[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4BMi8w21Ps&feature=related[/ame]

And now comments from people bitching about why they hate Final Fantasy
\/ \/ \/

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    seeing the face-texture of one of the characters was actually interesting. uv-map usage and mirroring!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Japanese girls always sound so impressed :P
  • campano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats cool stuff
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    dangggggggg what a dream for that bunch to get in there and see that stuff! I'd pay to go on that tour!!!! Wicked find dude!
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whooooooooa uiiiiiiii
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Best hair in-game so far, suprising how simple and logical the alpha plane layout is too.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Japanese girls always sound so impressed :P

I had to turn the sound off after a minute, them repeatedly going OoOOoOoOOoOoOoO AHHHHHHHH WOOOOOAHHHHHH is like nails on a chalkboard, I hope the girls on those shows have more of a purpose than just looking pretty and making noises, because clips from shows like that always annoy the hell out of me.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    FF10 was the start of turning their boys into girls. Once it hit FF12, it all went down hill.

One of the aspects of character design is to create something the viewer / player can associate with to pull you into the world. I definitely can't associate with this guy.

SazhKatzroy.jpg

Here's the main character for FF12. I REALLY couldn't associate myself with Vaan.

2923814.png

Sorry for derailing your topic. You knew it was coming :p
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    Best hair in-game so far, suprising how simple and logical the alpha plane layout is too.

agree with this.. and its awesome to get see the insides of their shop, I've always loved Squeeenix, and they've always led the way in terms of graphical prowess.. great find.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Haiasi wrote: »
    FF10 was the start of turning their boys into girls. Once it hit FF12, it all went down hill.

One of the aspects of character design is to create something the viewer / player can associate with to pull you into the world. I definitely can't associate with this guy.

Here's the main character for FF12. I REALLY couldn't associate myself with Vaan.

haha well I sure could associate with them :P but maybe that's because I'm a girl :P
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haisi: turning boys into girls ? I hear that comment all the time, and i say to you I'd never in a million years look at vaan and think thats a chick.

If I DID see a chick that look like that id be secretly laughing my balls off at how unfortunate of a girl she must be and what she would have gone through at school growing up.

I think your more referring to the male characters having their features refined, smoothing the hard lines, wrinkles and imperfections stuff that we commonly see only done to females on billboards and such. That would be more accurate, but straight out girl?... dude.

(Insert comment here with picture of Vaan and the manliest man on polycount saying " I'd hit that ")
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think he means physically into girls, I think it's more alongs the lines of them being effeminate-metro-sexual-douche-bags...
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think he means physically into girls, I think it's more alongs the lines of them being effeminate-metro-sexual-douche-bags...

Do they threaten you because they get all the chicks ?! :P
  • undoz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for sharing. The quality of the characters is amazing.

The character design is typical Japanese and nothing out of the ordinary here. I don't think they they thought too much about the western market.

That face texture looked to me like it was baked from a different uv layout.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    lol thanks for starting that argument off AGAIN Haiasi...it's not as if the internets has been through it enough times :poly124:
    One of the aspects of character design is to create something the viewer / player can associate with to pull you into the world.

Show me on what character design tome that is written...
    I definitely can't associate with this guy.

SazhKatzroy.jpg

Well...are you black? If not, there's your first clue...could be why 'you aren't relating to him'. Seems like a likeable character to me. Will have to wait and see.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Unlike space marines, undercover mercenaries, magical knights or italian plumbers?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    no, I don't think that was his point. Here's a guy I can associate with:
    l4d2coach.jpg
    (either of them..) and I'm not black. Or the dude from that old spice commercial, he's awesome.

associate does not mean 'they're like me'
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol Zwebbie I was going to ask him how much he identifies with Marcus from Gear of War lol!! :D

I want to punch that otaku with the red glasses in the face repeatedly. Seriously...how is he not embarrased.

What is that yellowish map...some kind of lighting? Interesting to see the UV's...they clearly projection painted that character.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Good stuff, I found the face texture the most interesting part, particularly the uv space distribution; quite different to what you usually see.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have all the Final Fantasy X and X-2 models.

They're pretty cool though they look lame in t-pose. Auron is my favorite.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14

SazhKatzroy.jpg

Sorry for derailing your topic. You knew it was coming :p

so u prefer mr T!?
    ff7-barret.jpg

i agreed that mr T/barret in ff7 much more badass.

but hey, this is not the first time they use female as main character
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    They Actually said in the video that Lighting model is 30 000 polys. I would've expected twice as less. But it seems like they've got a tonn of looping for facial animation.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skankerzero: Hook me up with those models & textures man!!!
    d1ver: 30k is pretty high, i would love to get a look into how they go about their lod's.

