Home General Discussion

MS gets ready to drop Win7 Ani-piracy bomb

Microsoft will introduce an update to Windows 7 in the coming days that will allow it to ensure users are running genuine copies of the operating system and have not used any activation exploits, or hacks, to defeat the company's validation process.
http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=222900212

I guess they read things like this and wonder where all the sales are?
http://kotaku.com/5468394/windows-7-overtakes-vista-for-hardcore-pc-users

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm still running the RC, I'll probably buy it once it expires.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    This is one of those rare times that I really feel MS should be rewarded for their efforts and people shouldn't pirate. I know many thing that people should never pirate, but I've been one of those people who feels pirating pays off in the end, because people get to try your product. This time, MS openly made Win7 extremely accessible for 'beta' installing, and left those betas good until way after the product release. I think anyone that still is using their beta, should break down and buy the OS. There are no excuses for pirating it this time.
    Hell, MS hasn't even forced you to need the OS to support other shit, like they've done in the past.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, while it would be lovely if everyone could freeload everything forever, it's just not really feasible...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    ZacD how the hell do you have 2,000 replies in 6 months. Seriously, slow the F down.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I'm actually very impressed with Windows 7. It's leaps and bounds better than Vista and set up was a snap (everything from network sharing to printers, all that junk). Anyway, the damn pirates will find their way around this (I know it says its voluntary, but it'll creep it's way in). Why can't people just reward companies for their hard work :( They should make every pirate program, then they will stop HA
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    adam wrote: »
    ZacD how the hell do you have 2,000 replies in 6 months. Seriously, slow the F down.
    I don't sleep, its not like I spam :P
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    I don't sleep, its not like I spam :P

He's right. He was up until 5am posting, then took a break until 1pm. 20 posts total today.

THE INTERNET KNOWS YOU HAVE NO LIFE!!!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You, sir, are a creeper. I blame the unicorn game.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    he's really skynet, trying to comprehend the crazyness that is polycount,the last bastion of humanity.....

i'm sorry belias...i can't let you dooo thattttttttt
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    So basically anyone pirating it would simply turn off automatic update and be free and clear? Sounds like another plan to bust clueless grannies while competent users just shrug it off.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Pirating an operating system is asinine. The only time you are really "sticking it to the man" is when the man is charging ridiculous prices for a product they have a monopoly on. Although it could be argued that Microsoft has a monopoly, it isn't a monopoly on operating systems. It is a monopoly on THEIR operating system.

If you really don't want to pay for Windows, then don't USE Windows. There are numerous attractive alternatives these days that can be had for free. Granted, most of those alternatives won't play a fraction of the games that Windows does. But pirating software isn't making a stand. Not using Windows at all is the only way to encourage Microsoft to become more competitive with their pricing and features.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    dfacto wrote: »
    So basically anyone pirating it would simply turn off automatic update and be free and clear? Sounds like another plan to bust clueless grannies while competent users just shrug it off.

Are you implying that clueless grannies install pre-release RCs of operating systems? Or that they buy dodgy PCs from people who install illegal copies of operating systems?

At which point, the clueless granny goes to the person they bought their PC off and demands they fix their shit.

Additionally, while turning off automatic updates may stop the "genuine Windows" check, it'll also make you less able to patch your OS for actual security fixes, and other upgrades you may want (eg. WMP 10 required the genuine Windows check so you couldn't install it without verifying your OS).
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    It's a joke, referencing all of those RIAA lawsuits where the defendants plead innocence, including a few from grannies.

But the point stands.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    MoP wrote: »
    Are you implying that clueless grannies install pre-release RCs of operating systems? Or that they buy dodgy PCs from people who install illegal copies of operating systems?

At which point, the clueless granny goes to the person they bought their PC off and demands they fix their shit.

Additionally, while turning off automatic updates may stop the "genuine Windows" check, it'll also make you less able to patch your OS for actual security fixes, and other upgrades you may want (eg. WMP 10 required the genuine Windows check so you couldn't install it without verifying your OS).

wellll.. you could still get around that WMP 10 verification. You also only needed to set Windows update to manual download, and not choose the Windows verification downloads.

I neither confirm nor deny my innocence with the above. I can say I have a full Windows 7 Ultimate box retail here that I got for the M$ discount from a friend. Waiting patiently until April or so for a new machine build. I also just bought a OEM of 64bit Win7 to upgrade my Moms laptop (surprisingly it was a few dollars cheaper than the upgrade).

Im sure plenty of grandkids set up PCs for their grannies, and are too poor to buy an OS or their hand me down hardware they used to create grandmas email box. That, or trying to install Linux for grandma, and she asks why she cant open the word documents, or why she has to use a console to access things once in awhile.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Pirating an operating system is asinine. The only time you are really "sticking it to the man" is when the man is charging ridiculous prices for a product they have a monopoly on.

