people that speak high of it.

Silo and modo also have some decent UV tools in them and they work alos on the mac, but again its not so specialized as uvLayout
    All other specific UV layout and unwrapping tools I know are very windows specific because thats what most game artists and developers are home with.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    what features are you missing in headus uvlayout? It has a lot of features which are not readily apparent. perhaps i can help
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Personally I really like Maya's built in uv tools, and they work really well for hard surface stuff. I'm not sure what you are looking for or where you are in your career, but if you are just starting out I would recommend not becoming reliant on external tools like that because you may not get them at a studio.

For character stuff an external tool might be useful for a pelting type workflow. Unfold3d is a pretty good tool, but it is stupidly expensive, like 4-500 bucks, which is ridiculous for a program that only does uvs.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I it usual to get turned down if your bringing your own legit licenses with you? My last place had no problem with it. I mean uvlayout runs off a dongle, you cant really get more legit :)