Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Merc character for Unreal

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Crimsonfox polycounter lvl 13
Long time lurker, decided to post something seeing as people here seem to be known for their awesome criticism. Just looking for C&C really on it, it's being made for Uni so there's a couple of things I have to cover like it will HAVE to have swappable parts etc. It is also my first serious attempt at a human character so comment away on anatomy and such. I think I put the knee pads too low. :P

Here's the concept for it, mainly looking at the modular design of characters in UT3. Concept is probably my weakest area so there's not too much detail, I end up doing most of my concepting on my base mesh.
enginesConcept.jpg
enginesHeadConcept.jpg

Here's some progress shots, currently a shade under 10k tris. Couple of areas I know I need to work on are the butt, the beard, hands a bit more, and probably the jacket. I'm thinking some of the creases on the backpack are a little too defined as well but maybe not, kinda on the fence about that.

wireWIP1.jpg

sculptWIP1.jpg

Replies

• mathes
    You should post some orthographic shots as well. At first glance, his arm looks too short and he appears to be very thin.
  • Crimsonfox
    Offline / Send Message
    sculptSide.jpg

Here's a quick side view and I can see what you're saying, the arm could do with being slightly longer. I think the thin-ness issue is being slightly caused by how the shirt underneath his jacket isn't filling out the jacket space properly.
    www.photonpuppy.co.ukwww.photonpuppy.co.uk[IMG]file:///C:/Users/CRIMSO%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
    Thanks for pointing it out! Anyone got any good resources for profile views of people, finding it hard to find some. =/
  • Flaringo
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
    lumbar_anatomy02.jpg

i'm no expert, but the spine's got some curving. you might want to take a look at that. his back is just waaaay to straight
  • Crimsonfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice image, some interesting words to look up. Here's a quick update on the torso. Need to push out the bottom of the back a little more to make a slightly more defined bum now I look at it though.

sculptTorsoAlt.jpg
  • beezul
    i really feel that you need to do more anatomy studies before you add more detail to this character. His arms look really short. i think his elbow should come down further and his fore arm is really short. He seems to have a long torso, a low crotch and short legs.. Its going to take some time to get the anatomy to look more believable, but its much more important than any details you may add on top.
  • Crimsonfox
    Offline / Send Message
    BetelGeist wrote: »
    i really feel that you need to do more anatomy studies before you add more detail to this character. His arms look really short. i think his elbow should come down further and his fore arm is really short. He seems to have a long torso, a low crotch and short legs.. Its going to take some time to get the anatomy to look more believable, but its much more important than any details you may add on top.

Thanks for the tips. It never ceases to surprise me that you just don't notice these things and then when someone points them out, you realise how wrong it is. :P

I won't post another screen for a bit, still working on it, but I'm on a bit of a time limit here seeing as it is for Uni so it probably won't be to exactly the quality I would like it but I'll do the best I can with what I got.
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    the elbow is also on the outside of the arm while the tendons on the back of the hand are too pronounced, the hand in general is a bit misshapen, but I like your palm though:)

besides the anatomy flaws, the pants look like they are made of shirt material, withe the quick folds, and uneven bottom.
    your shirt (vest) also shouldnt have an uneven bottom, as most have a trim that goes around the bottom of the torso and sleeves, it looks like a stretched hobo shirt atm.
    he also has no ass.
  • Crimsonfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips guys, I've attempted to fix the problems and a few more I found after looking at some more anatomy references but I've got to move on now otherwise I'll run out of time, gotta move onto the engine stuff.

Here's a quick couple of images showing the changes I've made and also shows a breakdown of subtools as well.

compFront.jpg

compSide.jpg
  • Crimsonfox
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iQ_9xCU5Hw[/ame]

Video of a little animation test in Unreal so I can check weighting and stuff. The right leg needs some tweaking around the shin pad as do the fingers. Whar that animation doesn't show is much bending in the torso though, which does show some problems with the strap around his chest.

Any other problems anyone sees?
  • Crimsonfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I've finally finished it. Thanks to everyone here for the pointers and help.

You can download the final one here http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=724873