Home General Discussion

Giacometti sculpture fetches £65 million at Sotheby's auction

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
2wcjtc0.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts_and_culture/8497370.stm

"A life-size bronze sculpture of a man by Alberto Giacometti has been sold at auction in London for a world record price of £65,001,250."

I'd really like to see this piece in person just to get the sense of scale. I'm surprised something that isn't very iconic or a piece of history, sold for so much. I'm not saying its not worth that, but still a lot for an artist that died in the 60's, and isn't popular in the main stream world.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    if the replica I saw was on scale, its pretty dwarfing honestly. And very iconic ...
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i thought i saw some video from the auction, seemed pretty big. I wouldnt have paid that, but then again i'm not an eccentric billionaire...
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    looks kind of like turds
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I pity da foo!...who would spend that much on any artwork
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Ninjas wrote: »
    looks kind of like turds

See a doctor.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    It's worth that because trade says it is, not because the art is so fantastic its valued at 65 mil. Investing in art is good business, if you can afford it.

I find the whole 'art' sector shady these days :\
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    would never give soo much money away for something that looks like a failed zbrush turd

nowadays art makes no sence
    its all about building crap, calling it art and selling it for shitloads of money, and "acting pompous and faggy"...
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    people call everything art these days... whether its pleasing to the eye or not doesn't matter. just demand a lot of money for it and you're "in".
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    divi wrote: »
    people call everything art these days... whether its pleasing to the eye or not doesn't matter. just demand a lot of money for it and you're "in".

ahahah

I wish it was as simple as that
    would be pretty easy to get rich :P
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    And people complain about the proportions of my models...
    nowadays art makes no sence
    its all about building crap, calling it art and selling it for shitloads of money, and "acting pompous and faggy"...
    Supposedly, modern art is a test chamber to see how people react to different things. So yes, crap.
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    Oh and if you haven't seen it , remedy that now...

art and money...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kmt51
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    wow, what a pile of crap, someone would have to pay me to take this thing away to the smelting plant!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwdxIUeMrSM[/ame]
    I hope this modern art farce goes down the toilet soon because it's terrible to even call it art when you compare to real classical and contemporary artists work.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    pior wrote: »
    if the replica I saw was on scale, its pretty dwarfing honestly.

gosh damn! how tall are you frenchy? :P
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    Crikey, open your minds people. Good art teaches you a new way of looking at things. If there was no Piet Mondrian and his theories of colour and compasition then there would have been no Mirrors Edge, one of the most striking games to come out recently (not much fun but that's another thread!).

That Giacometti sculpture for example in my eyes has personality and purpose and is a great thing. Not 65million of great but the world attaches funny values to stuff!

Go to a gallery, see stuff in the flesh, take some time to look at it, ignore the artistic musings of others and don't condemn it till you see it. Yeah some modern art is tosh, some video games are tosh, some music is tosh. There's crap in every facet of creative endvour but don't write off a whole genre because of one example.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omg!!!! nuance!!!!! omg!!!!!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick: while i agree with most everything you said, you also have to keep in mind that the viewpoint would still hold true if the tables were turned. take nice game art or a 3d piece, place it in front of an art professor, curator, or general art snob, and most would say it is crap that requires no artistic skill. granted, there are galleries that show digital media on a regular basis as it is gaining more popularity, but coming from a lot of personal experience, the art crowd looks down on it unless it was done in photoshop, then it's "okay". of course they would throw in the formal "respect and appreciate the time and effort" put into something digital, but only out of courtesy and maintaining appearances.
    younger generations are however changing this viewpoint dramatically.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah what nick says. Having a strong personal opinion is cool and all, but calling a Giacometti, and l'Homme Qui Marche nonetheless, a turd ... it kinda sickens me. Okay it does't look like a greek bust but hey thats kindof not the point. Take it for what it is, and don't judge a sculpture by a mere jpg of it.

