Home Technical Talk

Maya hardware transparency problem

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
sagiarts polycounter lvl 6
Hi I am facing a wired problem of hardware display (high quality) for transparency maps.
However I keep the map as a alpha channel or as a separate tga file they give the same result like this:
tp.jpg
Please help me guys

Replies

• Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Viewport opacity in maya ROFL ? If someone DOES find a remedy to this, PLEASE POST IT!!!!!
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    I think in Maya view port cant handle the transparency. Try uncheck the poly transparency in shading and check the att editor render if their are single side if so uncheck it and click on double side.
  • AreDub3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's definitely one of the funnier examples I've seen of it ...

But sorry, that is actually not a "weird problem" as far as Autodesk is concerned.

Unless a user has taken it upon themselves to make a fix (and I'm not aware any have), you'll need to fully render it or just go ahead and drop your model in to a game engine to see what you've made (if you're using UDK, at least, it's easy to update the changes you make in Maya or Photoshop.)

This is one of the great Mysteries of Maya ...

(That's some nice forehead skin, by the way, Sagiarts! And welcome to polycount ... helpful folks here. Well, maybe not me, but we try.)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe try finding a CGFX or HLSL shader that supports the maps you need, they tend to look better than the standard Hardware Display shader.
  • chronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chronic polycounter lvl 10
    the fix for this is fairly simple, although annoying, you need to make 2 shaders - one for objects that actually have transparency and one for objects that dont. Even though you objects may be sharing the same textures and alpha channel you need to disconnect the transparency option in the shader for those that don't actually have transparent bits.

hlsl and cgfx shaders have their own inherent problems with transparency in maya - and i dont recommend them for this purpose. they can be made to work under limited circumstances but multiple transparent layered objects will never work properly (like hair).
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    This is no way weird, magic or a mystery. It's alpha-sorting. It's an issue in all realtime rendering. Maya viewport uses object transparency sorting, based on the bounding sphere I think.
    Chronic gave you the best solution, but most engines would prefer a limited use of alpha, using only alpha where it's needed (hair) and not use it for the whole mesh. ie. two separate textures.
  • AreDub3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars wrote: »
    This is no way weird, magic or a mystery.

The mystery I was referring to is why it hasn't been made to work out of the box in the last three versions I've been using Maya.

The days of expecting your more enterprising customers to fix your software *should* be over. (Not ranting, here -- I love Maya. Just calling a spade a spade!)
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    I'll second Chronic's solution, a bit of a hassle but it works.

chronic wrote: »
    hlsl and cgfx shaders have their own inherent problems with transparency in maya - and i dont recommend them for this purpose. they can be made to work under limited circumstances but multiple transparent layered objects will never work properly (like hair).

I actually had mutliple objects layered in front of each other with transparency using a CGFX shader. Worked fine. They had to be separated objects to work though, I think. They were all completely flat planes. Probably wont work well if its a semi-cylindrical plane and you were to see both front side and back side.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the fix for this is fairly simple, although annoying, you need to make 2 shaders - one for objects that actually have transparency and one for objects that dont. Even though you objects may be sharing the same textures and alpha channel you need to disconnect the transparency option in the shader for those that don't actually have transparent bits.

Awesome dude this works like a charm, althought tedious and annoying, it solves the problem completely.

Ive hooked up 2 blinns, one with opacity and one without, applied the two to their respective pieces and everythings fine. I even tested it on a character im working on with layers and layers of transparency. perfect.

I should have remembered that from doing pretty much the same thing to get a good sort going inside marmoset!
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    try to turn off object transparency sorting and turn on polygon transparency sorting...
    in the viewport under shading...
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Not Sure if this env still works fer viewport alpha.
    But jes in case:

MAYA_SLOW_DRAWPIXELS = 1
  • chronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    was reading from the maya docs about cgfx:
    Maya supports rendering of transparent CgFX shaders. Maya detects whether the blending state is enabled in the first pass. If blending is enabled, Maya uses the Object Transparency Sorting or Polygon Transparency Sorting options in the viewport to correctly render the transparent shader.
    So maybe cgfx is our salvation after all - HLSL for sure is borked
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu wrote: »
    try to turn off object transparency sorting and turn on polygon transparency sorting...
    in the viewport under shading...

