Home General Discussion

god of war III newness

Replies

• Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Seems to be a problematic trend in recent games. Most of the time the voice acting is the Achilles' heel. Luckily a lot of studios have taken great pride in making sure it doesn't sound like crap. It really does hurt the games that only have singleplayer, despite how insignificant they think it may seem.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    How does deferred lighting affect memory usage and overall performance when streaming/dumping data? To me that's part of the big win when it comes to keeping the frame rate fluid with so many light sources and fast pace of the game. Dante's inferno also made due with deferred lighting and it so it was kind of funny playing GoW3 after seeing that game with the same lighting model released first.

While I don't really like that the game has so much uniformity with its materials and specular, the game play and action sequences more than make up for it.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    I was loving this game until my PS3 died! 40mins into game play I was up to my eyes in surround sound knife swinging gore then *beep**beep**beep* and a red flashy light on the console! It continues to make a mocking-beeping tone every time I try and turn it on :<

Up to that point it was quality, the epic scale and movement in the environment is what sells this to me. It keeps mixing up the direction of play revealing massive people smashing stuff to bits! Hope Sony send my replacement soon. Got GOW3 saves backed up by heavy rain was not so lucky
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This game is truley pure awesome.

Im on the final boss at titan difficulty, damn this game is hard, i was stuck on that damn fire cerberus for so long i thought i was never gonna get past it.

definately gonna have a go at chaos difficulty, but im probably just gonna cry myselfe to sleep when i go at it
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Spitfire wrote: »
    This game is truley pure awesome.

Im on the final boss at titan difficulty, damn this game is hard, i was stuck on that damn fire cerberus for so long i thought i was never gonna get past it.

definately gonna have a go at chaos difficulty, but im probably just gonna cry myselfe to sleep when i go at it

I'm begging to wonder if video games is also a channel for self torture...
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Anybody get the Platinum Trophy?
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    just finished this before the weekend and was astonished all the way through, although it felt like they stretched out the end too long and I would have loved to see a longer game but nonetheless a fantastic game.

The making of videos are unbelievable and required viewing for any artist out there I would say. I wasnt expecting there to be so many and pretty much one for each discipline and more, very informative. The making of poseidon was crazy, would love to know how many polys everything ended up, even Kratos' chaos blades were crazy high with individual chain links modelled!!!!!
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    its on the standard game, just finish the game to get all the videos, Theres a general making of video you can watch straight away. its got some spoilers in it though so watch at your own risk, Im still to watch that one,
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    ending was very facepalm american-y (though what you expect)
    Bananas game though, great stuff. Can't believe all the moaning about uhhhh all the assets have the same shader
    Never stopped me having fun and noticing it was a beautiful game. Such a non-issue, and tbh I didn't notice it. Materials read correspondingly.

edit:
    skydome waviness was a little distracting though, very uniform movement.

further edit
    their ray marching stuff was lovely
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess that they're using an Alpha channel for their spec, so there's not really any colour information in there.

It's generally the way spec is handled in film, but is only really effective if there's an image based lighting engine (like Marmoset).

Overall the game seems fun ATM.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess that they're using an Alpha channel for their spec, so there's not really any colour information in there.

It's generally the way spec is handled in film, but is only really effective if there's an image based lighting engine (like Marmoset).

Overall the game seems fun ATM.

A single alpha channel for specular is typically used for memory savings, otherwise a properly done color specular will be effective in any engine that has specular highlights that allow full color specular maps.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn that was awesome. I was trying to avoid checking it out until I picked it up, but I couldn't resist any longer. I had some stuff come up and I had to put off buying it for another week...

It looks more fun than it does pretty, which is how I would prefer games be played.

I'm also disappointed at the same time, I thought we got away from super black shadows on surfaces that scatter or in diffused lighting situations? Didn't Doom3 get blasted enough that everyone knows those pitfalls? maybe they don't care and have bigger fish to fry but damn there are enough realtime tricks floating around to solve those problems...
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    if you're not gonna play it, check these out. guy does full run in HD on chaos mode, no upgrades. even if you are going to play it, i suggest watching this first video just to see how fucking incredible it is. wait, cinematic is over? wait, i'm playing right now?

http://www.youtube.com/user/shinobier?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/5/39IUe1NT6Lg
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    i just beat it in one sitting. i am entirely flabbergasted by how terrible it was. graphics and opening sequence are great, but...the rest has a complete lack of motivation. the story is so unclear and inconsistent, especially character motivations. the absolute worst was the ending. i don't want to spoil, so i won't, but when athena was like "[x]. but wait, unless..." and then just says "[x]" again. (where [x] = ridiculous plot twist)