Home General Discussion

So, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light eh...?

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Let me lock the Butler in the meat fridge again and I'll be happy.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    soooo.... uhmmm.... what? lol, im confused... where are the images of the game?

maybe i can try:

those characters in the logo are almost all oversized and poorly rendered... i mean look at the L. WTF, the R even sucks. god damn those who dont try these days. These are the worst characters in a logo ever.

......... cough.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    acc wrote: »
    Underworld would have been a decent game if it didn't have a new bug literally - literally - every single minute I played of it. I beat that game just to see how many bugs they could have possibly crammed into a big name AAA package. The answer? SO MANY. Oh my god I could probably talk longer about the bugs than it takes to beat the game.

I enjoyed it, but it was buggy. Only game ever to actually crash my PS3...I got stuck on some rocks, screen went blue, PS3 died. Thankfully it rebooted OK. Also the camera sucked. But...I found it to be a really great nonetheless.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    Slum wrote: »
    Let me lock the Butler in the meat fridge again and I'll be happy.

oh god! I always did that xD
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Slum wrote: »
    .....lock the Butler in the meat fridge......

I think I just found my new euphemism for getting laid. :P
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Soooo...

Its a coop game... And yeah, looks like an arcade title, not a real Tomb Raider game... :(

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/laracroftandtheguardianoflight/news.html?sid=6252980&mode=previews

991046_03052010_screen007.jpg

courtyardgrappleswing.jpg

Such low detail, and yet such low res... Very odd...
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Odium stop for a second, close your eyes, count to 10 and exhale nice and slowly.

That better? Stop acting like a spoiled 5 year old.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sorry, I thought a discussion forum was a place to DISCUSS things, no matter what the opinion, as long as it remained civilised.

I must have missed the part of the FAQ to the forum that said "If you don't agree or like something, shut up. Unless your one of the long time guys or a pro, in which case moan away".

In other words, either "politely" offer a reason as to why you disagree, or just ignore the thread/poster. Don't act all high and mighty just because you happen to disagree with ONE persons thoughts though.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    dang, those screenshots are not was i was expecting! but it does make sense that they'd change the format when changing the name.

Reading the article it sounds pretty fun, seems like a harmless addition to the franchise that could appease more of the "10 minute gamers," while also appealing to a wider audience who may have ignored Tomb Raider games due to their history of being somewhat lengthy-involved puzzle games. I never played Tomb Raider until they changed the controls - but now I'm a fan fo' life! I wonder if this small fun format change could help them build more customers.

I just hope it has the same jumping, swinging, diving, and stuff - which im sure it will. I hardly think its something to get all worked up about, it seems like a fun, harmless, downloadable Arcade game - that has games backing it with different styles. Looks like it could look great as well (editing, i hate saying "for a downloadable game"), and be fun :)
  • NathanA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally this actually looks interesting to me now. I never really felt comfortable with their 3rd person view. Maybe this will make for more interesting puzzles? Especially with the co-op.
    Maybe if they do a combo like Uncharted+Torchlight+Prince of Persia it could get very very interesting.... or very very bad...

I would assume a lot of Old School Tomb Raider fans wouldn't like adding an RPG element to the game but it might be an interesting turn to an old title.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has nothing to do with any sort of disagreement. A good deal of the threads and replies you post seem to be hating on some game you're never going to even play. There are plenty of sites like gametrailers and youtube for these sort of comments. It gets old when you're posting here almost exlusively to hate on same shity game or whatever, its fine if you want to post your opinion, everyone is entitled to do so, but this is just excessive. 5 of the last 10 threads you have started have been for the sole purpose of hating on some game. Take the bullshit elsewhere dude.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't that what GD is for? Do you ever see me doing anything other than either posting feedback or help in any of the other forums? I have neary 1,000 posts, less than 10% of which are in GD.

Get your head out of your arse. Thats EXACTLY what this area of the site is about. Discussing things. You don't like what I have to say, then either post a reason for why you disagree or jog on. Simple, really.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, polycount isn't your personal platform to whine and bitch about video games that make you cry, despite what you may think.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    odium wrote: »
    So you drop the name of one of the most recognised titles in history, make it downloadable only, and say "its nothing like any other Tomb Raider game before".

Yeah, I call fail already... I mean, what the FUCK Crystal Dynamic? Is it REALLY so hard to see that all you have to do, is take Uncharted, replace Drake with Lara, and BOOM, instant hit? No... Instead, you will likely make this a total pile of shite just like the last few and instead continue to hire some of the worst character modelers in the history of "next gen".

