Home General Discussion

3D in games. Do you see faults when you play?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
Just a quick disclaimer. I know people make mistakes, I've done many myself in games that have been released and I don't really mind. Time, budgets, etc. All of that. This is not a bashing thread in any way. I'm just interested in seeing if more people notice graphical glitches related to production in their games.

Disclaimer out of the way.

When you play games. Do you look at the graphics and analyze it? I do it subconciously it seems and some of the times when I play games with my mates I can just end up staring at a floor or wall to look at a horribly stretched texture saying, "Guys, look at this. Wtf" and they're like "Eh? What? Ah. Meh". I guess it's a 3d artist thing :)

Other times I really sit there and wonder what the artist was thinking. One of those moment was in an fps where you equip an axe and there's a huge seam going down the wooden handle facing the players view. Gnrgh.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I end up noticing a fair bit of weirdness/dodginess when playing games. Strange use of polygon budgets, crappy textures in focal points, drastic differences in pixel density etc.

But when I'm playing for fun, I don't let it get in the way.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    depends what I'm working on. But at Funcom I did anaylize games' functionality and how they implemented certain features like avatar customization.

Otherwise I'm not actively searching for mistakes, but a few things really annoy me. Like some of the unintentional texture stretching in Stormwind (yeah I know, a lot is intentional)....but c'mon guys! you have all the cash in the world, just pay someone to fix some of these newb mistakes!!!

Also I was a bit surprised about the low quality of a few assets in Dragon Age. Maybe a tradeoff for performance? The characters had extensive texture mirroring going on and some textured were quite low res on the PC.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Kwramm, I actually added a bit about world of warcraft in my first post but deleted it. Wall of text and all that. I'm actually very surprised about the mistakes (and they aren't few) that can be found in wow since Blizzard = epic awesome gods of games.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A couple of times, I've spotted a few verts flying around due to bad skinning. But to be honest, it is not something that gets in the way of my enjoyment of the game, it just very temporarily breaks the illusion, and reminds me that those people working on the big titles arent Gods afterall and that I might actually have a chance at some point.. :D
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    If you closely examine every prop you'd find loads of things that dont look so great in most 3D Games. What is great is how the overall level design and lighting uses these props to make a awesome looking environment regardless.

It reminds me of those paintings when the artist paints very rough/crude details that look like a mess when examined closeup, but when you look at the overall piece it looks awesome :p

I see the faults but it doesn't ruin gameplay for me.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Mmm, plenty of times, but usually its small stuff, uv or weird/missing/overlapped geo. it doesn't really kill the game for me, it's just stuff that you notice.

Other times it van be things like an environment and why they did/didn't do something with it.

I guess its just inherent in doing this stuff yourself, being pro/amateur. I suspect muscicians pick up stuff like that in music they hear. :)
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i usually spot flawed animations and particle-fx first and they continue to annoy me throughout a game. dirty textures or lighting bugs - not so much. :)
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I've been doing it for years... Hate it. Can't stand it. I'll be playing a game and then bam, "What were they THINKING?".

Bioshock 2 is the most resent. They use a lot of pre made map objects, such as dirt piles of rubble etc, that are made to fit a flat plane, but in some cases these are turned 45 degrees and placed on a 90 degree bend, making it obvious that its just a decal because you can see under it...

Texture stretching, really obvious mirroring (the girls at gatherers garden, BAD mirror), things like that, they distract me more than they would my friends, because sadly I look at the art more than I play the damn game... Its a curse, really is... In fact many a time I've done the opposite and actually stopped playing just to take a few screenshots for my inspiration folder... and then not gone back to the game because I borke the imersion... WTF?!

