Home General Discussion

Mudbox 2011

Replies

• teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Seems like folks at Autodesk really like this shade of grey. :poly142: Max, Maya and now Mudbox.

They finally added blending modes, however there as not as many of them as in PS. Glad to see that since I fell in love with Mudbox's painting tools. No signs of masking though :/ - seems like I will have to stick around with Photoshop for a little bit longer.
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So there is new pose tool tab...
    Now want to see them in action
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    why can't autodesk stick to the standart grey? :(
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Looks nice, glad they are finally putting in pose tools. And also like the new theme, easier on the eyes.

But at $800 (+ $375 for each upgrade) its still not being competative with Zbrush ($600 + free upgrades) or 3DCoat ($300 + free upgrades). I doubt we'll ever see a nice upgrade system like with its competitors, but they could at least bring the initial purcase price in line with the rest.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking a lot better. The new UI color is great. The interface is not as crowded at Zbrush is.
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive been beta testing this for the last few months and i can tell you guys that the implementation of the pose tool and other features are really awesome!!

vector displacements will change alot of things!!! i should have some videos and images soon!!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love how this picture says, mudbox crash recovery file lol
    sounds stable.
    Mudbox2011_Color_Chooser.png
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    what exactly is this vector displacement thing?
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds similar to modo's image based sculpting... probably a way to sculpt/detail on top of an already high rez mesh using UV/image maps. Mesh doesn't need to be high rez though - so long as it has uvs I guess.
  • Cheesestraws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vector displacement is a displacement map that holds more than just the displacement along the normal. It is able to represent details like overhangs.

Like the mushrooms in this image. The mushrooms could be extracted without the base mesh having to have basic geometry there to support the forms. The cool thing is Mudbox 2011 can paint using vector displacement maps, so if for example you sculpted those mushrooms from a plane and extracted the vector displacement from it you could then use that map to paint mushrooms on other meshes.

vector_displacment.png
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Can AO be baked from source to target meshes in 2011? I don't think it was possible in 2010.

Nice to see Pose Tools in there.
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy shit, this update looks amazing. These are exactly the features I've been wanting for quite some time. Can't wait to check it out.
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    lol @bitmap man you nailed it..
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    can't wait for this update. they added almost everything I hoped for.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Looks awesome, holding onto ZBrush just for the brushes is looking less and less like a valid reason to not switch apps...again...

A guy at work spotted this issue on the below screengrab...whats up with the rendered shadows?!

BORK :P

Mudbox2011_Turntables.png
  • Cheesestraws
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As much as I don't like Mudbox, that's pretty darn cool!
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    exported a maya rig into mud...

rig1.jpg
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu, how flexible are the posing tools? Is it simply for posing, or can you also stretch and scale along joints like transpose in Zbrush? I find that feature very useful for tweaking proportions, and would love to have an equivalent available in Mudbox.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    adamlewis wrote: »
    oglu, how flexible are the posing tools? Is it simply for posing, or can you also stretch and scale along joints like transpose in Zbrush? I find that feature very useful for tweaking proportions, and would love to have an equivalent available in Mudbox.

yes scale, rotate and translate is supported...
    and in mud its real weighting not an softselectin...
    you can paint the weighting after posing the bone...
    but there si no symmetry option...
    you have to resym your char afterwards if you need...
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dunno why and maybe its just me but i never missed these features in mudbox
    i missed brushes that dont feel like shit.
    I know Adamlewis for example does crazy things with it but i never got cosy with them.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Stu, I know what you mean. I loved the brushed from the original mudbox, and no matter what I do in the newer versions..I can never get it to feel the same :(

It's the same thing with Zbrush too, only it's the smooth brush that feels off to me.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://area.autodesk.com/gdc

hey guys, today is day one of Autodesk’s live presentation of their upcoming softwares, there have been some cool stuff so far. they have presentations from naughty dog uncharted 2, Maya, Motion builder,Mudbox,3dsmax,Softimage.

they will be showing off some of the latest improvements and addition in mudbox.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I just bought a personal copy of zbrush today. I would have shown more interest in this. But $300 to upgrade each year? And you deal with Autodesks Monopoly fist?

Still. Cool shit.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    here an other great mudbox feature... uv tiles...
    you can paint hundreds of textures seamless onto one object...
    or bake normalmaps, displacement, VDM, ao into...
    this is also working with layer and blendingmodes...
    you can hide those tiles you dont need...
    not new in 2011 but there are only a few people out there they know about...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro_Ruhu-SGs[/ame]
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    oXYnary wrote: »
    I just bought a personal copy of zbrush today. I would have shown more interest in this. But $300 to upgrade each year? And you deal with Autodesks Monopoly fist?

