Replies

• s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like it, never thought it would get so personal...
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome a fake kidnapping as a publicity stunt. If this is whats going on then those guys are assholes.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    They knew all along..
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    It's gotta be either not enough money or not enough creative control. I would bet on not enough creative control.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Sounds like some awfully stupid and obvious media stunt. What developer would say "We just wanna make our games!" when people from their office were "kidnapped"?
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I'm with Doc Rob, word on the street was they were working on a new FPS MMO, could see some creative conflicts taking place. A big publisher wouldn't exactly be happy about too many shifts to one of their biggest cash cows, FPS/MMO's are notorious for failure.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    I'm with Doc Rob, word on the street was they were working on a new FPS MMO, could see some creative conflicts taking place. A big publisher wouldn't exactly be happy about too many shifts to one of their biggest cash cows, FPS/MMO's are notorious for failure.

Gonna disagree, planetside was a pretty big success until Sony screwed the pooch and did an expansion too early, talking to most fans of that game they loved it until the expansion.

Anyways, this is clearly a plublicity stunt the day before Battle Field Bad Company 2 is released which imo is a much better game.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I actually interned on Planetside not long ago. I agree when it was first released PS was hot sh*t. Of course SOE had a lot going for them at that time until they fell apart (to be fair, they're getting their act together lately).

PS was pretty unique because SOE had so much experience running an infrastructure required for an MMO with Everquest. The logistics required are what kills most FPS/MMO's. It's hard enough to get a slow paced RPG to work in MMO conditions, let alone a well made FPS. Planetside was by far the best go at it thus far, but i wouldn't call it a major hit. Servers still running to this day though :), means somethin'.
    /endofftopic
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    "We just wanna make our games!"
    Made me lose it. Such an awesome thing to say.
  • Irreal
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I lol'ed at "We just wanna make our games!".... Sort of reminds me of Dave Chappelle's stand-up talking about people sprinkling crack on themselves when they get shot.... as he says "Who does that?"
  • Joseph Silverman
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    ATVI was in there acquiring assets (hard-drives, copies of builds, blah blah) and had security there to ensure no employees were in the building when they did so.

Thats how this reads to me, anyway.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha at the Always Sunny video... classic.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    breaking news:
    infinity ward denied rights to "just make our games"
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    For Jesse's reply:

original.png
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    wow

*grabs popcorn*
  • KateC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KateC polycounter lvl 7
    Aw man. These poor guys. I hope something good can come of this, but it looks pretty sketchy.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Oh wow I thought this was just some stunt to get all the light off Battlefield 2 but if this is indeed true then it is a really shame for all the talented people over at IW.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14

340x.jpg

OMG hahaha!!

Strange situation though, seems kinda serious with these updates. I hope they can continue to make their games instead of all getting sent to the Gulag by Mr. Kotick...
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow... that's terrible if true

who's up for stormin' the Gulag with me?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    no indie gamedev competition pr stunt will save your reputation now bobby.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    So they make a SHIT TON of money for them, a few months later they come down and sack the head of the company... Why did blizzard join with them again?
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "insubordination" ? i wonder what went down. sounds like a redo of the MoH days?

http://kotaku.com/5483427/activision-cites-infinity-ward-insubordination

kotaku wrote:
    activison wrote:
    "The Company is concluding an internal human resources inquiry into breaches of contract and insubordination by two senior employees at Infinity Ward," Acitivsion states in a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. "This matter is expected to involve the departure of key personnel and litigation. At present, the Company does not expect this matter to have a material impact on the Company."
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i bet some people wanted to make something, and activision said no, and then they started making it anyways.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    well it's activision's studio to 100%, so it's their rules.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow this sounds more serious than I thought... I somehow think Bobby Kotick is behind this, probably a dispute over him wanting to suck every last penny from the CoD franchise or make it a pay to play every month game.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Imma second what CrazyButcher said, if Activision is the owner, they can do what they please.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    maybe infinityward didn't know enough fear and pessimism?
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh come on. There is no point in demonizing anyone, especially not before we have all the facts.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    It sucks... I mean, they screwed up with the IWNet thing and I won't lie, a part of me hates them for that... But Activision are seriously doing everything they can to be the biggest dick wads on the scene. It used to be EA at fault for everything but over the years, they really have improved a lot and I can honestly say I trust EA, a hell of a lot more than Activision. Activision seem to only care about one thing; its profits. While of course a company out to make money should care about that, you have to admit theres a way to do that so you dont shit on the people MAKING YOU those profits...

I'll be interested to see exactly whats gone down rather than all this second hand chat thats going on. If it is a case of "we want to do something new" "no you cant" "well fuck you" then that sucks... Because to be honest the gaming public knows by now that anything with IW on the front will not only be a decent product, but sell shit loads... Whats likely happened is Activision wanted another 17 COD games in the next year because they print money, and IW have said "Lets try something a little different" and thus, the same thing that happened with MOH all those years ago, is happening again.

