Home General Discussion

Blizzard Internships 2010

Replies

• Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    The negativity towards the Blizzard internship sounds a lot like someone getting turned down by the hot blond at the bar and calling her fat to make themselves feel better.

Assuming that you are somehow being brain washed and all of your personal art will now look like WoW orcs is silly. There is so much to learn from interning at a large company, and art style is very near the bottom of that list.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I guess everyone forgot you can still go home and create your own art after work is done :p
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Also it's not like you have to dedicate yourself to Blizzard's hand painted style to get a job there. Peris got hired there a few months ago and his Unearthly '08 entry was nowhere near Blizzard's hand painted style. I agree that you shouldn't dedicate yourself to one art style, but I think you're taking this Blizzard art style dedication thing a bit far.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    I think you're taking this Blizzard art style dedication thing a bit far.

Reread my post and yeah, comes off a bit harsh. Blizzard treats their fans very well and their fans likewise have a great devotion, it's mostly win, win. But i'll stand by my point that some take this devotion too far, potentially at the expense of their future. The grass is always greener...
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blizzard is a great company, but of course applying for internships there would be very competitive.

Does anyone know of any other studios offering internships or anything similar at all?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most studios only offer internships to local applicants, that's why Blizzard's internships are particularly beneficial.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really? I hope thats not true... :P
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Pseudo wrote: »
    The negativity towards the Blizzard internship sounds a lot like someone getting turned down by the hot blond at the bar and calling her fat to make themselves feel better.

Assuming that you are somehow being brain washed and all of your personal art will now look like WoW orcs is silly. There is so much to learn from interning at a large company, and art style is very near the bottom of that list.

^Well said!

As many have said before; Your skills get you the interview, your personality and interpersonal skills get you the job. Once you have a job you will learn even more skills that are not related to being better at your craft, but well help you work better.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm expecting a call tomorrow for a phone interview for one of the internships. Don't wanna say too much or I may jynx myself.

Here's crossing my fingers!!!!!
  • DrumBum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrumBum polycounter lvl 7
    thats awesome! I applied for the sound design internship, i still would really want to work there however I have been hired in the industry for another internship over the summer so that kind of conflicts haha but i would still love to see what could happen!
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Haiasi wrote: »
    I'm expecting a call tomorrow for a phone interview for one of the internships. Don't wanna say too much or I may jynx myself.

Hey good luck man! Hope you get it, judging by your work it looks like you'd fit right in and really be able to expand on your skills!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    F'n A Haiasi, kick some arse for us!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17

That's exciting! I hope the best for you :)
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good luck Haiasi!
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13
    Lets go Haiasi lets go!
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah man good luck
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    Hey that's great news Haiasi, good luck!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :)

The phone interview time was adjusted for an actual scheduled time, thankfully. Yesterday I was informed it would be any time today but they changed it to a specific time next week.

I'll save the energy of posting every tiny detail and just say if I did or did not get it within the next several weeks.

A couple people emailed me telling me they're scheduled for interviews too, so good luck to you guys!!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Good luck Haiasi :) *thumbs up*
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Best of luck to you!
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you don't get a place Isaiah I will never buy a Blizzard game again (except SC2, all future WoW expansions, and Diablo 3).

I'd hire you just off that weapon set you did.

Hope it goes well!
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    Good luck Haiasi!

I'm curious, seeing as there is apparently absolutely no way to get an internship at Blizzard, do they hire juniors from time to time?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Dean: What do you mean there is no way to get an internship at Blizzard? Because you're not a student? It's too late to apply?

If you're talking about level of skill required, it is generally acknowledged that an intern would be at a lower skill level than a junior or associate artist.

To answer your question, yes, they do open associate positions from time to time. Their bar is incredibly high, regardless. Even their associate positions require experience and a completely bad ass portfolio.
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9

Dean: What do you mean there is no way to get an internship at Blizzard? Because you're not a student? It's too late to apply?

If you're talking about level of skill required, it is generally acknowledged that an intern would be at a lower skill level than a junior or associate artist.