Oh and btw, J. R. R. Tolkien called, he left you a message. He said "See you in court".

But yeah good luck with it...

Hey dude, you set the tone of this thread. Don't start slinging shit around if you're worried about getting some poo on your tux.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I think you guys should fight!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    AFAIK profit margins are really slim on Xbox Live games, it looks like they might of spent a little more time/money than usual with the idea that the Tomb Raider name will help it sell more.

Gameplay trumps all for XBL games anyway.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    odium wrote: »
    Soooo...

Its a coop game... And yeah, looks like an arcade title, not a real Tomb Raider game... :(

Guess who gets to define what is and isn't a "real" Tomb Raider game.

I'll give you a hint, it's not you.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Well to me the old tomb raider was the one I enjoyed immensely.So mentally I made a decision not to try and compare the old and new ones 'too' much and try and play the new stuff for what it is.
    If I really need that real tombraider fix I play the old skool ones as the new ones are a different sort of game.
    I always liked the quirky tr graphics and liked the hand painted style CD went with.
    i think the main difference with the old and new is that the puzzles are too easy and the game is not as immersive, but apart for that there were some good moments.
    Anniversary seems to be the best of the modern ones, Underworld was a bit bland I thought.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Talking about the previous TR games got me to thinking about the original. That game fucking rocked! It was one of the first games to be true 3D, just a few moths after Quake1. I remember dropping a stupid amount of cash to get a Rendition Verite card, so I could see it all with hardware acceleration. Totally awesome, and probably the first example of the third-person action genre. The franchise might have gotten stale and repetitive, but damn, I had good times with the original!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Aww.. I will still probably play it because this looks pretty fun. But when they first showed those "leaked" screens of a possible revamp of Lara in the orange and white shirt (first page) I got really really excited. Because thats what I think she needs. She still looks too much like she did from the first game..in my opinion. Too big of boobs and too short of shorts. I liked how that concept toned her down and made her look more like a real person than a sex object. I mean look at Elena Fisher and Chloe Frazer from the Uncharted games. The same level of badassery, but not overally sexualized.
    custom_1255520611037_elena-01.jpg
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    I'll just chip in here and say that I WAS a huge Tomb Raider fan up until the point where my wallet got raped by the "Angel of Darkness". Never really got back into the series despite Crystal Dynamics efforts.

Uncharted has clearly overtaken Tomb Raider and I feel that this new arcade title has just diluted the franchise even more. Basically, they need to make a Tombraider that is better than or at least an equal to Uncharted. Not an easy task.

One more thing. The Lara Croft character design hasn't aged particularly well IMO. You could kind of compare herto Duke Nukem. Yeah, they were good back in the day but gamers tastes seem to have matured and moved on. Nathan drake would work in pretty much whatever clothes you put him in because his character comes from his actual personality not his visual design. Lara seems to tied to the vest top and khaki shorts. She was always completely devoid of any personality what so ever.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    What do you guys think about Drakes Fortune in comparison to Tomb Raider? I love Drakes, but it just feels like Tomb Raider with great NIS's.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    adam wrote: »
    What do you guys think about Drakes Fortune in comparison to Tomb Raider? I love Drakes, but it just feels like Tomb Raider with great NIS's.

They're both trying too hard to be Indiana Jones :D

I'd like to see them go back to the tomb raiding, more focus on exploration, puzzle solving and platforming. Lara shouldn't be slaughtering hundreds of guys in the course of one game either, give her a tranq gun to deal with animals and humans, but push the player towards a stealthy approach instead of guns blazing. Can still kill bad guys, but you'd need a way to punish the player for it, maybe she's a little slower in the following mission or her aim isn't as steady when aiming at them as a way to show a physical effect of the anguish of killing a living being.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    drake is actually less skilled, than Lara croft.
    you can see in tomb raider lara croft potrayed as perfect women, with precise acrobatic skills.
    but compared to uncharted, tomb raider game i knew has unforgiving environment, that require precise acrobatic move.
    while drakes fortune, mostly feel scripted. ( and i want it that way )

so there are two different kind of indiana jone-ish adventure game id enjoy
    one with oldschool tomb raider style ( non scripted and more environmental /puzzle challenge, less shooting)
    the other one is uncharted ( scripted, fun to watch , and more shooting )
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    man.....i had such a good idea for the next tomb raider game a while ago. think about this:

create a tomb raider game using an engine like 'mirrors edge'. COME ON!!!! it would be amazing! well.....i mean.....as long as they made it amazing. haha. but shimmying along ledges and stuff in that engine......and navigating terrain. dude....that would be great. poor laura.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    but you wouldn't be able to see her feet. :poly121:
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    ^ HAHAHAHA you just click me! mirror edge is feel more tomb raider than uncharted !

