Home General Discussion

Portfolio pieces: practical vs memorable

ngon master
Online / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
For portfolio pieces is it better to do something different and original, say a banana pistol. Or something more practical like an AKA 47. Of course assume they are the same quality.

And I think we need a stickied 'portfolio questions' thread.

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    my opinion is a mix. some to show, yea I can do the polished normal shit that's in every game, and the weird ass shit that makes for a good conversation starter.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm thinking the more piratical route is a much better decision when looking for a job initially... I mean I know a lot of "memorable" pieces that I've seen... Anubis being one of those... and obviously there is no way an employer would see that and say "we must hire him/her" (at least I don't think they would).

I think what a lot of artists are doing (more experienced ones seem to do this more effectively) is have their main portfolio website with kickass "practical" pieces... then they have their own blog, which can show weird ideas or what not that wouldn't necessarily "fit" on a professional portfolio website, but can show a more creative side of the artist.

If you are focusing on getting a nice professional portfolio together, I would personally say go with practical... but make it KICKASS! (easier said then done, I know...)
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    as long as it is high quality , ppl will pay attention.
    either original or practical

my stuff was unpractical and not even memorable
    http://arriev.deviantart.com/art/Dewi-10632782
    sure deviantart comment kinda cute ...
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    An employer will want to know that you can take direction and follow concepts or reference. Making a recognizable object demonstrates just this. You show that you can reproduce a real-world object. This is incredibly important for most games, so I'd recommend slanting the bulk of your portfolio in that direction. Showing a few creative pieces is fine, but they probably should be in the minority.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Regardless of what you do, just make sure you take your time on it and shoot for higher quality. I see a lot of newer 3d artists rush through pieces as if they're an employee at McDeez trying to get out orders as quickly as possible. Art is all subjective, so do whatever the hell you want but just make sure it's tasteful and within reason. I've seen some pretty messed up stuff before that is really off-putting (pregnant zombie with a dead fetus attached to the umbilical cord) so just keep that in mind. Your goal is to be great and get a job being great...not make potential employers cringe and make their eyes bleed.

And who says you cant make a memorable banana pistol anyway?!? ;)
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    go look at art machines portfolio again :).

http://www.art-machine.com/
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Worry more about being a badass, less about the kind of art you'll make as a badass.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    In my opinion is all about the quality. Of course content matters but I believe it's all about how you apply the concepts you know.

Have a hard surface model, an organic, zbrush work, low poly, etc. Show that you know how to use those techniques. It could be applied in a crate or a cool unique environment or prop. That is up to you.

It's always important to remember that you are showcasing your abilities. Focus on that.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Do you want to work on Modern Warfare 6 or Ratchet and Clank 8? Tailor your portfolio to the job you want.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Pseudo wrote: »
    Do you want to work on Modern Warfare 6 or Ratchet and Clank 8? Tailor your portfolio to the job you want.

^^ This

Also if you make something practical you have to make it stand out from the crowd. If you make something unique you have to ground it in foundation that shows you can do practical things but that you are also creative.

I mean how many AK47's have you seen done? How many do you see that make you go WOW? You have to show you can be creative with practical things if you go that route or it will look boring.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    There are employers that don't give much about it if you can accurately reproduce a given realworld object but lack the creativity and understanding to create something new and tastefull.

So I guess you should incorperate both types of portfolio pieces. The ratio between both types is more or less up to you as it shows what kind of direction you are focussing as an artist.
    If your protfolio only shows the generic dumpster a concrete barrier and an AK. Even if those are perfectly executed I would ask myself (as an employer) : "He has so much talent to bring those pieces to life, couldn't he come up with something more unique, less boring, more creative"

I think it's possible to do practical pieces for your portfolio without doing those assets you see flying arround so often. There are tons of things which will show your can do very acurate and realstic modeling / texturing.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Pseudo wrote: »

This is one route. Also, 4-5 pieces is often enough to get a job. I say, why not make both? Have a couple of "normal" but awesome assets, and then some more original stuff. I try to keep an even balance in my portfolio at all times, constantly updating different parts of it, trying to show that I can do a little bit of everything.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd go for a mix of both. I think it's important that you can show you can work different styles if needed. I've generally gotten pretty good responses from my folio as there's a mix of styles on there.

That said, I wouldn't do generic stuff if you can. Things can be practical and memorable. The more often someone looks at a piece of your work and goes "oh yeah, I remember that one", the better imo.

Also, don't do an AK47 unless you can make it the best goddamn AK47 you've ever seen. Avoid the stuff that everyone else does (concrete barriers, dumpsters, barrels, commonly seen guns or knives, etc...).
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    quality, attention to detail, neatness. If it's original or not doesn't matter that much. In most places originality is something for the concepters to worry about.
    Tailoring your folio to certain places also helps. No need to have lots of cute cartoony stuff if you want to work on FPS games. Yet if the quality is right you'll still beat sloppy artists that have FPS stuff in their folio. Nobody wants shoddy work :)
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    The "memorable" pieces aren't the pieces that are wacky and unique, they're the ones that are executed to a high degree of skill. Bonus points if you are working from a unique concept, but the quality of the execution makes it much more memorable. There are a lot of shitty "unique" models and I don't recall those anywhere near as much as I recall certain practical weapons that have been done before.

