Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low Poly Head...I think I finallly got it (??)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Billz polycounter lvl 6
Ok, so I've posted a couple of times on hear about some WIP heads I've been working on. Had a few good crits from people and I'm back with another attempt. Again, it's fairly low poly,(1200 tris) and I'm starting to understand edge flow a bit better. I'm now modeling more with the thought in mind of how the face would move, and parts of the face that movement would affect. Again, I'm still not 100% there yet but I think I've made a decent stride. This head took me about 2.5 hours. I added the eyes just for fun, last second kinda thing. Am I going in the right direction here?

facefrontv2.jpg
By billzzz at 2010-03-05

faceprofv2.jpg
By billzzz at 2010-03-05

facepersv2.jpg
By billzzz at 2010-03-05

I'm think I kinda flubbed when I attatched the ear, but I'll keep it in mind for next time. Any crits or suggestions?

Replies

• makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi man you are in the right direction. lips look especially good may need a bit more points in the eye area. ear looks a bit funky make sure theres no 5 sided or tris in it. for zbrush.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    usually people create the eye first to have the reference of an eye to create the eyelids, cheeks and nose part. Even though it is the low poly model you are still missing quite a bit (if you post how many trias or polies you are working with so far, it will be appreciated)

Suggestions:
    - Forehead needs to be worked on you probebly extrude them and never tweeked them. Bring the edges from the top to the center of the edges that are on top of the head and right on top of the eye brows (where the eyebrows should be)

make a round shape of the edges that are going from the nose bottom of the cheeks and the edges that are following the side of the eye needs to be backed up a little.

You are on the right track..just not there yet, so this might help you out in terms of head geometry:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OcoksfSfFs[/ame]

Good luck.

Nice work by the way. :)
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=ac4qV2uIF3Q&feature=fvw
    this one's even cooler :). (but goes up to be way too highrez).
    It looks pretty good so far! the bridge of the nose could be brought in some.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    I would get rid of two of the loops running across the nose horizontaly and instead use this availible geo to add some roundness to the forehead. The poly density is way off between these two areas. The one loop around the chin to the forehead could be moved a bit, so that the two rows of polys are more uniform in size....also get rid of two loops runnig vertically over the chin, one on each side. Add an additional loop around the eyes...

Keep in mind, you dont need to keep it all quads on a lowpoly!

And Reset X-Form please...:poly121:
  • Billz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Billz polycounter lvl 6
    A little update here. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Nitewalkr: I'm at about 1400-1500 Tris right now. P.S. You're from Sauga? Me too man, Winston Churchill n 403.

Piflik: Instead of removing Geo I decided to add a bit, I don't really have a poly budget bud I've been modelling lately with the thought in mind of getting the look I want with as little polys as possible, before I move on to hi-res stuff. With this additional geo do you still recommend adding to the eye area? Also, what did you mean by reset x-form?

faceprofv2a.jpg
    By billzzz at 2010-03-07

facepersv2a.jpg
    By billzzz at 2010-03-07

facefrontv2a.jpg
    By billzzz at 2010-03-07
  • JaySmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JaySmitt polycounter lvl 13
    You need consistent edge flow around the eyes and mouth, see how in this image the eyes and mouth are circular. You should add more resolution to the eyes.

[IMG][/img]http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=110706

When I was doing an anatomy project a couple of months ago I was told to model a head for maybe an hour at the maximum and start a new one. You'll get better and figure out solutions to do things quicker.

Hope this helps,

Jay
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Also, if you want this head to animate correctly, you'll have to move the poles (vertices with more than 4 edges) from the corner of the mouh and eyes...

I would still remove some loops from the nose and chin...also the inner corner of the eye...try to keep a more uniform face-density...at least for the face. The back of the head can cope with less faces.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    needs loops around the nostrils, and loop that flows across the bridge of the nose, then down around the bottom of the mouth. kind of confusing image- but maybe this will help: