Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Highpoly environmental doodles

Replies

• bbob
    looking snazzy as usual mate, keep it up.. Can't wait to see where you take this..

Although, to make this even better, you could try to break some of the detailed bits, like the trims on that panel, its like the fine detailed bits lack the destruction that the big open surfaces get. It should not be overdone, obviously, but tiny cracks here and there could really help sell it, the florals and the trims are too perfect.

If consistency was restored with that, this would be absolutely flawless..
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    DarthNater:

My workflow is pretty simple really. For those small, ornamental details I'm mostly using basic polymodelling or splines with Bevel profile modifier.

I was slightly inspired by a piece I've seen on Silo forums a while ago, though I can't remember where it was now.

Those swirls were modelled from a box; getting those nice curves requires moving the vertices manually, but it's nothing too complex. Once I was done with the silhouette, I used Ring and Connect to get a loop going through the middle, used Chamfer to get a hard edge and then moved them on y axis to add some depth. Next I just copied that piece a couple of times, moved each to a different position and adjusted loops and vertices. Here are the wires, nothing complex as you can see:

43986352.jpg

bbob: Thanks mate :)

Good points!
    I would love to add some weathering here and there, but the problem is that at the moment I'm not sure yet what kind of materials I will include in the scene.

I'm quite torn between going for that steampunk-ish look (bronze, copper and some stone) or more traditional, Victorian look.

I want to make 2-3 more pieces, bake down the stuff I've made so far, get into UDK (keep in mind that I haven't used it before, I've been only using CryEngine so far) and get the basic layout done. Once I set up the layout, basic lighting and decide on the composition I will probably have a better idea of how this scene is going to look like. I will surely revisit those pieces then, to add some finer details.

I hope that makes some sense :p
  • LlamaJuice
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice work sir, the subtle details really sell the piece. I've been starting to experement with Zbrush lately, so a thread like this is awesomesauce.

Keep up the good work!
  • DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Ah nice mini tutorial :) now that I see how you created that piece, you may have been able to do something similar with the bend modifier. It seems pretty basic but when you learn how to properly use the limit effect and even stack a few bends, you can get some awesome pieces with just a few steps.
  • bbob
    Steampunk environment, eh? That sounds sexy, but I am having a hard time picturing it; are we talking dark, almost blackish stones/marble with copper ornaments? Could be really interesting.. Definitely keeping an eye on this, now.

If you choose to go down that road, which would be very refreshing and interesting, some wooden bits here and there, with a dark varnish could also be really awesome.

I am picturing some mad, 19th century scientist's study, furnished with chesterfield furniture, and eccentric piles of books.

I'd love to see a rough paintover for the style, it would make it easier to crit, too!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice: Thanks mate :)
    DarthNater: Good point, I tend to use Bend modifier a lot, since you can easily get the perfect curves. However, sometimes I just find it quicker to model the shapes manually, especially when I don't have a clear idea of how I want it to look like.

bbob: I'm absolutely terrible when it comes to traditional 2D-art (I don't even have a tablet :p) so I can't show you anything. I will hop into UDK now (and start learning it ;)), so I will try to show the layout, along with a rough paintover, in a couple of days. At the moment, I can only show you my mood boards and inspiration. Apologies to the original authors for not mentioning their names; I've got the images from various sources and had them on my drive for a while ;)

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/4361936/1/moodboards%20and%20inspiration?h=f8213a

Not sure if that makes anything less confusing; it's a mix of vastly different styles :P
  • DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Those are a good mix of images, but I think I see where your going with this :p
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater: I have only a general idea tbh and even so I am whether I will manage to put it all together anytime soon. Switching to UDK has been much more difficult than I expected.
    I didn't realize I got so used to CE2 :p

Hey guys

I found some time to work on this project and I have finally done the bakes (apart from the first model of course, I'm lazy like that :P).
    I've been learning UDK over the course of past few days. I'm constantly bumping into dozens of problems and can't get my models to look like they should. Nevertheless, I will try to block-out the scene soon whilst trying to solve those issues in the meantime.

Here are some real time shots from Xnormal.

1024x512, 258 tris

pillarlow.jpg

1024x512, 30 tris
    I'm considering turning those panels into geo, though this piece will be placed quite low and won't be seen from extreme angles.
    wallbaselow.jpg

1024x1024, flat plane - I will probably add a few edges, just to mak sure it doesn't look so flat.
    walllow.jpg

Once I figure out how to solve my problems in UDK I will try to make some more progress.
    Looking forward to your comments :)
  • PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    It seems that xNormal bakes maps that aren't compatible with some engines for some reason, if you're referring to shading issue problems. I've had to bake my maps with maya transfer maps instead, and with the exact same geometry there are no errors, but there are with xNormal generated maps. Not sure why, seems the algorithms are just different.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    It seems that xNormal bakes maps that aren't compatible with some engines for some reason, if you're referring to shading issue problems. I've had to bake my maps with maya transfer maps instead, and with the exact same geometry there are no errors, but there are with xNormal generated maps. Not sure why, seems the algorithms are just different.
    Works fine for me. Just have to flip Y
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Yea, i have never had any problems using xNormal generated maps in Unreal either...all you have to do is flip the green channel :)

If my memory server me correctly, i think the swizzle settings in xNormal should be X+ Y- Z+
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I am afraid that it's not a green channel related problem, but something to do with either mesh topology or smoothing groups.