Its got to the point now where I do it on pre-release shit, and THAT bothers me, because everybody moans, and they are right... its pre release/alpha, shits gotta be worked on, right? But I just end up thinking "Then why show it off in the first place if you know its terrible...?". Case in point, the terrain stretching/blandness in Halo Reach, or Alan Wakes knees having a total of 2 polygons. I swear, if Alan Wakes polycount isn't fixed by release I'll boycot it... And then buy it anyway, ala MW2...
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, I definitely notice more graphical problems in games than my friends would, but to be fair, I also get killed more often than them while staring at an impressive material or model.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    the OVERALL > individual perfectual props.

so there's a seam and alot of stretching in wow, but everything looks fantastic together.

inconsistency, now thats a moodkiller.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I notice things from time to time but it never really bothered me much and it bothers me alot less after being in game development.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Depends...I saw some floating rocks and bushes in most Bethesda Titles...sometimes I see some texture stretching or holes in the geometry, but I don't let that lessen my fun...gameplay issues/hickups are much harder to ignore...
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, sometimes I wish I wasn't like this, it ruined Dragon Age for me...it bothered me too much. Even though its a good game in all other areas, I just lost interest because the art was just..bad...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    That horrific seam on the butt of the big machine gun in MW2...dunno why they put it there instead of the opposite+bottom side... it's really apparent normally, but then it has a texture variation...and it's even worse on that one. Disgraceful :P
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HOTD Overkill has some of the most Sh*tty skinning EVER in a game- and then they use angles in cut scenes that seem designed to show it off. My faves are the exploding armpit o' doom early in the game when a character lifts his arm and takes half his torso with it, and the bit where a character "reclines" with his feet on a dashboard of a car, and is quite clearly two separate models, with the legs being detached, inverted and floating about a metre in front of the rest of him...from a dev who claimed it was the "best looking game on the wii" :P
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    I love to break down the creative process and see how environments are made. A lot of the time this reveals new techniques I haven't thought about, as well as the flaws.
    One thing I do notice that bugs me is ugly changes in texel denisty.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I definitely notice stuff like that. Lately it's because I'm infected waiting to respawn, so I have time to look around. Valve didn't bother smoothing their lightbulbs. . . FOR SHAME!

There's also some floating rocks in TF2

Doesn't matter, I still play and enjoy the games, but it's kind of fun to see that I'm not the only one who makes mistakes :P
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I do. I use it to help me as well to note where to pay particular attention.

The biggest annoyance for me is.. Facial animation. Its an area I have interest in, and I see it done again and again so half assed.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I try to do the opposite, if I see something particularly neat I'll remember it incase it comes in handy

as for faults, like folks say if the big picture looks good, I tend to just roll with it :)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    I think its natural for us all to notice stuff that isnt perfect just as it would be normal for an English professor to notice incorrect grammar etc., but on the other hand we can appreciate really good art on a totally different level to Joe Blogs which i think is kinda cool. :)

I spend loads of time in games checking out random environment bits when i should be playing and for me the forests in Oblivion are a perfect example of that...to the point of getting annoyed that a monster attacks me because i was looking at a sweet tree or whatever :P

I also find that i cant listen to music in the same way that i could when i was 16 because i have been playing guitar for so long and end up analysing the sound more than enjoying the music.
    Its all part and parcel of the game though, i guess :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I've seen stretched UV's on a curb in skate 2 (it was really bad, went for like 20ft, and on a major street)

Borderlands had some really bad poping, and you could easily get out of parts of the map (I liked it more than it bothered me, they were more like short cuts than falling through the map or anything)

Art issues bother me a lot less than glitches or bugs in the engines.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    When I play games I usually end up looking at models and textures no matter how fun the game is to play. I also tend to explore and reach places I'm not meant to and sometimes I stumble upon an easter egg hidden above the skybox. To be honest I find the gameplay of most games dull compared to the art. If I find a stretched texture or two it doesnt really matter either, I'm sure the person responsible was stressed out due to deadlines, budget or something. It's usually understandable imho.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I never really use to before unless it was in ME 1, where it was obvious some of the verts were going crazy, or how the eye lids seem to slant one particular way on the female characters. But I've been doing it more now to learn how a game environment is put together. Usually if I'm not looking to learn though, I won't notice unless it really stands out.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    games are godawfully ugly in general. It's hard to watch how many talented artists get into the industry and end up working on ugly as hell lowest common denominator soulless bs. I don't really quibble over little technical issues like UVs, and any game that actually has solid art direction is something i study for inspiration.
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    I was in Tesco the other day, using one of the self-serve checkouts and I looked at the animation of the woman scanning her food and I turned to my friend and said "Ouch, look at those nasty shading error around the armpit".

