Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Milkshake_Machine_WIP

This is my second post of my milkshake machine for class and would appreciate some critiques, thank you.

MSHKE_wAO1.jpg

Reference:
commercial-milk-shake-machine-32154.jpg

Replies

• Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Your color and render choices are nauseating. Find something less saturated and simple so our eyes don't bleed, and makes it easier for us to read the details.

You also have a ton of aliasing and weirdness going on. It's as if you rendered it really big and scaled it down, or vice versa. Where is the wireframe?
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    the model is nice. but render is shit... as said above. but, why model a milkshake machine?
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People model wrench's and fuse boxes and staplers.... admit RoosterMap that you, like me... have been waiting for someone to step up and build a milkshake machine.

@BowPlane. It looks like the reference... render is not adding to the model though... so maybe another... deffo add a plug i'd say

I reckon you should make it into a steampunk milkshake machine robot.... or a high rez micromachines track.... in the name of "game art!"
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I reckon you should make it into a steampunk milkshake machine robot....

+1
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well its hard to tell whats giong on with that color, but what i see is that the buttons and knobs are not right. The switch on the left is much to tall, and the knobs near the spout are prob not finsihed, and the lights on the side seem too large. Of course this only matters if your going for complete accuracy. Also you machine may be too tall, the one in the picture looks much shorter.

In terms of subject matter, a milkshake machine is actaully quite a good idea. People will always look at you weird when you create a wrench, or a trashcan or something along those lines. But the way i look at it, is that for every exciting object that needs to be made for a game there is prob 10 mundane objects that need to be modeled, so chances are some day you will be making mundane props, so might as well be good at it.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    ARGH MY EYES~ Seriously, loose the blue, you're not gaining anything from it, just go with the standard grey material clay render. I think the machine is a tad too high as well. Other than that it seem well modeled from what I could tell. Couldn't look directly at it for too long. haha :)
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    hijak wrote: »
    In terms of subject matter, a milkshake machine is actaully quite a good idea. People will always look at you weird when you create a wrench, or a trashcan or something along those lines. But the way i look at it, is that for every exciting object that needs to be made for a game there is prob 10 mundane objects that need to be modeled, so chances are some day you will be making mundane props, so might as well be good at it.

I agree!

Bowplane is one of the poor souls in my class, and I really try to pressure students to stay away from the dumpsters, fire hydrants, and mailboxes when choosing projects. Nothing worse in my opinion than cluttering your portfolio with the same generic nonsense that employers have to sift through when looking at a prop artist's body of work. Keep it original!
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just think that if someone can model a tank... a wrench is a mornings work.... so i would hire tank boy... who could build the wrench... and a tank... and still go home at 5
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    I just think that if someone can model a tank... a wrench is a mornings work.... so i would hire tank boy... who could build the wrench... and a tank... and still go home at 5

Word.

That's the reason I'm into modelling simple stand-alone props. If I'm gonna model a wrench I'd rather go the next step and make it part of a repair shop mini environment. Unless it's a quick exercise, of course, but simple untextured props shouldn't be portfolio pieces IMHO.
  • bowplane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for great feedback. The machine does seem quite boring but i want to focus on learning, more than impressing anyone. I expect that as my speed and skill increase from my experience, so will my artistic decisions.

@OTT: Roger that, I used the light tracer with a skylight in the scene to achieve the ambient occlusion layered in photoshop, without resizing so i'm not certain why it is anti-aliasing, any suggests? another lighting plug perhaps?

Standby for WIP_2...Thanks again.
  • Apophis3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bowplane wrote: »
    Thank you all for great feedback. The machine does seem quite boring but i want to focus on learning, more than impressing anyone. I expect that as my speed and skill increase from my experience, so will my artistic decisions.

@OTT: Roger that, I used the light tracer with a skylight in the scene to achieve the ambient occlusion layered in photoshop, without resizing so i'm not certain why it is anti-aliasing, any suggests? another lighting plug perhaps?

Standby for WIP_2...Thanks again.

Don't worry if the model is boring, its not about that at all mate. Like you said its the learning process. Modeling props like this is a great way to learn not only that it will impress people looking to hire you, knowing that you can crank out random props.

As for the lighting and rendering stuff. I would not do renders in you're 3d package. The best thing to do is show the model in real time, ie running a screen cap from max in high quality mode. Or showing it in the Unreal Engine or other game engine.

On another note can you post some wireframe renders?
  • bowplane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i changed the color and am still adding the changes from your guys feedback but i wanted to post a wireframe before the modifications. Thanks.
    MSHKE_3_6.jpg
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A plug would make it complete. I dunno man... it's purple. I'd like to see it have materials or be textured like the one in the reference... or close.

Deffo keep on the learning side of it... I would argue you learn more from choosing intersting projects though... at least if you model a pistol, sword, tree, crate... you learn a lot more shapes than in this example... for example.... and also the low poly/normal mapping procedures.... those factor in more then too.

Keep at in, is good work so far.
  • bowplane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have some high poly issues with the dispenser shaft , I can't seem to make the cylinder clean without a pinch from the control edge of the cut in the face. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Low Poly Wireframe:
    dispenser_p1.jpg

Turbosmoothed
    dispenser_p2.jpg

Reference
    dispenser_p3.jpg
  • premium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    premium polycounter lvl 13
    Hey bowplane!
    A little paintower in here.
    paintower.jpg
    I believe this could help. But if it doesn't than I'm sorry.
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    i tried also to solve the problem..and failed ...i will try it again but now i have no time ... i think you must start with initially higher divided cylinder and with that, premiums solution should work but i will test and post the wires when i've tested it...
  • bowplane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers! I will start with this and see how far I get; much appreciated.