And no I am not brainwashed by art school (didnt go there). I remember seeing the replica on a crossroad in the city when I was a little kid, and remember my dad explaining to me what it is and how he likes it. Then later I saw a proper bronze cast of it at the Fondation Beyeler in Switzerland, and boy was it beautiful, contrasting with the elegant lines of the building.

alberto_giacometti_fondation_beyeler_taidedesign_com.jpg

Now I dont know if this is worth that amount of money but to me it doesnt matter, I just enjoy art for what it is, in museums, getting inspired then trying to kick my own arse to make my own. I don't want to give a lecture here, but guys please respect a few things, no one need to hear the kind of 'im too cool to like this' teenager chatter.

I think.
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    I agree Firebert, but I don't really consider my self an 'artist' more of a craftsman or designer, much like some one building a theatre set might not consider themselves an artist. I thinks it's more about the purpose of why we create what we create, much of my work is trying to echo real life so the design choices are more filtering of reference and observation than grand artistic gestures, so some one into fine art might consider my work not art which I'm fine with. Maybe I need more grand artistic gestures in my work though... That said, I do think games are art, we design something that elicits an emotional response, the same as painting, installations, film or ballet. Any way, this is kind of off track but I agree with you!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert, I dunno. If you put then side by side, a Giacometti and say, a lifesize 3D print of a Dominance War winner, complete with glowing neon lights and realistic wig for hair ... the Giacometti would strike a chord and express something, whereas a lifesize spacemarine, no matter how realistic it looks, would just scream "Booo hooooo I'm badass and I have airbrushed skintones". I honestly don't care if one took hours of vertex pushing sitting in front of a computer and the other not... (and this does not come from an ignorance of the 3d CG medium ;) )

I would recognize the craft behind the spacemarine print, but that doesnt make it a striking art piece to me. If you ask an average crowd outside a modern art museum what they liked the most, they wont tell about how poor or awesome the execution of a piece was. They would likely tell you about an idea that struck them the most, or what a given piece reminded them of...
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    giant Ron Mueck baby is not amused with the money thrown at art these days

2.jpg

I do know art is very subjective but i think overall beauty and execution of a work should also be acknowledge.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior: i agree with you. there are different aspects of it. yeah you have the example you gave, but that's just one end of the spectrum, and unfortunately is the staple to which cg art is attached to. there's the good and there is the bad... but i see where you're coming from. put a stan winston costume next to this, and yes, then it gets down to the critique of purpose and emotional response.

and yes, Mueck is the man.... but beauty and execution (although his is mindblowing) is all about the intent of the artist. subjective is an understatement, but it's art.

this is taking me back to some arguments from my old art history classes.... them shits got nasty.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    By and large I don't like 'modern' art, and got into arguments about this all the time in college. I don't object to pushing boundaries, but if the end result is so obscure that people can't decipher it, the art is a failure. I will get to the point of screaming when the "everything is art" crowd start going on about personal interpretation. The artist's intent in creation is the bit of magic that brings great art to life - if he's not communicating his intent such that viewers can appreciate it, he's not making art.

I also have a real tough time accepting something as art when it required little to no technical proficiency or control to create. Pollack's splashing paint on canvas or Duchamp's flipping a urinal on its side are mindless efforts passed off as some bit of perceptual cleverness. I can just barely abide what Mondrian did with his compositions, but I can at least appreciate his pioneering thinking about form and space.
  • Disco Stu
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    There was an art competition on tv a little while ago, the majority of them couldnt draw, as attributed by one of the tests. The winner of it, even some of the judges admitted she was a hack,(her winning piece of work was a log that fell on a metal fence that she found, all her work was just putting random things together, and then making up nonsense about it), but if she said it was art emphatically enough then... I dont know(I think it was rubbish, a clever con, or not so clever, as everyone is colluded in the con).

On the one hand I think anything man creates or looks at can be construed as art, but as long as I'm not expected to buy it all for millions of dollars or people are going to make up dribbling nonsense about it.
  • [Deleted User]
    itt people say modern art is crap while heading off to model another space marine
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I find funny is that some people almost get offended that some people spend huge sums of money for something that the "offendee" sees no value in.