Xsi looks so awesome, I've seen a few videos of companies having fantastic wysiwyg type setups now in xsi. Metal gear - Final Fantasy, it looks amazing - I have one mate whos swears by xsi. Never had a play with it... maybe nows the time!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Associating with a character doesn't have to mean "be like them," as rooster stated. We associate badassery with space marines, and we like badasses. Depending on the art style, the genre of the game, their back story, plight, and much more can greatly affect how much you do or do not like a character.

I can associate with a marine that was imprisoned and given another chance to prove himself by fucking up a bunch of evil bug alien creatures that're trying to destroy everything we care about.

I cannot find any interest in a 16 year old boy dressed as a fantasy (female) hooker with leg armor that always dreams of becoming a sky pirate.

And no, it's not written in a tome, but in my opinion I feel if a game is going to make a point to be more on the serious side, I want to care, if even a tiny bit, about the characters. I had nothing but negative feelings towards a lot of characters from FF12.

This isn't the topic of the thread so I'll stop :p
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is called Final Fantasy...

I play this game for the story, like I play every game. I do not have to want to be the main character to enjoy the game. I did not want to be the lowly female dwarf I played 66 hours of Dragon Age with.

I really enjoyed FFXII! Much more then X-2...

Can not wait for this!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    ebagg wrote: »
    I had to turn the sound off after a minute, them repeatedly going OoOOoOoOOoOoOoO AHHHHHHHH WOOOOOAHHHHHH is like nails on a chalkboard, I hope the girls on those shows have more of a purpose than just looking pretty and making noises, because clips from shows like that always annoy the hell out of me.

Damn!! That didnt turn you on? <.<
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    wow that stuff is insane, I can't believe the resolution on the characters and how many polies were in that afro!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I keep hearing how XSI is cool for viewport settings (wireframe opacity as a 0-100 slider) - I love how they have the face shaded, and the body with a flat white material with wireframe, super clean.

However it's sad to see how unresponsive the facial rig sliders seem to be hehe. Also it seems that they use very few targets, and no facial bone rig. Or maybe the sliders drive hidden bones?

The yellow map look like object/world space normals to me. Or maybe Tangent with no blue channel

And Im sure that diffuse will be scaled down to 512x256 in the actual game hehe

This kind of stuff really makes me want to work on single player consoles titles with tight texture budgets but no fear for 'OMG there's too many polygonz!!'
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver wrote: »
    They Actually said in the video that Lighting model is 30 000 polys. I would've expected twice as less. But it seems like they've got a tonn of looping for facial animation.

Our models in Ghostbusters were close to that.
    Egon with gear was 28,000 tris.
    His hair alone was almost 4,000.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    This kind of stuff really makes me want to work on single player consoles titles with tight texture budgets but no fear for 'OMG there's too many polygonz!!'

+ 1

My crusade for exactly that on the last game I worked on was met with equal measures of ' piss off ' and ' what are you smokin ? ' from the tech team.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I want tessellation, I'll be happy after that, for a few years.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    brown haired asian chick is hot. interesting stuff in vids but!

KAWWAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII OHHHHH
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, man, these models... they look REALLY like something. The model itself, the textures, the shaders... man! Looking so ace.

Ok. I understand how this kinda game and design isn't for everyone... but WHY do some of these hard-core Western game loving types insist on saying, "It's like they're not even trying to appeal to Western gamers."

Um. And why should they? There are plenty of great Western games being made HERE. I suggest playing those. :P We don't ALL enjoy those as much. If Japan stopped making the awesome games they made that are just so... Japanese, I don't know how much of a gamer I'd still be. You've got plenty of games made here you love, let's let those who love Japanese games enjoy those, mkay? :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    However it's sad to see how unresponsive the facial rig sliders seem to be hehe.

Probably down to the set-up crew, not XSI.

Also it seems that they use very few targets, and no facial bone rig. Or maybe the sliders drive hidden bones?
    [/quote]

I think some of the process was automated with a plugin, because I've seen fully rendered FMV's from the two different territories and the lip-synch matches the dialogue in both...kinda like Pixar rerendering a few shots in UP with different languages (stuff written on books etc.)
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree that'd it'd be nice to lift the budget on polies when building your characters. A problem with PCs, though, is that you're typically gauging hardware minimum requirements so all the older PCs can play the game, particularly with Blizzard.

Brilliant marketing but artistically limiting.