He had no idea what I was on about...
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    It's good for my self confidence. For example, whenever I think my rigging ends me up with odd deformations, I look at Mass Effect. And I like to look at this screenshot every time Polycount complains about my awkward proportions.

On the other hand, I also try to learn from games that look good, but I've found that you're more likely to pick up design techniques than technical ones.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I notice it all the time, I can't not be critical. However, when I see errors, instead of thinking "OMG fail" I actually feel good and think "heh, these guys are still human, just like the rest of us." I like seeing them because it shows that nothing is perfect.

What actually does bug me though is wacky anatomy and really ugly faces. I think that is bad because they could have probably gotten a better artist. By extension, character creators that let you create really non-human weird facial shapes bug me. I'd never want a model I make subjected to a bad character creator. :p
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I used to be more active I'd look at these things all the time. Instead of enjoying the game I'd be thinking of "cool, how did they do this" or "floating model, ughh"

Haven't done anything related to game art in a while now, and in return I started to enjoy games once again.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    MoP wrote: »
    Yeah, I end up noticing a fair bit of weirdness/dodginess when playing games. Strange use of polygon budgets, crappy textures in focal points, drastic differences in pixel density etc.

This totally.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I kinda hate the use of Normal Maps on skin, and cloth.

It looks awful when it moves and deforms like rubber, while the wrinkles remain intact.

I also hate how hair is crappy in 99% of the games, and notice when developers try to use 8-bit alpha transparencies ANYWAYS, but live with a crappy 1-bit cutout that looks crappy.

I guess most of my gripes are with the limitations of the current-gen technology.

I find Resident Evil 5, and Final Fantasy had the best looking characters. Lack of Normal Mapped wrinkles, with decent facial animation.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Now...I do tend to spot flaws easier than friends that don't have anything to do with CG...for example there was a quite big clipping issue in one of the Supreme Commander's introductional videos (let's leave the dodgy character animation asside)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Y10QpFvr8[/ame]

...a friend of mine watched it a couple of times before me and never spotted it...when he showed it to me I immediately saw it and pointed him to it, but he wouldn't believe me until he watched it again, paying extra attention...I think you can get away with many flaws with the general audience...
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, Bioshock 2 has a few pre rendered videos in it that did the same, where they used the actual game engine and ingame graphics, just pre-recorded for no reason... Ghostbusters did the same thing.

I know that most of the time, they do this for either frame rate reasons (more effects etc) or space issues... But they could at least fix up the terrible clipping and bugs, just distracts from the overall feel.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    MoP wrote: »
    Same. I leave the scrutinizing stuff at the office. I'm at home, I am trying to enjoy myself. I see stuff, but meh... we've all been in situations where mistakes are seen, but we can't fix due to time/asset locks/bug seniority/plain ol' missed it/art director has that "vision"...

My favorite is in Mass Effect where you get the assignment to take out those two corporate dudes from that old lady: For some reason she re-positioned herself like 10 feet in the air, so my character was looking up at her, and she was looking down at my character.

Also I guess there is a streaming bug on Mass Effect where you come out the mines after that mission where you gotta kill the bugs (the one where you hook the vehicle to the generator to power the turrets). Well you come out the mines and performance drops to 1FPS then to .01 FPS. No joke. Happened every time (3rd playthrough 100% repeatable). I just save before I leave the mines, and right when I get out. Maybe this happens only when you are running the game off the Xbox HDD.
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    I never really pick a game apart unless I'm trying to get a little inspiration. You start noticing though in a lot of games there are strategically placed explosive barrels everywhere to make it a bit more epic and fun, but when you wonder why they would be there in reality, It makes no sense.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Must be a male thing to focus on singular things? I dont actively look for gripes if the whole art direction of the scene/game works. I can usually play a game fine without being too put off by glitches. But if there is something that breaks the mood of the scene (over saturated texture, different texturing styles or anything else that break the continuity of a scene it bothers me. A lot.