Thanks for pointing this one out, it works a charm for non normal mapped stuff. But anything with normals + opacity still end up looking pretty funky and random.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Maya 2009, using CGFX shader

transparency.jpg
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kodde: Cool!! But try an example, thats normal mapped, all one object and has parts with and without opacity, as THAT is the main culprit thats breaking things.

The example you have there works perfectly even now in maya 8.5, with the standard blinn shader.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    I don't think it will work when it's all one object, same issue as regular Maya. My point with example 2 and 3 in my image was that it sorts them correctly (seems to?) even though one object's pivot might be closer to camera than the other.

EDIT: I can give your suggestion a try though, will do it later in the evening when I'm at home.
  • chronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the most annoying transparency problem I have seen is like this example from Xoliul's shader thread:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showpost.php?p=1075588&postcount=195
    this happens with HLSL shaders and I was under the impression it happened in cgfx too, but if not then I will be fully converting to CGFX.
  • sagiarts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sagiarts polycounter lvl 6
    Thanx a ton man(chronic,kodde, Hazardous,claydough,oglu,vofff....and the list of helpful people continues) thanx alot,I really mean it..... cause nobody even bothered to respond in sites like zbrushcentral or cgtalkand I get sooooooo many helpful responses out here.
    I request Admin to kindly keep an auto mailing system to the users mailbox with each response to his subscribed thread(it is not there in my case so I took a while to write this mail)
    I will be experimenting with all this so valuable responses and am sure I will come up with a solution shortly.
    Pals I also need to know if there is any training dvd on game level modeling texturing in 3ds max,its damn urgent.
    Thanx again to all my kindhearted freinds who spent their valuable times responding this thread.
    Kind regards
    Arnab
    AKA Sagiarts
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    I am having quite similar problems with CGFX shaders, not that convinced any more.
  • chronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kodde
    Yep, i just finnished converting one of my HLSL shaders to CGFX and was disappointed as well - single or double layers of transparency could be corrected with creative object combining - but it seems like complex multi-layered transparency will always be a problem.

My cynical view is that this is one of those minor fringe case issues that Autodesk will never get around to resolving.
  • fantasymaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantasymaster polycounter lvl 12
    Had the same problem with the alpha chanel. I used separate alpha textures to fix it.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kodde
    Yep, i just finnished converting one of my HLSL shaders to CGFX and was disappointed as well - single or double layers of transparency could be corrected with creative object combining - but it seems like complex multi-layered transparency will always be a problem.

My cynical view is that this is one of those minor fringe case issues that Autodesk will never get around to resolving.

Its such a shame, but ive got to agree with you man, I dont think they will get around to it either.

Alpha sorting has been a bane to game development since forever. Especially in hair. Metal Gear Solid/ Final Fantasy are one of the few places that dare actually give characters hair styles that arent crew cut / short cropped non opacity styles, I dont ever recall seeing alpha sorting problems in Final Fantasy.

I blame the coders. :P :P :P
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    there is NO fix for hardware shading unless you use a cgfx or hlsl shader.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • chronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've decided to say "screw you alpha blending" - our engine here at work does alpha testing anyways so why bother with other techniques.
    replace your blend code with alpha test code - seems to work in preliminary tests across all situations and isnt influenced by mayas viewport Shading>Object Transparency Sorting or Shading>Polygon Transparency Sorting
    CGFX code:
    //BlendEnable = true;
    //BlendFunc = float2(srcalpha, oneminussrcalpha);
    AlphaTestEnable = true;
    AlphaFunc = float2(Greater, .5);

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah alpha test solves the sorting problem, but it's only on/off, no translucency. Can't use it for hair, for example.

You can use both together at the same time. But it only reduces the sorting problems to a fringe of pixels, not really that helpful.
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    Ahh, the age old problem of alpha sorting...

/me sips his bourbon

when will we learn?
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak wrote: »
    Ahh, the age old problem of alpha sorting...

/me sips his bourbon

when will we learn?

When will YOU learn how to fix it and be the awesomest person on the planet!!!!
  • chronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One day a hero will rise and say:
    Fabulous secret powers were revealed to me the day I held aloft my magic sword and said... By the power of Greyskull! I have solved alpha transparency sorting!
    until that day . . .