Personally, I think its a pretty cool piece, though I would never spend 63 million quid on it. But I couldn't personally care less if the 63 million were spent on the piece, or a bag of crisps. I'm just happy that such a large amount of private money is shot into the market.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Crikey, open your minds people.

It's a matter of taste, there are pieces of art that are considered to be great art amongst nearly everyone who sees them, even though I detest having to follow the herd I detest lying to myself even more. As you can tell I feel very strongly about this so maybe an example is in order...

Classical sculpture...
    AH1L21Nike.jpg
    Contemporary sculpture...
    11_18_61---Modern-Sculpture--London_web.jpg
    and then the one in this thread...
    AlbertoGiacometti-Stridingman.jpg
    Now you tell me that if you learnt the basics of working with bronze that you wouldn't be able to make something like that? Imo and probably the majority of the population this guy did not have any skill to speak of, time and time again this new "art" is more about money than actual real art.
  • Pankake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pankake polycounter lvl 11
    itt people say modern art is crap while heading off to model another space marine
    Or gun.

It's hard to call any art crap, someone somewhere will love it, all you can really say is you don't like it. In this case, I don't. I've got a hand carved wooden sculpture here, about 2 ft tall of an African hunter dude that I think is way better, and probably only worth about $100.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GCMP, as pior said, true art is not about the skill, but about the impression it invokes in you.

Also, comparing those sculptures is almost like comparing cinema with music.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I think Adam is right here. I suspect the whole fine art world is a huge tax write-off for rich people. Here is how I think it works:

You buy 10 paintings (from the same artist), and put 2 up for auction. Your buddy does the same. You agree with your buddy to go to the auction and buy each other's formerly worthless paintings for 1 mil each. Now you publicly have a record that the art is worth 1 million per painting. Time to donate all your paintings to a museum and take a 10 million tax write-off!

[edit]
    Just because the statue looks like turds doesn't make it bad art. I actually consider that aspect a plus.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    you know, after reading this thread, I think Belias was onto something with his magicians and anubis.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He totally was..

Seriously, Belias' art is so surreal it would make Salvador Dali go "Wait, wat?"
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll agree with the defenders of Giacometti that the impression is more important than the amount or complexity of the detail that is shown. I do not, however, understand how you could consider a statue like this, which is too poorly defined to even have a facial expression, to leave more of an impression than, say, Baroque or Neoclassical sculpture.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    maybe it has something to do with the brand
  • Dusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a cave painting turned into a sculpture. It would be cool if he made some wierd looking buffalo herds or deer to go with it.

Then take pictures of it in a cave!

..profit?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    bbob wrote: »
    GCMP, as pior said, true art is not about the skill, but about the impression it invokes in you.

Also, comparing those sculptures is almost like comparing cinema with music.

Ok, putting skill aside and looking at the work of say Jackson Pollock invokes no feelings yet people bought it for ridiculous amounts of money because it was cool to do so, the same applies here as I hope to demonstrate...
    To answer your second question, they are all sculptures and the last two are modern ones so how could it be possible that can they not be compared?

Out of the pics I posted;

The classical makes me think of freedom and spirituality, being blessed and escaping to a better place. It also makes me think of change, a once trapped soul being transformed in the light and released from bondages.

The second invokes less because it is more specific but it makes me feel that she is calm and meticulous, perhaps waiting to go on stage and perform elegantly.

The last one doesn't make me feel anything but I could say what it looks like and it it looks like a stick man walking in some mud. If I didn't know it was made from metal I would say that perhaps a caveman had made it with very primitive tools a long time ago. So I guess it's not true art then, right?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Wow, I'm surprised by the amount of people here that don't think its worth 65 million pounds, or even a piece of art for that matter. Alberto Giacometti has a place in art history. So for (rich) collectors its also about being a piece of history, and modern movements in the art world. It could be the collectors favorite piece, who knows (the piece was valued at 10 million pounds). But anyway

Art is not about craft. If all you can appreciate is realism, that's fucking depressing.