btw im ok with that downloadable game, graphically look very good , maybe lara need to gain her fame for next canon series
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    That looks pretty sweet actually. Not the Tomb Raider we know, but hey.. I'm all for changing things up. You cant have such a serious attachment to a character who is defined entirely by hot pants and two plump geospheres. I'm all for any kind of attempt at updating a franchise that has been more-or-less stale for the past decade.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Asherr wrote: »
    but you wouldn't be able to see her feet. :poly121:

trespasser03.png
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    EXACTLY jackblade....i mean....you KNOW that they would have players be able to look at her cleavage. even tho i think that would be dumb. but they WOULD...i mean some people have become accustomed to tomb raider=boobs. BUT.....besides that, the POV for platforming and exploration would be choice if the series went first person. it's the EXACT change tomb raider needs.

and by the way....i have no idea what this means "HAHAHAHA you just click me! mirror edge is feel more tomb raider than uncharted !"

but...maybe that's cause i'm drunk.

and those boobs are HAIRY .......UGH!!!!!
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    adam wrote: »
    I have never played Drakes Fortune(not a ps3 owner) But from the watching gameplay videos it seems way more action oriented.

I like Tomb Raider because I find figuring out the level puzzles relaxing or frustrating(in a good way cause I'm thinking).

I remember it took me like 2-3 hours to get a door open for one of the Underworld Thailand levels. And It felt like such a great accomplishment, with a nice camerae reveal as the door opened and some added music. Then it led to another level with harder puzzles.

I especially like Tomb Raider Anniversary and Underworld I thought the level design was great, it wasn't so much about running and gunning.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    well here are the 1st screens......

http://kotaku.com/5486974/first-lara-croft-and-the-guardian-of-light-screens-details/gallery/

looking like a 2.5d shooter of sorts. really looks like a downloadable title, guess they are not aiming for the uncharted fans :P
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    well here are the 1st screens......

http://kotaku.com/5486974/first-lara-croft-and-the-guardian-of-light-screens-details/gallery/

looking like a 2.5d shooter of sorts. really looks like a downloadable title, guess they are not aiming for the uncharted fans :P

Wow...Isometric-scroller...this makes me sad
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    if it ends up half as good as Shadow Complex i'll be all over it.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So if the new game is going with what appears to be Chronicles era Lara, what's that other concept art for?
    and those boobs are HAIRY .......UGH!!!!!
    That kind of thing was acceptable back in 1998. It was all free love and unshaven breasts.

If they did decide to go first person with Lara, I'd like to see the UI tattooed on her chest as they did with Trespasser. Actually, screw Tomb Raider, I just want a modern version of Trespasser.
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, I am so tired of Lara Croft.

Well, I'm actually kind of curious about what this new take on it will be. In my opinion, this is exactly what the series needs- a big time reboot. Tomb Raider has become so dated, I'm interested to see a fresh take on it.

The guys at Crystal are talented dudes! With how high the level of competition is in our industry, they'd honestly be out of jobs if they didn't excel in their craft.

On titles like this, where there's such a heavily recognizable identity en-grained into the characters which fans have come to identify with over the years, there are many many many people with their fingers in the pie during the creation process. What I'm getting at is that hardly any of the aesthetic-look-and-feel calls are actually made by the character artists themselves.

In my opinion, the character models for the game show a high level of technical competency.

btw, I made her 'marketing assets' 15% bigger than the 360 version.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Jon Rush wrote: »
    fingers in the pie

hehe
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I have to admit, the first and second tomb raider games were great fun. The movies were silly but also great fun.

And it kinda died right there.

Back in '96 Tomb Raider worked well as an adventure puzzler with Toby Gard's great designs, using giant boobs to sell a game that had no peer. On a console that changed the industry.

It was the right thing at the right time, we all knew that the IP would be consigned to the bargain bins after that, like any franchise.

Any copy-cat game that came after it was a: better, and b: damaging to the brand as a whole.

No manner of "reboot" can save this because there's nothing to reboot. Take away Lara Croft, and all you have is a 3d action puzzler, which is hardly original. One might say Lara Croft was taken away years ago.

Tomb Raider is dead. Long live Tomb Raider.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    No one else does exploratory platforming like Tomb Raider does. As long as they dont balls it up greatly, and keep to the core elements of what Tomb Raider is, then it could go on for a long time(unless someone does it better, which is unlikely knowing the general lack of creativity or ingenuity in the industry).