Home General Discussion

Print Portfolio Dos and Don'ts

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
UPDATE!

After having actually gone to GDC. I can near fact-fully insist that a print portfolio is not only a great idea, It's damn near expected.

I heard a complaint to almost every person (though there were few) who tried showing thier work on the small screen of a phone or even psp.

However, phones/psps worked excellent at parties and social events.

--

(if there is a more appropriate place for this thread, please move)

With GDC just around the corner, I thought it would be good to have a public suggestion thread for what to, and what not to put in a *print* portfolio.

I'll start with a few questions and we'll see where feedback goes from there:

If showing wireframes, is it still necessary/a good idea to post tri-counts? ( seems to me that topology should speak for itself in its necessity or lack-there-of... ?

If following a good amount of fully finished work, is it appropriate or acceptable to have a page showing a solid work in progress (ie: a finished high poly model that is lit, but not textured) for the sake of showing work-process?

As an environment artist, how important is it to show texture sheets? Should they be reserved for a select few items to demonstrate texturing skill, or do they really need to be attached to every asset breakdown?

Replies

• JaySmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JaySmitt polycounter lvl 13
    I'm in the same boat as you, I have a Uni interview next wednesday and I'm getting all my digital work together. Can anyone recommend any concept sheet styles that will make the concepts stand out more? Or is it just best to leave them as they are?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    i think showing the work process is sort of useless because most pro's know the process, and if your final piece rocks then no matter the process you're doing something right.
    However it can be nice to see untextured models to be better able to judge your sense for forms and volumes - especially if your final shot doesn't fully show this due to lighting / textures / camera angle / etc
    You can overlay this with a wire so people get an idea about your ability to efficiently use geo and how neat you're able to model.

personally I wouldn't attach a texture sheet to EVERY asset, because environments tend to end up with lots of textures - especially if you use tiling. Just add about 2 of the very very best texture pages you got to a select object.

Or just look around at polycount for inspiration. There's many talented enviro artists here with great online folios.

In addition to the printed stuff you may hand out, have exactly the same version available for online viewing - either as website or as PDF booklet.
    Avoid loose pages. Don't spend too much on printing / binding if you plan to hand out print folios - you want to make a good impression but you don't wanna hurt yourself by spending too much in the process.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I've seen plenty of interviewees bring a binder with prints of their portfolio images and resume. It's simple, and gets the point across.

With that in mind, it's usually best to follow web portfolio standards.
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to run a print of the high-poly project, so that if someone asks what i'm working on, or asks to see more than whats in my folio, i can show them my current project.

With GDC just around the corner, I think we should keep this thread going for up-and-commers to reference.

So texture sheets will be reserved for select work.
    What about tri-counts? Should they be listed for all assets, or just a select few, or not at all? Do employers care more about seeing good use of polys via wireframe then numbers?
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Well Nate I made a print portfolio a few days ago for GDC. I just had images, with words only on texture sheets. I did include wireframes though. I figure if I'm standing there showing them my print portfolio if they have a question like "how many tri's" I can tell them.

If you want my advice though, GET IT MADE NOW! If you go to kinkos or anywhere for that matter be prepared to fight a battle to get your prints to look like they do on screen. I speant 6 hours fighting with kinkos printer and tweaking my images so that they'd print off 90% accurately.

If you go the day of, or even the day before hand you might screw yourself over with some bad prints, and then there is no point in even showing it off.
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Don't = Print Portfolio's.

Do = Bring a laptop/iphone/buisness card with portfolio website.
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE wrote: »
    Don't = Print Portfolio's.

Do = Bring a laptop/iphone/buisness card with portfolio website.

I plan to have business cards with a website available, but I've been told by several people that its far more irritating for employers when you're fiddling around with a laptop, or sticking the minuscule screen of an iPhone (...iPhone...lol) in their nose.

Ironically enough, your Stefan is going to be reviewing the portfolios (print) of a few people I know, possibly including myself.

Having read your reply, I'm now a tad uneasy.
    Why exactly do you not recommend a print portfolio?
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you have something to show is what matters. The last thing you want to do is just walk up to an employer and hand them your resume and say "Hey hire me!" and they look at you and say "Well what do you have to show me?"

If you hand them a demo reel DvD they can't play it there, so either a laptop with your images or print portfolio will suffice. I doubt the will be picky as long as the work is good you're good.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    I'm gonna bump for more eyes on this topic for suggestions/info.

I think pior mentioned he did this before? Gives people in the room stuff to look at, takes your eyes off of you and puts it more on your work for the on-site interviews.

I have one on-site interview coming up for sure...and maybe a second as well if things go well. Any more advice would be cool.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    You know what would be neat? You can get small size usb sticks printed up for cheap. Get like 25 with your name and info printed on them and save your folio and resume on them. Probably too late now, but maybe next year or next convention ;)
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My friend did that, but he is in Audio and you can't really get prints of that.
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After having actually gone to GDC. I can near fact-fully insist that a print portfolio is not only a great idea, It's damn near expected.

I heard a complaint to almost every person (though there were few) who tried showing thier work on the small screen of a phone or even psp.

However, phones/psps worked excellent at parties and social events.
  • Campaignjunkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    What I've found as a level designer: a laptop is even more useful -- you can load up your level and have whoever run around a bit in it. Those were probably my best sessions.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always keep a printed copy of my portfolio with me.

Actually, I brought it to my last job interview, even though it is available online.

Coincidentally, their internet sucked (still does :p) so they couldn't get my images to load..so luckily..we were able to just go over my printed stuff.

And at GDC, you would have to be crazy not to. Even though dumping tons of money into getting nice prints/covers/etc for your portfolio gets expensive..its worth it.