Still. Cool shit.

It was worse when 2009 came out, imagine being promised a proper flat shaded mode fix and getting a big f*ck you from autodesk a few months later cause you had to buy 2010 for that bug fix :)
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    It makes sense that people have these issues.
    Also the bugs and such are simply because this is still in BETA, so yeah you will see lots of bugs.

I think many people are really missing the point.

Mudbox simply does things faster and easier than other tools. It is more expensive because it is MORE professional and it saves a professional a lot of money. It has a great future in the hands of autodesk and that shows by the great improvements from version to version. 2011 proves that it is the better approach to sculpting and painting out there by far and not just a preference.

The graphite colour is known as "discreet grey" and is carried over the entire professional range of M&E from autodesk. Hey this website has the same colour, The reason is very simple and great. It is much easier to the eyes as someone already mentioned.

the fact alone that i can independently and simultaneously work with my textures render them in my 3d tool and edit them in Photoshop with ONLY 1 click and the flexibility and production speed this offers. not to mention the actual preview WYSIWYG for games, it's compatibility with FBX and straight export to game engines such as Unreal or Unity that this entails, and as if these were not good enough, here come the superior posing FBX related with skinned characters from your favorite 3D application the asymmetrical symmetry (:D yep that's right sounds crazy but, watch the video). Its one click import export feature to virtually any application even Zbrush, and it's non destructive and ultra efficient displacement based mesh modification workflow.. vector displacement features and all new painting tools, makes it very difficult for me to understand why people still think other sculpting tools are better.

Yes some things are there earlier than others but that alone doesn't make one approach better.

The only reason I can think of, is stubbornness, denial, and lack of true familiarity with the tool as well as lack of understanding the vision and possibilities by its use today.
    But for me as a developer in lead is clear that mudbox is the way to go for production.

What tools each and every artist has loyalty in is important, but with the creativity and productivity boost from mudbox 2011. in a professional environment somehow irrelevant. Even the most stubborn fans of other tools in the studio had their jaws dropping on the floor and are looking forward to start working with mudbox 2011.

i know i will probably be flamed and what is that what you are saying and everyone has their preferences etc. but it is simply irrelevant especially after you see the tool in action.

Speaking of which...

just in case some of you guys missed this,
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTyDbU0_tcw[/ame]

this is live preview of all the new features by the usual suspect ;)

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/craig/mudbox_2011_live_at_gdc
    nice character from the GDC demo.
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, wanted to share this with ya'll its a video demonstrating how to draw characters and creatures in mudbox,...wait what...yes drawing, although this feature have been possible since the introduction of paint layers(2009-10) users weren’t aware this was possible, i came up with this idea a while back of drawing in mudbox and with the release of 2011 around the corner and its sweet new painting tools such as dodge,burn, contrast and such accompanied by blending modes makes this feature even more powerful, you can also use this as you would regular paint layers and send them to Photoshop to use its existing tools, or finish it directly in mud.

it feels so natural even more so than Photoshop, as i’m able to zoom/pan and use the mirror option to do symmetrical drawings, and take advantage of the steady stroke and stamps on my brushes to get a wide variety of styles.
    you can aslo, save screen images of your character sculpts and draw over it to explore designs and such with-out leaving mudbox.

as mentioned in the video, ill be doing a series of these in which i take a character from concept to completion with-out leaving mudbox...keep an eye out.

anyhoo...enjoy!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RidbIiOd7cw[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLJxO94aKLQ[/ame]
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Jam, I dunno if youre going to cover this in upcoming videos - but something similar that I really enjoy doing is 2.5D concepting in mudbox. Basically, something similar to what you are doing here, but using tools like bulge/flatten to make it a relief drawing. It's also possible to pull out big shapes out of the drawing plane using the move tool ... and in the end, one gets very accurate realtime cast shadows as a bonus!

Very fun to do and it always makes everybody freak out :P
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    yiannisk wrote: »
    It makes sense that people have these issues.
    Also the bugs and such are simply because this is still in BETA, so yeah you will see lots of bugs.

Mudbox simply does things faster and easier than other tools. It is more expensive because it is MORE professional and it saves a professional a lot of money. It has a great future in the hands of autodesk and that shows by the great improvements from version to version. 2011 proves that it is the better approach to sculpting and painting out there by far and not just a preference.