I really admire the execution of Square / Enix's work.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hai, I didnt mean a specific platform nor company. Just in general, the appeal of creative texture stretching/reusing on dense meshes, rather than lowpoly meshes causing harsh shading, being compensated by heavy uniquely painted texturing. As usual, MGS and FF series come to mind.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Gimme a lithe too big to ever use sword swinging magic wielding insane spiky haired emotional wreck asshole over a 30 tons of armor grunting only emotion is anger killing machine bald as a baby's rump asshole space marine any day.

Awesome vid!
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YOU MEAN LIGHTNING IS A DUDE? :O
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    FF has been poop since FF7 anyway :P
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikken: No, I don't mean that they're literally changing the bulk of male characters to females, I mean their design makes them appear to be female when in actuality they're male. I have no problem with having a full team of lady heroes ;D

Pior: With you bringing up MGS, would you happen to know where they documented how they managed Snake in the most recent game? At school I heard they used a real-time technique with a 360 degree turn-around with still shots and combined them somehow. I'm looking for a video / write up on the specifics of how they did it.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    wow, finally they explain why their envs look extremely crappy!

After spending 1000 drawcalls and 600.000 tris on characters there was simply nothing left for envs.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    wow, finally they explain why their envs look extremely crappy!

After spending 1000 drawcalls and 600.000 tris on characters there was simply nothing left for envs.

haha so owned. havent really paid attention to the env. i should take a look now.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some environments:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/digitalfoundry-final-fantasy-xiii-environments-study

Some of them look pretty, but when you look at the edges of everything it's all very boxy. Near the end of the video @ 1:40 it looks like FFX graphics on PS2...
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Holy shit, did I just see them jumping in that last video? Jumping? In Final Fantasy? It's about time.

@Pior. Hazardous: You can always do a character like that as a personal project. I tried to with my current project but still ended up somehow being stringent and keeping it under 10k tris.:poly136:

XSI is pretty competent, I've used it before. But it's almost too accommodating. When I started it up it asked me what kind of control scheme I wanted and loaded up maya hotkeys and camera navigation... Then everything else was pretty straightforward and easy from the get go. And for some reason that made me not want to bother using it. It didn't present me with anything new or different than Maya or Max.

Before Autodesk bought XSI they put up a bunch of really cool case studies with some developers about how they used XSI. Then Autodesk killed that site in favour of their own XSI page.

(Edit: Sadly the images are gone, only thumbnails) I managed to find the MGS 4 one archived here: http://www.cgtantra.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=203&Itemid=33

I really liked FF 12, my only gripe was that it was an extreme grind. I had to grind more in that game than any other FF game I can recall. Especially because there were two separate parties you had to level.

I'm pretty excited for this one now. It's coming out soon; early March. Should be awesome. :)
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To me, 30k tris look about right on those models. The characters from Uncharted2 were more than that supposedly. Beautiful textures and animations tho.
    I agree with Vaan looking like a girl. When I first saw pictures of him I was confused for a while whether he's dude or a woman... I don't even think it has anything to do with him made for Asian cultures cause I'm used to seeing Asian stuff. He's just... ehh.
    Lol at the "Japanese girls make noises" comments.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Frump wrote: »
    Holy shit, did I just see them jumping in that last video? Jumping? In Final Fantasy? It's about time.

@Pior. Hazardous: You can always do a character like that as a personal project. I tried to with my current project but still ended up somehow being stringent and keeping it under 10k tris.:poly136:

XSI is pretty competent, I've used it before. But it's almost too accommodating. When I started it up it asked me what kind of control scheme I wanted and loaded up maya hotkeys and camera navigation... Then everything else was pretty straightforward and easy from the get go. And for some reason that made me not want to bother using it. It didn't present me with anything new or different than Maya or Max.

Before Autodesk bought XSI they put up a bunch of really cool case studies with some developers about how they used XSI. Then Autodesk killed that site in favour of their own XSI page.

(Edit: Sadly the images are gone, only thumbnails) I managed to find the MGS 4 one archived here: http://www.cgtantra.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=203&Itemid=33

I really liked FF 12, my only gripe was that it was an extreme grind. I had to grind more in that game than any other FF game I can recall. Especially because there were two separate parties you had to level.

I'm pretty excited for this one now. It's coming out soon; early March. Should be awesome. :)

Its actually better to learn the xsi controls, the keyboard short cuts and hot keys are amazing how they are set up in the default layout, and using the maya ones just cover them up.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4735
    here's another back-up, with pictures and stuff.