Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Insectoid Concept Painting

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
Hey everyone,

I posted this in the WAYWO thread, but I just got my video all prepped so I figured I've post an actual thread of it.

The sketch was done at the sketch jam at GDC with some Polycounter buddies then I went home, scanned it in, and painted it in about 5h40m.

I thought it took me around 9 hours but after calculating the recording it took considerably less time than I thought... probably because I took several breaks.

Make sure you watch the video in HD and full screen, the video quality supports it. Link to the recording:

shermanIsaiah_insect05.jpg

shermanIsaiah_insect04.jpg

bugSketch.jpg

Replies

• ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pretty badass my friend!
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    wow... speechless
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 14
    Good job!
    he reminds me a mature version of Manny and the "The Chinese Cabinet of Metamorphosis" :D
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    I love it! Speed paintings are always a blast to watch, especially when you really dig what's being painted :)

If you don't mind me asking a bit about your process, do you give each body part it's own layer or do you just go full force ahead with very few layers? I didn't notice you creating new layers (I don't know if it was the video or not) but I myself am trying to get better painting my scans and have some trouble when I work in so many layers.

I gave your 'folio a visit as well - you've got some very nice stuff!

Great video, thanks for the upload.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone :)

doeseph: I used to work with a ton of layers back in the day when I was uncomfortable with painting. The more your practice, the less you rely on layers. For about 80% of this project I was using 2 layers: the lines layer set to multiply and a layer underneath for coloring.

No I did not create an individual layer for all the separate pieces, I just jumped in and started painting on 1 layer.

I didn't increase the amount of layers until I started painting in his other scythe arm, so it went up to 3. I then created another layer on top of the new arm to continue painting, so it went up to 4.

It pretty much stayed at 4 layers. I will not say that layers are good or bad, only that you should find a work flow that best suits you. Hope that helps :)!
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Nice one! what a great extra to throw in your portfolio! You painting skills are top-notch Isaiah. I would love to see more of these in the future!:thumbup:
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    If you don't mind me asking... how did you go about rendering that old temple scene in Maya?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mike :)

Progg: I didn't use any fancy rendering. I pretty much set up some point lights (same as omni in max) and clicked the render button.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    but you did render just in Maya... no engine? coolio :)
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that was back before I knew about bringing things into an engine. I know better now.
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 14
    Very nice design, I somehow see this as a kickass intergalactic bounty hunter :D

Glanced through your portfolio, and i gotta say i really like your concepts. Any insight as to improving or practicing concepting? If you don't my asking, because I've been getting comfortable with things like anatomy, but the second i try designing a character it's just too generic and in a bad way.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing that can help make your concept more interesting is punching out like 30 silhouettes and tiny 3 inch sketches. The more you do, the more you can flush out the crap in your head.

Some of my ideas come from flipping my paper upside down, even, and seeing where my thumbnails take me that way.

Try to work abstractly at first, then narrow in your design. Thinking abstractly at first will help you churn out concepts.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Dude! This turned out great! I see you are using gauss' tip of canvas flipping, haha ive been doing that too. Perfect excecution. you will have a job in no time.
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for the advice haiasi! I'll try that exercise out then!

P.S: man im slow, just realised that haiasi is isaiah backwards...
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody: I wouldn't say it's Guass's tip. I've been using it for over 4 years now. It's definitely a good pointer, though.

I first learned about it from a drawing class that was telling us we should hold our drawings up to the mirror to spot errors, so I thought I would reproduce that in Photoshop and viola :)

Crasong: Glad I could help, and don't worry about it. It's kind of 50/50 if people will get it or not, and even if they don't I really couldn't care less :p
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    looks interesting, nice shapes and silhoette.
    but with this lighting we can't really see the color information from his material(is it grey or maybe green?)
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    TL DR. But I watched the video. Neat stuff! However, I'm with conte. This is more an illustration than a concept as the lighting and pose make it a bit hard to discern what *exactly* is going on with the character. What color/material is he really? How do his limbs and wings articulate? Whats up with the jetpack looking bits if he's got wings? etc.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    doeseph: I used to work with a ton of layers back in the day when I was uncomfortable with painting. The more your practice, the less you rely on layers. For about 80% of this project I was using 2 layers: the lines layer set to multiply and a layer underneath for coloring.

No I did not create an individual layer for all the separate pieces, I just jumped in and started painting on 1 layer.

I didn't increase the amount of layers until I started painting in his other scythe arm, so it went up to 3. I then created another layer on top of the new arm to continue painting, so it went up to 4.

It pretty much stayed at 4 layers. I will not say that layers are good or bad, only that you should find a work flow that best suits you. Hope that helps :)!

Thank you for the insight!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    That's a great idea! I love watching how other artists work- sometimes you find out some of the best new techniques. This is one of my favorites- http://vimeo.com/6710222
    You might want to consider showing more of the screen like he does there- I know you're not trying to make a tutorial, but it's still useful for those situations where you want someone to know how you work (your use of layers)

I'm not sure how I feel about the final result- it seems finished but not polished, I can see it as a painted concept, but agree that its been taken a bit too far in those terms- its a bit dark and I find myself asking the same things ScoobyDoofus is.

I don't think I agree with the use of less layers. Personal choice- but I find using more layers to be more useful and less destructive. When I first started, I worked on maybe 2 or 3 layers, but now I find myself using masks, messing with blend settings, that sort of thing. Then again, I can't say the last time I painted something that wasnt a texture sheet in photoshop :\
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conte & ScoobyDoofus: I see what both of you are saying and I agree. That's just a testament of how much more I still have to learn. I've always figured a dynamic lighting scheme would make the piece visually interesting, but that's only one way of looking at it.

I will try to use less of a dynamic lighting system in the future to better show the local hues that are important to a concept painting.

Organized Chaos: It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm texturing a 3D asset I'll have 30, 40, 50, or more layers to work non-destructively. In painting, it doesn't matter as much.

And thanks for posting that link, I watched it through and paused it here and there and got some new ideas. I've painted in gray scale first a lot, but I've only used Overlay and I didn't like how the colors came out. Next time I paint I'll try to use Color blending mode and see how it comes out.