Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] 2D-3D transitions/LouisGon

Howdy Folks! My name is Louis Gonzalez. Im an AIW 2008 alumni. Majored in animation, focused on game development art. I've recently transitioned from being a strictly 2D artist to focusing on a new 3D light! It was suggested to me by Hyperdivine to join this site. This is my first time looking through the forums and I have to say I'm amazed and inspired. I've def found a new home. I promise to be as insightful and useful for those who ask as much as possible.
In return I'd like to state t hat critiques and comments are welcomed and appreciated.
Recently I've changed my website domain name from 13thskull(people said it sounded like a virus) to ArtofGon....and updated the home page. I thought maybe a blog style front page was a good idea... but now I'm second guessing myself. I've seen alot of portfolios with BAM, big stuff right up front. Please let me know what you think of my site's front page and galleries as a whole.
I Will be posting my most recent works here as well. I've recently been working on my first three full unwrapped/textured character within Maya and Modo. Modeling in Maya is awful... but I've made it a point to learn it in order to better my chances of landing a job in the industry.
Check out muh stuff and drop your 2 cents about it!
thanks mucho.
Higher res at my deviantart
-LouisGon aka BetelGeist ( pronounced beetle guy-st) not betalgeest ;D
DarkElf_Brawler_by_BetelGeist.jpgelfmayafinalhirez-betelgeist.jpg
Wood_Elf_Rocknroll_by_BetelGeist.jpg
Autumnfinal-betelgeist.jpg
King-Crom-Betelgeist.jpg
KingCromfin-turaround-betelgeist-1.jpg

And some polypainted Z Brush sculpts. ase mesh imported from Modo.
funkycoalelf-betelgeist.jpg
Borisfin-betelgeist.jpg
irislexx-betelgeist.jpg
boogasm-betelgeist.jpg

Replies

• Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Welcome! I love your work. Your 2D Texturing skills definitely shine through. Your modeling is very good as well.. you definitely have a great style. I hope you enjoy Polycount... the people here are great.
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Progg! I've just recently cleaned up my 2D before becoming a 3D artist. I had a lot of people seeing there wasnt enough clarity in my work. Thanks about the modeling comment. I studied alot of high poly and low poly meshes for proper animatable construction.
    I'm sure I'll love polycount. People seem pretty spiffy and I cant wait to participate in some of the contests!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Betel, you've got some nice stuff there :) I love those exaggerated proportions. Your texturing is dope as well. Good luck there!
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    pretty cool designs
    on the textures i would suggest adding some more color to them to achieve a better effect.
    like with the shadows on the last devil don't just use a darker red but try using some purple for example. Your paints look pretty good, great atmosphere in the one with the lava
  • Crimsonfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crimsonfox polycounter lvl 13
    Love your style, translates really well into 3D and the textures look lovely.

Be nice to see some of the wires for the other stuff, but other than that, your presentation is nice a clean. =)
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you cigs!
    Thanks Raven.
    I def hear ya on adding more colors... I have a tendency to use slightly monochromatic color schemes. I will definately add more dynamic schemes on future works. And will rework some of the colors on the red dude. He's kind of on the backburner. Been havin trouble importing uvs from Maya and modo to apply the polypaint to the new uv space.. might just have to use uv master... but i dont really like it...
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    awesome style !
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    great work man!
  • cadyw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome work, detailed yet beautifully simple... I strive to be a character modeler like you
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you renaud! i hope to be workin along side you at blizzard someday. i know its hella competitive.
    dkk,sage- thank you both very much
    cadyw- thanks! you have already some great animation! concentrate on design and ashion now and you got it!

any comments on how im presenting my work in my website? im not getting any feedback from job applications.. i must be doing something very wrong
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Dado. I have every intention of makin that happen.
    its offline?
    Try this link ArtofGon
    i really hope that site is workin.... i just applied to a few jobs
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    That first concept, I just love it. I'm looking forward to when you start getting your feet wet with higher poly normal mapped pieces.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    :D:D nice dump man !
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    HAI Beet!

Good to see you posting here! Make sure you post your wire-frames too, as it is vital for the critiquing process :)
  • zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
    Nice style! :thumbup:
    But ? Where is the rest of Iris body? !
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesier-Thanks! right now im working on a low poly scene to showcase these characters. Probably will do some individual beauty shots of each on a cut out of the environment, and a final comp of them about to battle.. wanted to get all that out of my system before i dive into normal mapping.
    When I do though, I'll probably start by using uv master to unwrap those busts and create a color map from the poly paint and create normals maps from the sculpt. Just to get use to some of the procedure. Luckily I rececntly picked up Scott Spenser's Zbrush book.
    Yo Hazard! a hefty dump is a healthy dump ;D
    Yo moon! good point.
    got some help on the flow from moon on this mesh
    brawlerwireframe-betelgeist.jpg
    cromWIP-betelgeist.jpg

