Home Technical Talk

Normal Creation Problems

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
Ok, been trying to work on some stuff at home and add higher poly to normal poly workflow into my work.. anyhow..

creating a garbage can lid I'm continuing to have issues. Can anyone show me wtf I'm doing wrong? I've done it several ways and I continue to have major issues with my normal not showing correctly on my lowpoly.. Is it just because I'm noobular?

.... (2 obj high and low garbage lid)

...(3 obj high and low and a mid poly garbage lid)

I've tried adding more geo to the low poly. I've tried messing with the smoothing groups.. no luck yet.

I'm just kind of confused at where my problem is. No matter what I do it looks like crap on my lowpoly.

crap5.jpg

Replies

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Jeremy,

Could you post some images of your results?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    thanks all, the dudes in #model_design helped me out. Apparently was baking fine had a couple artifacts I need to look at but was looking odd in crazybump. Looked fine in xnormal.
  • I_R_Hopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_R_Hopo polycounter lvl 14
    Were you following the Dumpster Tutorial on CGTuts+? You're lid looks identical. I had a lot of problems with that one as well, made me give up on learning 3d for probably about a month a few months ago because I thought I'd never get the hang of it. I figured out the problem was the display in Crazybump though, as it auto-sets a displacement map to your model on first time use for whatever reason. If that's what it's doing here, just set it off or to zero and you should be good to go :)
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    Try disabling parallax mapping in CB's preview window. Does that help?

If not, the problem might come down to CrazyBump creating a slightly different tangent space than your modeling program. If you send me your low-poly model and texture, I'll have a peek at it, and see if I can figure anything out!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Why are you using CB to pre-visualize your bakes? What's wrong with using max's viewport with a shader or even xnormal?

But yes, probably it's the tangent space calculations problem all over again.
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=68173
    You should always try and visualize your baked result using the app you baked with and/or the game engine.