I remember playing morrowind and Hazard would be like "Omg look at the seams on the rock, an this tree, but when you pull back from those things and you look at them as a whole, we both agreed it was just awesome art.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    That latest diablo3 monk video also had a shitload of clipping errors...
    Im just glad even the 'big boys' make mistakes sometimes :)

One thing I do often do is kind of the opposite from noticing errors: When I see something well done or a cool shader I try to figure out how they did it (water in bioshock, prince of persia textures, nintendo ds games with amazing details/style). Reverse engineer all over those bitches!!! :D
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I dont always look for little things but this one on jesters bum in UT3 caught my attention somehow lol

Jester_hole_by_SirCula.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Yeh sometimes, most of the time it doesn't bother me being in areas that are hard to see. There is one on my mind though in Dead Space, you know after you defeat the mold monster in the tunnel, if you go up to the remains there is a big section on the inside of the rim which hasn't got any uv's so you see those ugly lines, not sure if it's there when it's alive as you can't get that close. Still a great game, part 2 is coming soon, should be mega fun!
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Bad deform bends: neck, elbow and shoulders.
    Normal mapped clothing ( suits with plastic specularity ).
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    singular focus:

unreal-tournament-2007-20050819054425778_640w.jpg

wholeness:

Team%20Fortress%202.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Christ I remember looking at those UT3 pics years back thinking they looked amazing...

Now it looks terrible, the final game looks a lot better...
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I notice stuff like this all time, and usually you can only see most 'errors' if you're actually looking close up at things.

The 1 thing I hate (and I can get it to happen in Fallout 3 a lot) is when a character dies, they turn into this big black spider looking mesh and fly off into space and all the verts go crazy. I have no idea what causes it by Fallout 3 and Fable 2 seem to do it a lot (on 360, never saw it on PC).
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    yeah, I'm with you guys. It kinda makes the immersion goes away if I started noticing this stuff a lot. Floating props, texture stretches, obvious mirrors, ugly seams, noticeable differences on texel / pixel density, bad lighting, etc.
    And I guess it only gets worse as your skills as an artist gets better.

On the other hand, there's a few games, that I only replayed them just because how awesomely made they are, like Doom3. Last time I replayed it, I took more than 400 screenshots, their sub-d work is fantastic.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I can definitely see some errors in most of the games I've played recently, in no way do they make the games less fun though. It does make you wonder though how much attention is being paid to the stretching of textures, and in some cases complete un-allignment.
  • DudeinCA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That horrific seam on the butt of the big machine gun in MW2...dunno why they put it there instead of the opposite+bottom side... it's really apparent normally, but then it has a texture variation...and it's even worse on that one. Disgraceful :P

same thing on fallout 3 with the tesla gun when u reload a massive seam is just staring u in the face.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    not if im just playing.

i did however end up spending hours looking at the environments in uncharted 2 because of the opposite reason:

i couldnt find flaws :D
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    oh cmon eld, you might as well do this:

Tf2old_soldier-744727.jpg
    features-lighting-thumb.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Uncharted 2 is perfect?!

uncharted-2-among-thieves-20090115041035897.jpg

I see stretching, inconsistent pixel densities, the shading on the brick wall and the modeled bricks is different (and looks bad in places). Etc, etc.

It does look really good, but nothing is perfect.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    @Zwebbie: That ME pic was awesome. I got a good LOL from it.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    JordanW wrote: »
    oh cmon eld, you might as well do this:

Tf2old_soldier-744727.jpg
    features-lighting-thumb.jpg

Epic did improve readability of their scenes by a tenfold since UDK due to the new lightmap baking system, but it does not change the fact that each piece of the big ut3 pie was built with quite a narrow sight, each to perfection, when the scene itself should've been the focus.

Sort of an overfocus you could say, overdetailing.

readability:

UT99_1.jpg

Unreal-Tournament-3-Bonus-Pack-3-volume-II_2.JPG