Harard and Moon have both been a huge help in my transition from 2D to 3D. they both endured my noobish questioning.
    Dado
    Great points man. I've been wondering what to do with my blog. Ill cut down on the quantity on my site, make bigger thumbs, and make sure my sig is on everything. All great advise thank yo very much.
    Zoffty, I really do want to make the rest of her. She's my digital dream girl ;D im not rushin it though.. im thinkin steam punk for her.
    Ill probably get to her after the environment, normal map experiments, and maybe after one more low poly model. thanks for the encouragment!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wonderful work great paints, great colors!
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks woogity!
    Ok update. Made suggested changes to my portfolio.
    All my work is now on the home page with larger thumbnails and only my best work showing. got rid of half the stuff i had before, but i feel it wasnt realy helping.
    let me know whatchu be tinkin mahn.
    http://artofgon.com
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    wow lol ur prty awesome
    i love your characters
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    stylish as hell!
    welcum to the boards)
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Very interesting work. I was just about to ask for more wireframes until I saw one of your later posts. Keep it up!
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you all very much. ill be sure to display wireframes more in the future. ive been looking at some nice layouts that ill try
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Nice and unique touch to your arts bro...Keep up the good work. :)
  • Olszewsm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work man, loving the character textures. Very impressive.
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Nitewalkr and Olszwsm :D

here are a few speed sculpts and a mid poly character ive been workin on thats rendered in marmoset.

goatboyspeedsculpt-betelgeistr.jpg

oldgiza-15-betelgeist.jpg

speedsculp-newgirl-betelgeistr.jpg

xander-marmoset-wip-betelgeist.jpg

i was wondering if anyone has had any problem working with modo to marmoset? everything seems to be in workin order when i export, but when i bring it into marmoset, the model is sometimes not merged in places where it should be. This cause the smoothing groups to work incorrectly or not at all in some places. The side of his head is a perfect example of the smoothing groups not working :/ ill be doin around for some answers, but if anyone knows already please feel free to enlighten me.
    crits and comments are always welcome. thank you
    -Betelgesit
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome stuff, the last render really stands out. As far as Modo, I've had my problems but I never figured it out, I just switched back to max.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    awesome style!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    You got a great style going there, I love it!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    Those last two peices are insane, really inspiring work.

I really like how excellent your 2d skills are as well as your 3d skills, really nice folio ^^
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Damn I love your style!..looking forward for a new updates!..as for your website, why don't you make the logo, "home-resume-contact", "Welcome to ArtofGon.com, the 3D and 2D works of Louis Gonzalez"on the same place (the header) to not waste the space. It's kinda wasted to put your art "below the fold" since that's the main content anyway. And just a thought, instead of putting the big banner there, you can have the actual content replacing it.

A quick mock up:

4zQB6.jpg
    *I can remove this image if you don't like I post image in your thread~

Personally I like to see the art right in the beginning (aka above the fold). Mouse rollover the image then it will show the color (instead of the orange tint, cus looks like you love orange color heh..), then you click then the lightbox of the actual image appear.
    Hope this gives you some idea! :)

_Revel
  • tagobarantino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would like to say those is top row stuff! Polycount have best artist!
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius_- thanks bro! you've helped out so much. I need to dust off the cobwebs in Max myself
    YOU NEED TO GIVE MODO A CHANCE... again

thanks guys! I'm really enjoying the transition from concept to production artist.. still need a job though! :wink wink:

thank you Reveal
    and thanks for the site layout suggestion and the time youve sepnt making that mock up. i like what youa are think there, but do you think i have too much work to have all those large banner thumbs?
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Wicked awesome stuff man! I love your style. Keep up the great work!
  • Shaffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BetelGeist wrote: »
    thanks Nitewalkr and Olszwsm :D

i was wondering if anyone has had any problem working with modo to marmoset? everything seems to be in workin order when i export, but when i bring it into marmoset, the model is sometimes not merged in places where it should be. This cause the smoothing groups to work incorrectly or not at all in some places. The side of his head is a perfect example of the smoothing groups not working :/ ill be doin around for some answers, but if anyone knows already please feel free to enlighten me.
    crits and comments are always welcome. thank you
    -Betelgesit

You can change the smoothing angle of the mesh but in modo it is located in the shader tree menu>Base Material> Properties> Smoothing Angle. To get it to mimic max the value is higher but I can't remember the exact number. I think it's 60? Somebody else please chime in.

I have modo open so here is a pic (Bottom)
    smoothingangle.png
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Well, you have quite lot of (great) work there dude and "but do you think i have too much work to have all those large banner thumbs?" I can only answer "only time will tell" hehe..Or maybe you can alter the size of those thumbs maybe shrink the horizontal size so you can have some space to describe a bit about that particular work at the side, or reduce the vertical size and put the description at the bottom of each thumbs, etc.

Anyway with the "above the fold" I mean something like a headline in a newspaper, most of people don't have that much time to browse through all the news that they offer, if the headline above the fold is interesting enough at least they will look for the rest of the first page (aka the bellow the fold content) or on the worst time possible they will remember to come back after they have time when they found some interesting news in the headline. Same with your website, above the fold means before I have to scroll down you put the content right away which make me (and anybody else) interested to scroll down to browse some more.

Just don't waste an opportunity to grab people (possible employer) attention with such a useless (sorry :p) banner to greet them enter your website..hehe

_Revel
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You could always go and group several things under 1 banner.
    For instance the old bloke and the alienface could be together on "Speed sculpts".
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sebeuroc :D
    thanks for the info Shaffer, but i think the problem lies within modos vert beveling? ill have a screen cap soon of what i mean. basically where i extruded verts to make hair spikes, the mesh has become detached in marmoset. causing the smoothin groups i have applied to not work at all.
    i normally set the smoothing groups to about 84-86 ill try out your number though.

Revel- thanks for the insight. i am def going to add some content above the fold as you put it. very good idea.

Snader i should do this as well. putting multiple speed sculpts together would save a browser alot of time. thanks
  • Shaffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought that could have been your issue, good luck man I really like it. I havent beveled too many verts in modo.