These are hardly polar opposites.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    what about doing what you like, but starting on it NOW!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    It doesn't matter. There's no secret portfolio strategy that's going to make life wonderful again. Just make shit that's mind-blowing. If that's a challenge still, you're not dedicated enough. Try selling off a kidney or something to pay the bills for a while so you can sit at your computer for 7 or 8 years learning all about it until you've attained the dark magic required to be awesome. Then shit rainbows all over your screen and you MIGHT get an interview. But short of that, fuck it. Industry's tapped. They're overrun with top talent already. Make something goofy, make something trite. Who gives a shit? Make whatever you actually want to make or it's a waste of time, because having fun with this crap is all there is. There's no payoff or light at the end of the tunnel unless you've transcended the realm of human possibility and reached temporary ultimate mastery of the polygon, in which case it still doesn't matter what kind of stuff you make, because it'll be good enough no matter what it is. So until that point, less thinky more arty.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It depends on the position you are looking for. If you want to do environment pieces as a technical artists, then practical modeling is what its all about. If you are intending to eventually shoot for an Art Lead position, you are going to want to prove that you can develop your own personal style. (more original, eye-catching work)

Practical is more important for getting your foot in the door, as it demonstrates that you won't require as much training. But for career advancement, you will need the more original pieces.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    what about doing what you like, but starting on it NOW!

The problem with that is always the earning of money. I would love to just do what I like, but doing that won't make me any cashola. (or even get me a job in games) The only real alternatives then are becoming a starving artist, or having a paying day job while I work on this stuff in my free time.

Being a responsible adult, I am currently going with the latter option. My hope is that one of my side projects will be able to make enough money to fund continued development. Time is money. If I can earn enough money, I can spend it on the time I would need to realize some of my zany ideas for game development.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    The "memorable" pieces aren't the pieces that are wacky and unique, they're the ones that are executed to a high degree of skill.

totally agree here. I think its rare to see new up and coming artists producing what were all calling "memorable" pieces. I think it takes a long ways to get to the point where you achieve such a product. Until then, you just gotta art it up.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    The problem with that is always the earning of money.

Get a job, so you don't starve to death.

Become a kickass artist like pior.

follow piors' advice.

profit.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Two words: penis tank, in no particular order.

Edit: Seriously, I was thinking about this this morning. It's really up to you how you start your portfolio, whether it be with traditional assets or more "creative" ones, whatever that may be. Pick the one you most enjoy, but push yourself over time in the other direction. If you choose original stuff you'll naturally gravitate to what's "doable" and what works. You'll also pick up unique tricks and techniques no one else knows because you're just doing crazy stuff on your own that others may not have thought of, unique projects bring unique challenges and skillsets. On the downside, a lot of your projects will be failures and you may spend lots of time working on stuff that's of no benifit in any respect. It's a trade off. Working on more traditional stuff is the safer bet, you'll learn what you need to know in the process but you'll have a much harder time standing out. You don't want a portfolio with only crates, barrels, tanks, guns, fountains, etc, etc. They've been done to death and even very good versions of these assets wont help you stand out as much as you'd like them to. Don't get in the habit of doing only what's been done before, once you learn the basics of doing traditional objects you need to really start pushing yourself to do stuff that hasn't been done before, the stuff that can really sets you apart from others. But then again there are plenty of companies who just want crates and barrels in their level, just expect lots of competition for those jobs.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    I think someone without much experience should start off making practical things from real world images. This way you can practice making textures that are realistic and you have a lot of information in your reference to go by. Although this doesn't mean you have to do something boring, there are plenty of visually interesting things out there that exist in real life.

Often times concept art is not specific or detailed enough for an inexperienced artist. After you create enough practical stuff you will probably be better equipped to fill in the blanks that a concept art might leave you with.

Now I say this because this is what is best to have in your portfolio, not to say that you shouldn't be inspired to make your own creations for fun. If one happens to turn out cool then great, but if your going to be spending time on your portfolio, in order to get a job, you probably shouldn't be creating your own concepts.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    To be fair, I think creating something realistic can be very useful now and then. What often happens when people focus solely on making their own gun designs, is that they can think of a trigger, a barrel, and that's it, sort of. Real objects have unique and interesting details.
    For example, I made a German machine gun half a year ago. It has a lot of interesting elements that I never would have thought of myself; a cleaning kit, lubrication, a disc to mask the star-shaped flash (so as not to look any different from rifles to snipers), a range table, and so forth. On top of that, it made me think about how it was assembled and disassembled.

You know, just as you do life drawing to eventually create good characters, study real objects and environments if you want to do those.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    ZacD wrote: »
    And I think we need a stickied 'portfolio questions' thread.

I hope you're ok with me asking a question here.

My question....

When using other people's concepts how important is it to stay true to the concept?

Is it ok for me to change things up on my model based on the concept? Or do employers like you staying true to the concept...especially since it isn't yours?

It's not big changes to where it's not recognizable...just for example...the barrel of a tank, the concept is too blocky, I thought it would look better with some more curves.

I just don't know if it's better to show that I can stay true to other people's concepts or show that I can be creative and make changes to make it (hopefully) better?
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    In my opinion is not that bad modify a concept, the real question is, what the purpose is. If you want to show how faithfully can reproduce a concept, of course you just need to stick with it even if it looks ugly to you. In that case I'd state "Model BASED ON Mr.Someguy's concept". Otherwise if you get some ideas and discard others to any extent to make it look better, simply state "model INSPIRED BY Mr.Someguy's concept". No one could blame you if it's not exactly the same.