So Adobe and Autodesk?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    "If non-authentic software is detected, the update will prompt users to take action (i.e., pay Microsoft) and any background wallpaper in use will be switched to a plain desktop as an additional reminder that action is necessary."

I find that quite amusing, since when is wallpaper considered an important component of an operating system? Disabling internet connectivity or windows installer might be a little more shocking!

What I would like to see from microsoft is a new range of operating systems designed for professionals, running only the programs we require.
    A rough example for artists;

autodesk suite||adobe suite||steinberg suite||top 3 game engines

The reason I say this is because it took me half an hour to install the o/s then 4 hours to reconfigure it for performance. These o/s are designed for the casual userbase and I feel it is high time to release a much more reliable, faster and completely streamlined o/s so we can harness the true potential of the fantastic systems some of us are running today.

All in all my opinion is that hardware technology is way ahead of software technology in terms of efficient useage, maybe there is a political reason for this?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The software is more the problem, not the OS.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    GCMP wrote: »

What I would like to see from microsoft is a new range of operating systems designed for professionals, running only the programs we require.
    A rough example for artists;

autodesk suite||adobe suite||steinberg suite||top 3 game engines

you win "worst idea so far of 2010"
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say Microsoft has their shit together and has some sort of Master Plan(tm). It would be kind of silly to warn everyone first, since I'm sure most would come to that conclusion.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Not getting updates is a stupid idea anyway.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    not sure where the problem is, because supposedly installing this genuine advantage stuff on win 7 will be optional, just like it is currently on XP. However you want to do "custom" updates and manually uncheck this "patch", because otherwise it will be installed by default.
    So best set windows 7 to notify you of updates but don't install the automatically.Then you can choose what you want to have installed
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    They should wait to do it right before a major SP.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say Microsoft has their shit together and has some sort of Master Plan(tm). It would be kind of silly to warn everyone first, since I'm sure most would come to that conclusion.
    I think you're right, I think this is along the lines of the IRS offering amnesty to tax cheats.
    "You have 3 mo to turn yourself in and we won't be as harsh as we can. Or you can easily use that time to move your money around, dig in and hope we don't find you. It's you're call, but we're only going to be nice for so long."

It's partly their fault for letting the RC go on as long as it has, which is probably the reason why they're starting off so light, I suspect that a few weeks down the road it will be a little tougher and not so annoying.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Windows 7 has known stellar sales so far, I doubt they're too concerned. If anything, they probably see their beta-program as having been a great succes, as it has set in motion a highly positive and free word-of-mouth campaign.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    its gonna get cracked no matter what...

the best versions of windows so far have been the performance editions, which r a hack themselves (or so i heard). when ms delivers a pure os and keep the bullshit to themselves i'd pay for it...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    as soon as:

3dsmax
    maya
    zbrush
    photoshop
    ableton live
    UDK
    gaming (to a lesser extent)

become supported fully on Linux, i'll be leaving windows behind forever.

that said, it's a voluntary update, and i'm sure the pirate community couldn't care less.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah...the important line is 'Installation is voluntary'...I am sure every Pirate will install it...
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If Microsoft waits until before a major service pack, it wont really leave gamers/pirates an option. They'll either have to crack it, buy it, or keep running an inferior product. I'm sure a crack will be developed, though.

@shotgun performance editions off pirate sites a stripped down operating systems, so of course its "hacked" to a certain extent. Some of them are pretty drastic, I once used one that had no default photo viewer, calculator, ms paint, or basically anything, all it had with it was firefox (pre installed instead of IE). There's also registry tweaks (like use more ram with programs). But more often then not, there are errors and issues because of all the cuts. If you're having issues connecting to the web, well that program that helps you with that was cut too. and the performance boost was hardly noticeable. Maybe a bit snappier then a 3 year old install of XP full of HP software, but if games I doubt if it increases your FPS by more than 2-4.
  • onnod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sad to see people in this thread agree with pirates.

Would you have them pirate your models? Your textures? Your games?

Would you like to see your life's work leaked to the net as an unfinished beta?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I think the reason for not installing the MS crap is that even if you have a legit copy it sometimes goes off "MWHAHAHAHA WE CAUGHT A PIRATE!!!". This dumb "upgrade" quite often ruined the day in our studio, which was full of perfectly legit windows XP copies that came with our Dell and HP workstations.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    People can use my models all they want, as long as they don't make money from it.
    Most pirates don't make money. USUALLY.
    So feel free to pirate, because it doesn't directly affect anyone. Most people who download a software wouldn't have bought it anyway. It spreads the software or OS around and makes people like it.
    Beyond that, my Vista won't update because it is missing a .dll, even though it is entirely legit.
    It annoys me, and because of it my computer is supah-slow and vulnerable. Oh well, I am getting a new one next year anyway.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    @joopson, i recomend, since your copy of win is legit, to "pirate" the specific dll, to make your computer updatable again
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    i think we need to look at the wider picture here....
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8To-6VIJZRE[/ame]

in all seriousness i think its a good thing and people who are like omg microsoft out there to mooch all the money. then just dont buy microsoft
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Man that guy needs some stronger antipersperant.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    onnod wrote: »
    Sad to see people in this thread agree with pirates.