I have flipped the green channel (and even tested flipping the red channel, just in case :p) but my normal maps still do not work properly. Strangely enough, they look perfectly fine in Xnormal and CryEngine2, yet in UDK there are some crazy smoothing errors.
    I will try to post an image of the problem in the Technical Discussion, since I couldn't find a solution to this porblem no matter how hard I tried.

Predator: Is there a Max alternative for transfer maps by any chance?
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    hmm
    yeah post a picture of it in tech talk if you get chance.
    How are you smoothing stuff for UE?
    I used to have a few problems with it. Even if it looks alright in max, you have to set smoothing groups by hand or quickly run a smooth modifier on it t make sure groups are assigned. Also worth double checking those tick boxes on .ase export, just to make sure.

Also are you making sure you set compression to Normal map when importing? Again, pretty obvious stuff, but it can kill normal maps if not (as these need to unpack to -1, 1 instead of the normal 0, 1 range.)

Anyway, that issue aside (as I'm sure it'll be resolved) this all looks quite nice. Artistically, I preferred your skirting board asset without the little corner greebles, as they seem a bit random to me.
    Edit: also, as you seem to be debating whether to add a bit more geo to this or not, I'm going to play devils advocate and say go ahead. A handful of tri's here or there is nothing (though I'm only talking about a few cuts to angle faces, nothing major!)

With your brick wall, if you modelled every brick, you may as well go and throw in some height differences in bricks so they aren't all perfectly flush with each other (just a tiny amount as I get the feeling these are quite clean) and maybe try shifting the face angle a slight amount on a brick or two to break up surface when it's viewed. a minor change in face angle really helps when baked down. It's also a little odd that the top and bottom rows of your large bricks are cut in half. A minor thing though, and obviously that could also happen in reality.
  • Legion
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion polycounter lvl 11
    Mmm. I like the models, tea. It reminds me of Roman architecture. A very imperial, almost holy sense to it. Definitely keep in those small little details that show a tiny bit of wear on the surface. Gives it a much more realistic feel to it.

Quick question: Would it be possible for a floor and archway design?

The models already paint a grand picture for me. Very well done, fine work.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    I'mSlightlyBored: I apologize for not replying earlier, but I have been really busy over the last 2 weeks. I have managed to solve the problems with my normal maps (or at least, the most major ones). Turns out it was the most basic issue; while my maps were set to a proper compression, they were not imported with the right settings. That was a silly mistake, which cost me hours of my time :P

I will probably remove some of the minor details the size of my scene is much bigger now than I have initially planned.

Regarding the brick wall; I will probably redo it - I think it does not fit the style of the environment I am going for. I will keep your suggestions in mind however and make the new one more uneven.

Legion: Once again, apologies for not replying earlier. Glad you liked the models. Roman architecture was among my inspirations and I'm glad I managed to capture some sense of it. I will be certainly making some floors and archways so keep looking forward to it :)

Let's get to the point.
    I've been busy over the past two weeks learning the basics of UDK, solving silly issues and blocking out the environment. Eventually, I have decided to modify my initial concept (a grand hallway lit by moonlight); as I could not get the lighting to look as I wanted to. Lightmass is much more complex than I have expected.

Two days ago, I have decided to scrap my previous work in UDK, with strong directional light. That should allow me to get as much out of the Lightmass as possible. Now that I have got to know the basics of using UDK I can focus on doing some proper work.

Anyway, here's my progress on blocking out the scene:

38296806.jpg

96573819.jpg

As you can see some of the areas are quite empty for now, but I will be adding more detail later on. I plan to add fountains, trees and benches into to courtyard.
    I will try to break the repetitiveness of the scene with some ornaments such as vases, pillars and statues. Some areas, (like roof and the walls) will get more love this weekend, at the moment they look very bland.

Ignore the skybox for now; I'm aware it does not suit the scene, but it is not my priority at the moment.

I am aware that it is quite early for any proper feedback, but I would love to hear some suggestions. I hope I have managed to achieve a right scale. Transition to Unreal's unit size has been quite painful for me.

Now that I have the most annoying issues fixed, I will be posting updates more often. I hope to finish the blockout by the end of this weekend; after that I will get back to making the highpolies. However, I have noticed that Lightmass can kill normal maps, so I won't be relying on them as much as I have originally planned.

I'm looking forward to your comments and critique guys :)
  • 4th-child
    Offline / Send Message
    4th-child polycounter lvl 7
    awesome stuff dude, nice detailing
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    4th-child: Thanks mate. Glad to hear you liked it :)

I've made some more progress on the block out. Again, I have changed my concept a little bit; but this time I'm really satisfied with direction this piece is going in. I've decided to ditch that mediterranean vibe and include more victorian/neo-gothic influences. Also, I felt that my last concept felt claustrophobic; this one should have more space.

highresscreenshot00008.jpg

There's still plenty of empty space that has to be filled; I will probably add a second row of windows. I will probably increase the height of those towers and I'm also thinking of giving the roof a little bit more love. Once I deal with the main building I will start working on the courtyard.

Sadly, I have less and less time to work on this project since university assignments keep getting in my way. Still, I hope to finish this project by the end of April, so wish me luck :p

I'm prepared to make even the most drastic changes so feel free to point any mistakes :)
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    awesome stuff mate :)
    No real crits yet...Cant wait to see more!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    andy: Cheers mate :) Will try to post more progress this weekend.

Btw; huge kudos to the artists who worked on Lara's manor in the latest Tomb Raider; it's been a huge inspiration for me. Though with time I will try to get rid of the similarities.