To answer your question, yes, they do open associate positions from time to time. Their bar is incredibly high, regardless. Even their associate positions require experience and a completely bad ass portfolio.

Fail! Sorry, yeah, because I'm not enrolled in an education. AFAIK you can only get an internship if you're A): A student and B): US based, right? Will keep an eye out for associate positions then, thanks:)
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it gives you hope Dean, I have no shipped titles on my resume, but was given an art test by Blizzard recently. Unfortunately I haven't heard back, but it does go to show you that they will look at juniors if your portfolio interests them.
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Haiasi: Good luck man! I hope everything goes well. Are you going to be at Evolve to see Fausto's key note?

One question if anyone knows. If they passed on the application, are we going to get some email to confirm that we didn't make it? If we do get a letter are we going to be critiqued?
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    mathes wrote: »
    If it gives you hope Dean, I have no shipped titles on my resume, but was given an art test by Blizzard recently. Unfortunately I haven't heard back, but it does go to show you that they will look at juniors if your portfolio interests them.

It does, thank you for sharing mathes! Are you allowed to disclose details about the test? (Subject, limitations, requirements etc)
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I can't Dean, the test came a mini-NDA on the bottom, nothing signed, but enough to keep my mouth shut. :)
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    mathes wrote: »
    No, I can't Dean, the test came a mini-NDA on the bottom, nothing signed, but enough to keep my mouth shut. :)

Shame, oh well.

Interesting read:
    http://cgquest.com/2007/08/06/studio-guidelines/how-to-get-a-job-at-blizzard-entertainment/
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean wrote: »

Sounds like 99% of all companies out there at least from a game artist perspective. From talking witha few folks from blizzard they really want to see a kickass portfolio with several pieces in their style.

Blizzard tries to reach a wide range of people and therefore needs you to be extremely technically proficient with your polys and textures. Generally speaking in terms of environments and props if it doesn't effect the silhouette it doesn't belong. Also if you can't use the same texture on 10 different objects then it better be damn unique.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius wrote: »
    Hey Haiasi: Good luck man! I hope everything goes well. Are you going to be at Evolve to see Fausto's key note?

One question if anyone knows. If they passed on the application, are we going to get some email to confirm that we didn't make it? If we do get a letter are we going to be critiqued?

I will not be attending the Evolve conference. It's on the other side of the country and I'm a student. I hope they don't really think students on a realistic student budget are going to be able to afford to pay for round trip flight, stay, food, and tickets all by themselves. Especially for such a young conference.

GDC is another story. I was willing to shell out the money for that, albeit it was only a 10 hour drive (one way) for us.

I have no idea on what they would do if they passed on someone's application. I highly doubt they're going to write a critique letter on what you can improve for every applicant, I'm sure there were thousands!
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    I will not be attending the Evolve conference. It's on the other side of the country and I'm a student. I hope they don't really think students on a realistic student budget are going to be able to afford to pay for round trip flight, stay, food, and tickets all by themselves. Especially for such a young conference.

GDC is another story. I was willing to shell out the money for that, albeit it was only a 10 hour drive (one way) for us.

I have no idea on what they would do if they passed on someone's application. I highly doubt they're going to write a critique letter on what you can improve for every applicant, I'm sure there were thousands!

It is a new convention but it looks like it has alot of potential. I'll let you know how it goes.

As far as the internship goes, I'm sure alot of people applied so I guess they won't be able to explain why the rejection for anyone. Anyway Good luck on you're interview, you'll do good!
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It really is too bad most these awesome internships are for students only >.>
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just an update, I didn't get it. Had my phone interview a couple weeks back for the Diablo 3 Environment Artist internship, felt it all went well. No response as to what they would have liked done differently.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Did they at least give some feedback?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man that sucks, sorry to hear that.

I can't even imagine what kind of ninja art skills the successful applicant has although I'm sure it was nothing to do with your ability. My guess would be they just found someone more suited to that kinda work, but I have no clue how these things are decided so who knows.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Aww that's disappointing. Your portfolio is pretty good. What did you apply for? Concept Artist or Env Artist? Your concepts are much stronger in my opinion but your environment was still pretty good.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I applied for 2 environment artist positions and the 1 concept art position. They interviewed me for the D3 env position.

