Home General Discussion

Beware of NVIDIA 196.75 Driver update

null
Offline / Send Message
Kylen null
My computer recently self destructed the other day due to the NVIDIA 196.75 driver update. Read more about it here

While trying to figure out exactly why my computer was chugging and blue screening I ended up frying my graphics card and potentially other components of my computer. The new driver update causes the fan on your NVIDIA graphics card to not function properly.

Please be aware of this issue so you don't roast your valuable equipment. Rollback to an earlier driver version if you have updated recently.

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    the link doesnt work....

Also have you reported this to the NVIDIA?

EDIT: I am glad I am still running GF 8800 Ultra.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    The Nvidia reported this to him!

or more like, It's official and they're most likely working on a fix.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Guess nvidia fans can't say ati's drivers are bad anymore :P Sucks to those who got caught with this, a couple of my friends who did.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the heads up, a graphic card catastophy would have been devastating right now. Lets hope they figure this out soon.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    Thats why i keep SpeedFan on at all times, knowing what the temps are helps a lot ;)

I skipped this driver update because i was on mobile internet when it came out, otherwise i would propably install it :S
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to hear about your fried graphics card. Hopefully Nvidia will reimburse you somehow.

Thanks for passing on the info.

Next time maybe go with fanless card, no need to worry so much about heat and zero noise.
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    Seems Nvidia has taken this new driver down from their website.

Thanks for the warning though, I DID install it. But luckily I didn't do any heavy gaming, otherwise I may have fried my card too. Just uninstalled it and reverted back to 196.21.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the heads up, I usually update without checking anything about it will hold off for a bit
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the heads up. My friend was complaining to me last night about L4D2 crashing on him, he sent me a pic to of what happens before it crashes. It was duplicating UI items all over the screen, and then 4x4 pixel distrotion boxes would appear. Looked like a zombie filled checker board. I'll post a pic once I get home.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    If its not broke, don't fix it is my stance on updating drivers. Last time that happened was when playing the new Prince of Persia (which was an awesome game btw, sad that the dlc never came to pc :( ). The screen would go solid black when bosses performed certain moves, but the buttons you had to press to counter would still appear. Havn't played many pc games sense then.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I almost updated to them a few days ago but didn't have the time. I use EVGA's Precision tool to keep my fans at 85% though, so I would have been ok. Hopefully nVidia sorts this out quickly, as I heard the drivers were quite good otherwise.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Well this may explain why my Bad Company 2 games have been going all white.. how do you roll back your drivers?

editt* Nevermind! They have detailed explanation how! Thanks!
  • NathanA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the heads up OP, just installed these drivers last night... rolling back now. Computer blowin up right now would really suck... course can't think of when it wouldn't :P
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    3DLee wrote: »
    I almost updated to them a few days ago but didn't have the time. I use EVGA's Precision tool to keep my fans at 85% though, so I would have been ok. Hopefully nVidia sorts this out quickly, as I heard the drivers were quite good otherwise.
    i had the bad drivers installed and set the fan to 100% through the nvidia system tools and did a little test.
    The odd thing was even though the fan was manually set to 100% the temp was 15deg higher with the 196.75 then the same section of the game with the old drivers.
    odd.