The graphite colour is known as "discreet grey" and is carried over the entire professional range of M&E from autodesk. Hey this website has the same colour, The reason is very simple and great. It is much easier to the eyes as someone already mentioned.

the fact alone that i can independently and simultaneously work with my textures render them in my 3d tool and edit them in Photoshop with ONLY 1 click and the flexibility and production speed this offers. not to mention the actual preview WYSIWYG for games, it's compatibility with FBX and straight export to game engines such as Unreal or Unity that this entails, and as if these were not good enough, here come the superior posing FBX related with skinned characters from your favorite 3D application the asymmetrical symmetry (:D yep that's right sounds crazy but, watch the video). Its one click import export feature to virtually any application even Zbrush, and it's non destructive and ultra efficient displacement based mesh modification workflow.. vector displacement features and all new painting tools, makes it very difficult for me to understand why people still think other sculpting tools are better.

Yes some things are there earlier than others but that alone doesn't make one approach better.

The only reason I can think of, is stubbornness, denial, and lack of true familiarity with the tool as well as lack of understanding the vision and possibilities by its use today.
    But for me as a developer in lead is clear that mudbox is the way to go for production.

What tools each and every artist has loyalty in is important, but with the creativity and productivity boost from mudbox 2011. in a professional environment somehow irrelevant. Even the most stubborn fans of other tools in the studio had their jaws dropping on the floor and are looking forward to start working with mudbox 2011.

i know i will probably be flamed and what is that what you are saying and everyone has their preferences etc. but it is simply irrelevant especially after you see the tool in action.

Speaking of which...

just in case some of you guys missed this,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTyDbU0_tcw

this is live preview of all the new features by the usual suspect ;)

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/craig/mudbox_2011_live_at_gdc
    nice character from the GDC demo.

thats a lot of words. but really, as a professional, it doesn't really matter to me whether mudbox offers a more streamlined interface thats easier to get into, if that streamlined interface is out of my price range. which is the reason i bought Zbrush, and not mudbox.
    the latest Zbrush UI is reasonably easy to get into, and it has an extremely powerful brush set, along with a myriad of other tools.
    after a week or so of easing in, i can work just as fast in Zbrush as i can in mudbox, compared to about a day to familiarize with mudbox.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yiannisk wrote: »

Mudbox simply does things faster and easier than other tools. It is more expensive because it is MORE professional and it saves a professional a lot of money.

professional should not equal expensive that is rather elitist and just the kind of marketing rubbish that companies like autodesk thrive on. I do agree that mudbox does things faster and easier for the new user but I dont think it necessarily has that same advantage for professional digital sculptors who have been using varied sculpting software for many years now.
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    professional should not equal expensive that is rather elitist and just the kind of marketing rubbish that companies like autodesk thrive on. I do agree that mudbox does things faster and easier for the new user but I dont think it necessarily has that same advantage for professional digital sculptors who have been using varied sculpting software for many years now.

C'mon guys, there's no need for this thread to turn into a flame war about which program is better than which and which one has more money...none of us are getting a penny from any of them so our allegiance to the products means nothing!

these arguments scream improfesionalism as any profesional sculptor would know that at the end of the day the tools aren't what makes a good designer/artist, its all about understanding shapes and forms and how they interact with each other, yes certain tools are better for certain jobs USE WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT!!! (just create good art so ill have something to pass a few hours at work....)
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually it does matter.

At the end of the day it's about the tools. You cannot chop wooden logs with a stick. No matter what Mudbox releases, it's always going to look to me like MS Paint, whereas ZBrush is Photoshop.

Because everytime I load up Mudbox, I feel like I went back 2 years worth of 'already featured' features. When I load up ZBrush, I feel like I am getting closer to what I really need at my finger tips to create near a traditional medium, w/ less advertising & money vacuuming involved.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: Double post.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    jam-i-am wrote: »
    C'mon guys, there's no need for this thread to turn into a flame war about which program is better than which and which one has more money...none of us are getting a penny from any of them so our allegiance to the products means nothing!

these arguments scream improfesionalism as any profesional sculptor would know that at the end of the day the tools aren't what makes a good designer/artist, its all about understanding shapes and forms and how they interact with each other, yes certain tools are better for certain jobs USE WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT!!! (just create good art so ill have something to pass a few hours at work....)

