Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Resume Advice

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
So, I have been retooling my resume since I am out on the job hunt. My question is that although I was the "Lead Artist" at my last job it was a tiny art team and was still much more of an art role than a management role. So that plus my relatively small amount of industry experience still only puts me inline for a relatively junior Environment position i would think. I dont want to minimize my former role but at the same time I dont want to BS and act like I was managing some huge team at a big studio. Any advice and general resume tips are welcome.

http://shaunpatterson.emurse.com/

Replies

• cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    While you may feel at junior level, you probably had more responsibilities in your lead role even though it was a smaller company. Keep the resume honest about your titles, and you can list the number of people on your team. Employers will know the difference between you managing at a large AAA studio versus a small team.

It's no deal breaker, but your resume is three pages long. It seems it could easily be trimmed down. If it were a single page I would give it two thumbs up or possibly a check plus.
  • Canadian Ink
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden wrote: »
    While you may feel at junior level, you probably had more responsibilities in your lead role even though it was a smaller company. Keep the resume honest about your titles, and you can list the number of people on your team. Employers will know the difference between you managing at a large AAA studio versus a small team.

It's no deal breaker, but your resume is three pages long. It seems it could easily be trimmed down. If it were a single page I would give it two thumbs up or possibly a check plus.

Good points, I think i'll put the team size in there and also attempt to trim it down..Cheers!
  • Canadian Ink
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I have it down to 2 pages...I'm not sure what else I could chop without sacrificing content...I am going to try to however.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Hey was looking through your resume and found an error.

For Diploma in Multimedia design the years might be mixed up because it says Jan 2002 to Nov 2002 unless your a time traveler :P.
  • Canadian Ink
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey was looking through your resume and found an error.

For Diploma in Multimedia design the years might be mixed up because it says Jan 2002 to Nov 2002 unless your a time traveler :P.

No that's correct, it was an 11 month intensive course, started in Jan and finished in Nov of the same year.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey man, I know you are not really asking for it, but I have a crit on your portfolio that I think might help you a lot.

The two characters in your 3d section are really killing you, imo. And the guns in the unfinished state they are in don't help either. I think your buildings and vehicles look really nice though and I would hate to see potential employers overlook you based on a few weak areas. As a lot of people will tell you, "you are only as good as your worst piece".

I think since you already have a lot of pieces up in your 3d art section you could remove those 3 pieces all together(again the 2 characters and the guns). If you want to keep them up, I suggest you re-work the faces on the characters and finish up the guns. Currently the characters have crazy eyes and the lighting setup you painted just isn't working well. Check quake 3 characters for reference on how to paint lighting on faces. Basically the setup is strong shadows on the eyes, under the nose, under the mouth and under the chin, as if a strong omni is coming from above.

Anyways, good luck on the job hunt!
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    No that's correct, it was an 11 month intensive course, started in Jan and finished in Nov of the same year.

whoops my bad....had a brain fart and though November was before January lol :)
  • Canadian Ink
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, I know you are not really asking for it, but I have a crit on your portfolio that I think might help you a lot.

The two characters in your 3d section are really killing you, imo. And the guns in the unfinished state they are in don't help either. I think your buildings and vehicles look really nice though and I would hate to see potential employers overlook you based on a few weak areas. As a lot of people will tell you, "you are only as good as your worst piece".

I think since you already have a lot of pieces up in your 3d art section you could remove those 3 pieces all together(again the 2 characters and the guns). If you want to keep them up, I suggest you re-work the faces on the characters and finish up the guns. Currently the characters have crazy eyes and the lighting setup you painted just isn't working well. Check quake 3 characters for reference on how to paint lighting on faces. Basically the setup is strong shadows on the eyes, under the nose, under the mouth and under the chin, as if a strong omni is coming from above.

Anyways, good luck on the job hunt!

Ya I hear what your saying, I might take them out all together as I am obviouslt environment/prop/vehicle focused. The crappy thing is that all the studios (potential jobs) round these parts always want Artists that can at least do a little bit of everything...Maybe taking another couple passess at there textures could make them stronger pieces.