Home General Discussion

Portal Update

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg wrote: »
    The other robot in the ascii art looks like it could be more parts of GLaDOS made into a second robot
    So you're saying what we fought in Portal was actually two robots who where... joined?
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    up until now I felt very suspicious about a Portal sequel. Just seeing those GI covers make me super excited.

because of the length of time its taking to produce each episode, i really hope E3 will be the bees knees.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    awesome!

did anyone notice some letters being underlined here: http://store.steampowered.com/news/3559/ ?
    spelled after each other it spells "drattmannh0ee"... which if converted to numbers (using the position of letters on cellphones would spell out "3728862664 0 33" (added space before and after the zero). So if anybody is willing to call that number? :P. (i'm poor and not american).

hehe i wonder if this is actually something or if I am now just losing my mind.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Calling that number didn't do anything, I don't think it exists :) And yes I tried it without the 0 33
  • MattQ86
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Rad! If those covers are any indication of what is to come with the overall direction of the game, it has me really amped!
    Thanks for the link, MattQ86.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Vig wrote: »
    So you're saying what we fought in Portal was actually two robots who where... joined?

No, but the other robot looks like the other orbs of GLaDOS are the body
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Keg wrote: »
    No, but the other robot looks like the other orbs of GLaDOS are the body
    I have a hard time thinking that the new male robot is somehow made up of the bits that fell off've GLADos.

I think they were just made by the same "manufacturer", hence the same style. How would the male robot have been assembled that quickly, if it's pulling you back towards the destroed Aperture building, in the new finale of the first Portal game?

I'm also not sure I want a proper Portal/HL2 crossover, either. HalfLife is a somewhat serious game in tone and Portal is full of that awesomely sardonic, dry humour. I'm not sure how they'll make a game featuring both "worlds" without comprimising one of them, or possibly both.
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome news. It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    The new BBS stuff suggests coop gameplay, Portal coop would be so friggin awesome!
    Can't wait!

glynnsmith, yeah I agree that I'm wary of the hl2/portal mix. But Portal isn't only a funny game, it also has this kind of eerie mysterious dark vibe to it, that I really like, and that does tie in well with the HL2 universe.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    I have a hard time thinking that the new male robot is somehow made up of the bits that fell off've GLADos.

I think they were just made by the same "manufacturer", hence the same style. How would the male robot have been assembled that quickly, if it's pulling you back towards the destroed Aperture building, in the new finale of the first Portal game?

I'm also not sure I want a proper Portal/HL2 crossover, either. HalfLife is a somewhat serious game in tone and Portal is full of that awesomely sardonic, dry humour. I'm not sure how they'll make a game featuring both "worlds" without comprimising one of them, or possibly both.

Possible Portal 2 Spoilers Ahoy!

As far as crossing (dark) humor and serious in sci-fi worlds, might I direct you to Warhammer 40k's bottomless TVtropes entry?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Its all in todays game informer. Even clear versions of the ascii pictures hehe. Kinda ruins the fun tho!!
  • TSM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TSM
    adamlewis wrote: »
    Awesome news. It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

I love you.
  • Gardini
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    I saw the cover and almost cried..but then I didnt. Portal 2 woot!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    ive never really like coop gaming on PC. (all i have is PC). Gaming is ME time. lol

but that portal prelude mod was amazing! :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Here we go again. There was a hint in the ARG that something interesting might happen during Gabe Newell's Pioneer Award ceremony at GDC. During his speech, the projector popped up with a standard BSOD which then changed to this:
    2nj045.jpg

For those who don't feel inclined to squint it says
    GLaDOS
    A fatal exception E2 has occurred at E4E2 : D7C5D5C4 in E4D 5E3(C9) *
    D3C5C5C5. The current application will be terminated.

* Press any key to flood the facility with deadly neurotoxins.
    * Press CTRL+ALT+DEL again to reinstate testing. You will lose any
    Non-vital personnel and their progress through the current test.
    Amusing in itself, but of course people got stuck right into that array of numbers looking for more clues. The result:
    The hex converted to decimal: 226 228 226 : 215 197 213 196 228 213 227 ( 201 ) + 211 197 197 197
    If it's ASCII it's extended ASCII. Could it be EBCDIC (common mainframe encoding)?
    Edit: It IS EBCDIC. It spells: S U S : P E N D ... U N T ( I ) L ... E E E (colon, dots for spacing, and parens added to roughly locate them in the source image.)
    Suspend Until EEE. Or E3 if you will.

Hats off to Valve for all this. And to the nerd collective for managing to piece it all together.