I dont know where you are seeing a flame war Im not argueing zbrush vs mudbox I agreed with his sentiment that mudbox is easier for the user to grasp, hec I use both zbrush and mudbox and I dont have any alliegience to either. I just dont like someone saying one is more professional than the other and that professionalism costs money, we could be talking about chocolate and I still wouldnt agree with that statement. Mudbox does not have a competitive price tag and thats all I can see, regardless of any percieved professional status that mudbox has weve seen people producing amazing results in both software and one is definitely cheaper than the other.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    at the moment i see the power of mud more in the feature film production...
    cause its really good in highress texture stuff... baking and painting hundreds of 4k textures onto one object... and the direct connection with maya for blendshape work...
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    I dont know where you are seeing a flame war Im not argueing zbrush vs mudbox I agreed with his sentiment that mudbox is easier for the user to grasp, hec I use both zbrush and mudbox and I dont have any alliegience to either. I just dont like someone saying one is more professional than the other and that professionalism costs money, we could be talking about chocolate and I still wouldnt agree with that statement. Mudbox does not have a competitive price tag and thats all I can see, regardless of any percieved professional status that mudbox has weve seen people producing amazing results in both software and one is definitely cheaper than the other.

@Ged

I approve this statement!! i totally agree there are artist that will make your eyes bleed from looking at their art in either program, and that statement about one being more professional is bullshit!
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Oooh I much rather prefer that new photoshop-style colour picker than the current one in 2010 ...

Exciting times :)
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jam, that's a really brilliant idea. It never occurred to me before that Mudbox might be useful for 2D concepting, but now that I think about it the tools and navigation system are perfectly suited for it. I'll be sure to try that out later.

Cool concept, by the way - you should sculpt it ;).
  • oglu
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    i so very much want to make the move to mudbox. thus far though i've been pretty well disappointed with the workflow in the viewport. anyone know of any developments in this area ? proper custom sticky keys. custom marking menu's. single click isolating of selection sets and / or marquee selections. etc ?
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I really wanna like MB. I like the UI, I like the shortcut keys, I like the customization, there's a lot to like there, but the forced workflow really pisses me off. I haven't used it in a long time, so I might be off with this, but the last time I used it, they were bragging about programming it for better performance if you use big brushes early on, then only the little brushes with higher divisions. I don't like that workflow. And I don't like having to drop down in div levels JUST to make an adjustment with the move brush. I like to divide 3-5 times depending on the mesh, then start editing. I'm not trying to add details, but I like the "feel" of working with clay a lot better than working with polygons. For me, it just feels more creative, and I have more freedom, than the workflow they forced on us earlier on in MB's life.

Has that changed? And if it has, has it changed enough? Guess I'll have to get the demo when it comes out to find out.
  • 7089tPp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad to see Autodesk is pushing MudBox forward rapidly. Vector Displacements seem like a real game changer; very excited to start using them in our pipe. A library of Vector Displacement maps seems like it could be really powerful for kit bashing.

As feature-rich as Z-Brush is, Mudbox is a much more elegant workflow that I think will prevail down the road. As long as Autodesk doesn't abuse their monopoly too terribly...er, wait.. who am I kidding..
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A highly intuitive 3D digital sculpting and texture painting solution designed by industry professionals who understand how you work.

it's that kind of attitude. same as with ZB at the other end of the spectrum. that shackles them both
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, this is an old model i did a while back and wanted to do some posing to it with the latest pose tools in mudbox 2011, this video demonstrates how simple it is to pose your characters with armor and such and have it follow the joint rotations. You can also scale and translate the joints to change proportions and designs very easily.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5jBw7Tj2T0[/ame]
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    tacit math wrote: »
    i so very much want to make the move to mudbox. thus far though i've been pretty well disappointed with the workflow in the viewport. anyone know of any developments in this area ? proper custom sticky keys. custom marking menu's. single click isolating of selection sets and / or marquee selections. etc ?

sry no sticky keys and no marking menues...
    im asking for them scince ever...

but you can select and hide object on different uv tiles with shift+A...
    and rectangle selection is LMB+MMB...

try the demo if available and suggest the features you are missing...
    in the help menue --> suggest a feature
    they are tracking all those sugs and if a feature get more votes it became a higher priority...
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu wrote: »
    sry no sticky keys and no marking menues...
    im asking for them scince ever...

but you can select and hide object on different uv tiles with shift+A...
    and rectangle selection is LMB+MMB...

oglu. thanks for the insight. man. ( re: the keys and menu ) real sorry to hear about that then

does the shift+A selection work in a cursor hovering over the area kinda way. or hold shift+A and click ( or some other manner perhaps ) ?

regarding the rectangle marquee. i figure you mean hold MMB click and drag ? is there an option to map this to a key ?

jam-i-am. thanks for the vid dude. looks like a pretty powerful solution. transposing multiple objects in zb is a bloody shitFight in a box of chocolates so that functionality is hugely welcome

one other aspect you guys might be able to shed light on. i've always found it quite frustrating that you couldn't sculpt across multiple objects in zb ( outside of them being shells belonging to the same tool of course ). is this possible in MB 2011 ?