I know the guy that is in the process of getting into the internship, he is pretty badass. We've been talking to each other through the whole process for like the past 4 weeks and he got it.

After he "officially" gets it I'll post his link up.
  • Saiainoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiainoshi polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry to hear that you didn't get the internship Haisi, but don't fret! Some positions are VERY specific and your portfolio may have not been tailored to it. Could I take a looksie at your folio by chance? The way our team(Wow Props) do the intern process is: folio's get filtered through the art director and lead, they choose the top few they like, then our lead will share with our team and we will give them our feedback. Generally they already have someone in mind after weeding out the first phase, they just look for reassurance from the team. If they can't decide between two or three people, that's when the interview process comes in. Here at blizzard we care more about if the person is fit for the team, rather than having a BADASS folio. It really is like one big family here, and finding the right attitude/personality type is a huge factor. It's just whether or not they show great potential :) I was a lucky one and got hired as an associate artist a few years back when they had positions open. Keep your eyes out for entry level positions on the next-gen mmo within the next couple years.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand companies really look for people to fit their studio culture. You're going to be working with these people for most the day so it makes complete sense that you want them to mesh well.

You can see a link to my folio in my signature, I'll also send you a PM with the link.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to hear that you didn't get it Haiasi, I have to admit I'm very surprised though, your art is amazing.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Total bummer Haiasi... I thought you had a pretty good chance. Just keep working and getting better, by graduation you should have a nice portfolio.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's painful man, you were so close!

Buck up though, you should be proud how far you made it for possibly the most coveted art positions for guys right out of school. You're young and have your whole life to keep pushin' wherever you want to, just a minor setback.
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    Man that sucks, sorry to hear that.

I can't even imagine what kind of ninja art skills the successful applicant has although I'm sure it was nothing to do with your ability. My guess would be they just found someone more suited to that kinda work, but I have no clue how these things are decided so who knows.

This basically, I can't imagine it was due to a higher requirement of quality, must have been something like a personal preference for a different guy that 'fit' more or something.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In retrospect, I think there was one error along the way that cost me the internship. In our phone interview I mentioned I was working for Liquid and already have a AAA title under my belt. It is my belief that they were more willing to give it to someone not in my position. The interview went really well and they really liked my work.

I believe they went with the other guy because he hadn't had a job yet and still had another year and a half of school left, so they probably felt he would benefit from the internship more than I would. His work is pretty badass too.

That being said, he gave me his permission to link his work:
    (official portfolio) http://tysonmurphyportfolio.blogspot.com/
    (tons of sketches) http://gardenturtle.blogspot.com/
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to hear that Haiasi. But the mistake didn't cost you anything, it just wasn't yours. See...each of us has a time and a place, it has nothing to with how much we try, because you can give it your best and do everything YOU can but you will realize you didn't get it. God has a plan for everyone.

I waited for a whole year with no steady gig, and I was so pissed I missed out on Blizzard's internship during the time I was in school. But look at me now, God has given me a chance with Vigil.

Just be patient, be honest in your effort and work hard. You will get what actually fits you :)
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mazvix makes a pretty good point, but just keep positive and keep working. The great thing is you know the guy who got the position, and not only that you know you were good enough to almost get it. Just keep building your portfolio and try to get better. Also keep in contact with that guy if you can and see if he can share any secrets with you ;)

You did nothing wrong being honest and yourself in the interview. If they passed on you, then they were not a good fit for you either. At least not at this time. Company fit is very important, so maybe you're just better suited for a different position/team or studio.

All that said, the guys portfolio is pretty awesome, you can tell he works hard and is oozing with talent if he still has a year and a half to go. At least you know you didn't get beat by some guy with a worse folio. It likely just came down to a gut feeling the team had or he might've known someone who works there.

I'm just waiting to find my fit too :)