Home General Discussion

The Art institute of Los Angeles

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Joopson quad damage
I just got in, starting in July, and I am very very excited.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody went there for college, and if it is as good as it seems looking in.
It seems like it will be good, if not just for the change in scenery from the sometimes dreary New-England lifestyle.
I am really looking forward to it, regardless.

thanks

Replies

• JValencia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JValencia polycounter lvl 10
    it's great. we have GameWizards

check it out
    www.game-wizards.com

i doubt that could be topped school-wise in California
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Dont mean to pop your AI party bubble but they let anyone in willing to pay 80+ grand for the whole shibang.

Just remember use your classes as a jumping off point for learning. Most of important things beyond fundamentals will be learned in your own personal projects/online. Its a good thing your are going to AI LA though, LA and SD are the only AI's that are even marginally worth it. LA has that game wizards thing which is pretty sweet and SD has the Sony Mentorship thing where you work with artists from SOE on a project, both really cool things to offer that you would be hard pressed to find something even slightly comparable elsewhere.

One good thing to keep in the back of your mind in that if your not the top 3 or 4 people in your class then you prob will be working at McDonalds while you pay off your 80+k loans back. Dont judge yourself based off classmates work. More likely then not 90% of them are people who think it would be so cool to make games but come time to doing the work they would rather just play video games all day instead of learning and becoming a more skilled artist.

Another good tip would be to seek out the most talented people and become there friends. Always smart to have talented and driven friends to help you push yourself.

Good luck!
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Yup keep yourself grounded, and your learning experience may vary, along with any other 3D school
  • Talbot
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    Dont mean to pop your AI party bubble but they let anyone in willing to pay 80+ grand for the whole shibang.

Just remember use your classes as a jumping off point for learning. Most of important things beyond fundamentals will be learned in your own personal projects/online. Its a good thing your are going to AI LA though, LA and SD are the only AI's that are even marginally worth it. LA has that game wizards thing which is pretty sweet and SD has the Sony Mentorship thing where you work with artists from SOE on a project, both really cool things to offer that you would be hard pressed to find something even slightly comparable elsewhere.

One good thing to keep in the back of your mind in that if your not the top 3 or 4 people in your class then you prob will be working at McDonalds while you pay off your 80+k loans back. Dont judge yourself based off classmates work. More likely then not 90% of them are people who think it would be so cool to make games but come time to doing the work they would rather just play video games all day instead of learning and becoming a more skilled artist.

Another good tip would be to seek out the most talented people and become there friends. Always smart to have talented and driven friends to help you push yourself.

Good luck!

Everything he said.

I go to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, and just had to give a presentation to students looking to enroll. Those were some of my major points.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12

Good luck!

Yeah, I'm quoting Autocon too, because as an alumni of AIH, this is all true. Especially the part about not judging yourself based on classmates and to befriend fellow artists. While I was at AI there was a group of us that banded together so to speak and knew that while we were getting our feet wet with the school work, we really needed to look elsewhere, whether it was online tutorials or whatever to really learn all we could.
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13

Good luck!

Wow, so this really does happen a lot elsewhere huh. Can't say i know much beyond my puny island, but as it is in here is already stiff competition despite the same 90% just gaming or slacking off. A lotta people join cause they think its easy and slack.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    crasong wrote: »
    Wow, so this really does happen a lot elsewhere huh. Can't say i know much beyond my puny island, but as it is in here is already stiff competition despite the same 90% just gaming or slacking off. A lotta people join cause they think its easy and slack.

Same deal here.

edit: but no 80k loans, it's actually really cheap to study here.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Oh, thanks for all the feedback. I pretty much figured a lot of this would be the case.

Yeah, I am pretty much going there so I can be surrounded by the industry, because Massachusetts isn't exactly the gaming hub of the western world, haha. That having been said, the experience of being around like-minded people seems like it will really be the most beneficial thing, along with the fact that I will need to finish my 3D work to get grades and such; practice practice practice, and I won't have a choice.

So, yeah, I can't wait.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Joopson wrote: »
    Oh, thanks for all the feedback. I pretty much figured a lot of this would be the case.

Yeah, I am pretty much going there so I can be surrounded by the industry, because Massachusetts isn't exactly the gaming hub of the western world, haha. That having been said, the experience of being around like-minded people seems like it will really be the most beneficial thing, along with the fact that I will need to finish my 3D work to get grades and such; practice practice practice, and I won't have a choice.

So, yeah, I can't wait.

There's a decent amount of studios here, and I've heard the IGDA chapter here is pretty active.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    There's a decent amount of studios here, and I've heard the IGDA chapter here is pretty active.

Really? Hmm, I had no idea. I knew there was an EA in Boston, but I thought it was fairly limited to that.
    At any rate, I want to move somewhere else, haha.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Irrational Games is in Quincy too ;]
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Harmonix, Irrational, 38, Tencent, Doubletap and a bunch more
  • whats_true
    Options