Home General Discussion

3D in games. Do you see faults when you play?

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I unwillingly do this all the time.

Having previously worked as a QA tester for almost 2 years I spent a lot of time looking specifically for bugs. (Things like texture seams, collision that didnt match geometry, z-fighting, etc..were considered art bugs)

I already liked looking at the art in games for inspiration, interesting techniques, and so on...which made me good at doing that.

However, now its an unconcious effort for me to find all kinds of imperfections that I just find absolutely interesting. Even though they arent seen by 99 percent of the people playing the game.

I was playing darksiders last night, and I'm pretty close to beating the game..and I had to go back to one of the first areas of the game...and I find an area where the artists didn't put collision over an area that I'm not supposed to go. I wasn't searching for it, I was just confused on where I'm supposed to go, and I flew into this area.

IMG_0234.jpg

I just think its really cool to see what the artists don't want you to see.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    The eyes of the females in Mass Effect 2 (and maybe one as well, I can't remember) bugged me. It seems that everyones left eye in the entire game has the UVs shifted slightly so they all look like they were a bit drunk when they put on their makeup.

Also Sheppards left iris is squished.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's just you rube, I didn't notice anything like that.

I saw someone post the same thing in the ME2 thread, maybe it's a recurring bug.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfuqKGkrak8[/ame]

sorry if this seems off topic ... but is this possible?????

*u guyz might want to limit Sheppard customization option a little bit more ... ^^
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Thats got nothing to do with the ingame setup dude, thats .ini tweaking. Its how people played as Wrex in the first game. Fun fun fun :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    MoP wrote: »
    Yeah, I end up noticing a fair bit of weirdness/dodginess when playing games. Strange use of polygon budgets, crappy textures in focal points, drastic differences in pixel density etc.

But when I'm playing for fun, I don't let it get in the way.

same here. First hour or so of gaming I'm really checking the art out. After that I just play the game as a gamer, stopping along the way when a really nice piece stands out.