I really don't care if I'm being blunt about my thoughts on this. I don't even care if you like the piece or not, its not one of my favorites by a long shot. But it is a great work of art.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I would still like to debate that its not the art thats good or bad, but the practice of buying and selling art that is a sham! :thumbdown:

Looking at art and purchasing art a a long-term investment rather than as an appreciation for the piece is pretty upsetting.

:(
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Art is not about craft. If all you can appreciate is realism, that's fucking depressing.

Art is about ideas and the emotional response they can arouse. And for me this arouses an urge to go pinch a loaf. That's worth $2 at the drug store, not 65 million at Sotheby's.

I'm sure someone in the world might pay 65 million for aesthetic value alone, but that's not what this is about. This is a fancy way to invest your money.

And just as art is not all about craft, it is also definitely not about investment.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do not, however, understand how you could consider a statue like this, which is too poorly defined to even have a facial expression, to leave more of an impression than, say, Baroque or Neoclassical sculpture.

Well i guess taste vary. Just imagine l'homme qui marche 'rendered' the same way as those two examples you posted. You would get heavy whipped cream baroque cloth folds trying to flow in the wind, some twisted, overly smoothed arm pointing forward,, a spine curving in 3 different directions, and so on. Something quite heavy to look at, somehow.

The stick figure, to me, gives it more humanity, a sense of fragility that does not mean crazy stone polishing skills to be expressed. Same with the oversized feet holding the skeleton. But then again maybe it comes from experiencing the piece with my own eyes instead of through a picture from the internet.

i don't have much to say about the price ... i guess since its rare, it has value? But then again I don't need to know the trade value of a bronze for me to learn something from it's aesthetics.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    adam wrote: »
    I would still like to debate that its not the art thats good or bad, but the practice of buying and selling art that is a sham! :thumbdown:

Looking at art and purchasing art a a long-term investment rather than as an appreciation for the piece is pretty upsetting.

:(

The least the artist wasn't a commercial artist. Rich people buy whatever they want, cars, planes, boats, rare imported flooring, fossils, historical artifacts, etc etc.
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The stick figure, to me, gives it more humanity, a sense of fragility that does not mean crazy stone polishing skills to be expressed.
    It's funny you should say that because I actually find this Giacometti sculpture to be very dehumanizing and depressing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    I do not, however, understand how you could consider a statue like this, which is too poorly defined to even have a facial expression, to leave more of an impression than, say, Baroque or Neoclassical sculpture.
    Claude_Monet_015.jpg
    westminster01.jpg
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    The price probably has more to do with the pockets of the people bidding than the "quality" of the piece. That said... those of you trying to denounce this with technical criticism (bad anatomy, no definition, etc) really REALLY need to get out there and see some contemporary art in person. All art, and especially the more abstract and surreal pieces, loses almost everything when not seen in person.

I used to talk all kinds of shit about modern abstract art... then I caught a couple by chance in a museum when I was there to see something else. Shit's for real, dawg.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    okno wrote: »
    It's funny you should say that because I actually find this Giacometti sculpture to be very dehumanizing and depressing.

Maybe gloom and depression are part of the human experience. I'm sure seeing something that big in person, if probably is easier to relate to.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i guess taste vary. Just imagine l'homme qui marche 'rendered' the same way as those two examples you posted.

But then again maybe it comes from experiencing the piece with my own eyes instead of through a picture from the internet.
    Thank you for the response, Pior. I hadn't actually expected you to like this kind of art, since I really love your work, but don't even remotely care for modernism.

I still don't quite understand, though. I can imagine that baroque is a bit too much for some people's tastes, but neoclassicism can really be quite tame in that regard. I can imagine that it's all too smooth for you, but Rodin's work has a textural quality to it too.

L'homme qui marche, in my opinion, is so abstract that he does not have any (meaningful) body language. And without body language, what can a sculpture tell?

(as for seeing it as a picture on the internet, I must admit that I've never actually seen the works I linked for real either)

Kaskad: Caravaggio, Bouguereau, seriously, that shit is heart-warming. I like the colours in that Monet, but the wholy rough, flaky painting style is distracting at best.