Would you have them pirate your models? Your textures? Your games?

Would you like to see your life's work leaked to the net as an unfinished beta?

I wouldn't mind so terrible. Irking yes and I would always desire to know their motive. If they said THEY made it then, oh, well then there's gonna be trouble.

As for the beta thing, that could be worse or not depending on what it is and what could be done with it.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    If Microsoft waits until before a major service pack, it wont really leave gamers/pirates an option. They'll either have to crack it, buy it, or keep running an inferior product. I'm sure a crack will be developed, though.

I doubt it will be tied to a service pack. MS tried tying the validation stuff to windows updates a few years ago, but it turned out to be a bad idea. It just meant that everyone with a pirated copy (either from a shady vendor, or from the user's own actions) ended being a host for all kinds of malware that then puts additional strain on legit machines and hurts the value of their windows brand.

This is an optional update, and it also allows you to uninstall it in case you accidentally update. This is aimed squarely at large-scale shady retailers that are selling pirated copies of the OS. These are the people costing MS the real money, as well as diminishing the power of their brand (who knows what was done to crack the OS, maybe it impacts compatibility or stabiltiy which is then attribute to windows 7 in general if the user doesn't know). I think MS has realized that the home pirates aren't worth the expenditure.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    wow, with the chances of trojans hiding in pirated software I'm surprised people would risk it with pirating their OS, it's not like it's that expensive anyway.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    yup, my legit copy of windows 7 was less then a ps3 game so you all have some splainin' to do.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not that way for most now though. I'm assuming you did the pre-order, like myself. It's over $100 for just an upgrade now.

Again, this is one of the OS versions you should actually buy. I think MS is getting a track record of having a good OS every other time. Windows 98 good; Windows ME horrible; Windows XP good; Windows Vista poor; Windows 7 stable and polished.

Edit: Oh, my only bitch about Win 7: the install process for upgrades. I had to reformat my system because it didn't want to upgrade Vista Ultimate (I thought only XP was suppose to require reformatting). Not to mention, they did away with the "insert full version" when trying to install from an upgrade. So now, you HAVE to install the previous OS before you can upgrade to Win7.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Yes, for the first time of my life, I'm buying a Windows Legal copy! :) Win7 is the shit.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    Why on earth i cant upgrade from xp x64 to win7 for any normal price?

All i see is vista->win7 updates.

I'm not going to pay full price tag for windows again in one years time.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| wrote: »
    Why on earth i cant upgrade from xp x64 to win7 for any normal price?

All i see is vista->win7 updates.

I'm not going to pay full price tag for windows again in one years time.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-considerations.aspx

I don't think they sell different versions for upgrading.
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    notman wrote: »
    Edit: Oh, my only bitch about Win 7: the install process for upgrades. I had to reformat my system because it didn't want to upgrade Vista Ultimate (I thought only XP was suppose to require reformatting). Not to mention, they did away with the "insert full version" when trying to install from an upgrade. So now, you HAVE to install the previous OS before you can upgrade to Win7.

You can do a clean install with the upgrade media; there are a couple workarounds (including some officially sanctioned by Microsoft, so it's a legit tactic). Check out the methods here:

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I saw some work arounds after I had done my install. I guess it's good info for others who have yet to upgrade though ;)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I have 12 days to buy win7 or reinstall vista ultimate :(
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    These "performance editions" interest me...never heard of them before. Is there software out there that can tweak my current install of vista into something similar?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Don't use performance editions. You can do some registry tweaks though, just google "vista performance registry tweaks"
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Once the RC editions of Win7 expire, they'll see even more of an uptake. I think it's a solid upgrade on Vista, and was worth putting money down for. Feels good to have a legit OS on the PC too and not have to worry about cracking it.

There were some great deals when Win7 came out, I picked up win7 pro for £30 and I know a lot of other people who did.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    I'm all for people pirating anything I might produce as long as, just like real pirates, I am then allowed to kill them with no legal consequences.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I'd gladly pay the full price of my RC 7100 Windows 7 copy...but the email I got said I need to do a clean install no matter what. ...this will just not do. Can't I just pay them the dang fee and keep my RC??