Activision really need to drop the attitude they have displayed over the years.... Instead of forcing 27 shitty Guitar Hero titles in my face, work on some new IP already damn it... If EA can get the message, so can you... And thank you for that EA btw, because without you having the balls to try new stuff, Dead Space wouldn't have happened, one of my all time fave games.
  • Clockwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe they were told to make another WW2 game, haha.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium stole the words out of my mouth, both about MoH, and EAs change.

hopefully its something more legitimate than pure wants and money-making. 'insubordination' is a huge thing to file for for something as petty as 'these devs want to do something, lets not allow them to.' Or maybe that's not as petty as I think it to be in the business world of video games.
    clockwork wrote:
    Maybe they were told to make another WW2 game, haha
    Naw, then they'd probably quit of their own accord.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    KateC wrote: »
    Aw man. These poor guys. I hope something good can come of this, but it looks pretty sketchy.

Something tells me they will come out of this just fine. They did make a game that sold over 10mil copies, after all ;)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Something tells me they will come out of this just fine. They did make a game that sold over 10mil copies, after all ;)

Dibs on sending the first resume to Jason Wests new studio not tied to one developer.

Oh wait.. Probably many IW employees will quit to join his. NM.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    EA needs to call Jason West right away!
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Whatcha bet MW MMO.."It'll be a WOW Killer!"...and the terminated employees retorting with words like Moron, idiot.etc ..etc...but who knows
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know that magical time in the afternoon when you wake up in a fog, roll over and other side of the bed is warm and then you hear the toilet flush... and then the headache kicks in.

Yea parties over, time to go get yourself checked out at the free clinic.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It sucks, but Activision owns the studio, period. If they want IW to make 10 more WW2 games in a row, they have to.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, It's not their studio, you think they would have learned that the first time. "Screw you EA we're not making any more MoH games".

I suspect it went something like this:
    Kotick: So hows MW3 coming?
    IW: Yea about that we made you a lot of money and want to make something new.
    Kotick: (like a junkie looking for another fix) That's funny guys but seriously hows MW3, we almost done? >scratch< >twitch<
    IW: So we can't do what we want even though we made you insanely rich?
    Kotick: I don't see that in your contract. What the hell is that? The whimsical misadventures of qbert?!
    IW: Look you need us more than we need you!
    Kotick: (suddenly cold and piercing) Thanks for building me a franchise, it looks like your services are no longer required, you can head up to the roof and jump off.
    IW: ...
    Kotick: No... ok then. You're fired for insubordination.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    DKK wrote: »
    Wait, so all that shit kotick said at dice was just posturing?

He hasn't learned a god damn thing, I really want to see IW fall apart under him. Sucks for West but I have a sneaking suspicion he will land on his feet.

Wait, so you really believed it wasn't? Rofl.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    My incredibly uninformed guess: They had a team working on a demo pitch, i.e. 'vertical slice' for a new game unrelated to COD, to try and pitch to ATVI. This sort of thing is really common... though, it's ATVI's wallet, so it's risky. My guess is they found out, heads started rolling..

I'm probably wrong like usual, though.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Actually Vig, I read somewhere that IW was not even going to be developing MW3, that it might go to the guys who worked on COD3, and that IW were gonna work on a new IP, and that that was a call made by the higher ups.

Still, Kotick sucks. In this case the demonising is well earned.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually Vig, I read somewhere that IW was not even going to be developing MW3, that it might go to the guys who worked on COD3, and that IW were gonna work on a new IP, and that that was a call made by the higher ups.

Still, Kotick sucks. In this case the demonising is well earned.
    Ahh well, it probably was a bit shorter than I imagined.
    Vig wrote: »
    Kotick: (suddenly cold and piercing) Thanks for building me a franchise, it looks like your services are no longer required, you can head up to the roof and jump off.
    IW: ...
    Kotick: No... ok then. You're fired for insubordination.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry fellas had to change my post until news is made public.
  • glib
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Regardless of what went down or why, the IW guys don't have anyone to blame for getting into this situation. How many times have we seen studios sell their rights or giving control to a publisher, only for that publisher to later kick out the guys who made the studio worth buying in the first place? When EA started canceling Origin projects and essentially pushed a gaming legend like Richard Garriott out the door, the lesson should have been learned. Ten years later, it's damn near expected. You sell your shop like IW did, you're giving a guy like Bobby Kotick control of your future.

At any rate, I'll wait to hear the details before I decide who the douchbag in this story really is. Quietly forcing a resignation is one thing, but it sounds like the IW guys were fired and for cause. If that's the case, Activision has to have some legal basis for it - CCO/CTO types generally have contracts, and you can't fire them without some sort of reason.

*edit*

Just read elsewhere that West and Zampella were under contract with Activision through October of this year. That means they definitely had to have done something in violation of their contract to get canned. Not good. On the other hand, lots of places are saying that IW employees haven't seen a penny in royalty payments of the eleventy jillion dollars that Activision pulled in for MW2. Not sure if that's related, but obviously not good if IW employees are owed that and have been expecting to get paid.
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    Are you a bad enough dude to save the presidents (of IW) This is kinda crazy but why the media show? was it really required to do this so dramatically?