Home General Discussion

How effective are game design courses?

Hi there guys.

I am currently a game design student writing my dissertation on the rise of game design degrees and their impact on the industry, and the students who take them.

I have a great deal of respect for the Polycount community so I felt that I could ask for your opinions on the subject, and get some insightful answers. (This is not to say I'm in need of things to write about).

My research question in full is "How effective are BA videogame design courses and how are they shaping the UK games industry?"

Understandably 'effective' is a highly contentious word and context sensitive in all its uses, but I feel that it's appropriate here because in my eyes there are three distinct areas to this study, they are universities, students and the game industry itself. The answer to the question clearly pivots on the various definitions of the word.
For example, a student might consider the degree effective if it clearly enhances his/her chances of employment, whereas the university may believe that being effective is not to do with gaining employment at all, but instead if the course is successful, i.e. if it persistently is a popular degree and brings in a good number of new students each year.

Not to get too distracted by semantics, I would like to know what you guys think about the state of games design as formal education and what impact its having on the industry.

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    game degrees suck. They put out alot of people with lots of expectations only to have them dashed and broke.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    They are only as effective as you want them to be, you can only learn as much as you are willing to learn.

And no one should expect everything to be handed to them in a class room, there are always going to be things you have to learn on your own, school exposes you to knowledge, then you should go seek out more for yourself.

Those who take responsibility for their own education are the ones who are successful, no matter which way they go about finding their information.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    game degrees suck. They put out alot of people with lots of expectations only to have them dashed and broke.

Righto! I started at DeVry (HAHAHAHA) in Game and Simulation programming. I regret that decision, but I'm almost done so it's too late now (I'm already 70k in the hole between Devry and previous schools I tried), I'm not wasting more money on school. If you want to do something in game design, get an English degree, or something that involves writing, that way you have something to fall back on if the industry takes a dump or gets flooded with designers :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are only as effective as you want them to be, you can only learn as much as you are willing to learn.

There are very very few degree programs worth their weight, 99% of them are taught by people not in the industry with old information you can readily get elsewhere on the net for free or via sites like gnomon, digitaltutors, eat3d, etc... none of the schools out there are worth $70k to $100k+ for a degree in games. It's just simple economics the knowledge to money expenditure is just too great it's way out of whack, and here in the states if the loans are causing you to go into bankruptcy too bad, they don't count and will follow you because they can't be waived via bankruptcy. I'm paying $200 a month in interest alone on my school loans, that's ridiculous. Game design courses are the devil and are predatory. These schools get people in and get paid 'by the seat' each school rep gets paid commision on each seat filled. You pay exorbitant fees to a school where you can get 90% of the education on your own. The other 10% you can get by working with a mod team.

I have a bachelors in Computer Animation and it simply wasn't worth the cash. Thankfully I had an IT background to fall back on if something changes, and a great wife with a great job helping pay off my school loans.

Is school good for those that may not have the will to do it for themselves? Sure, but I saw just as many kids in school paying for classes and failing and didn't care. I saw folks putting their school loans on credit cards and getting into tremendous debt for this wonderful promise of a 'game job' when they graduated and luckily I knew about polycount and worked hard and got a job via networking on this site or I'd still be out of work as well. I saw people while in school playing WoW instead of doing their work.. It made me sick thinking of paying 1200 for a semester for one class and playing a game when I should be learning. :D

Either way, I see your point but I think you are an exception. The majority of folks won't graduate. Out of a class of about 30 only about 5 are expected to actually graduate.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is school good for those that may not have the will to do it for themselves? Sure, but I saw just as many kids in school paying for classes and failing and didn't care. I saw folks putting their school loans on credit cards and getting into tremendous debt for this wonderful promise of a 'game job' when they graduated and luckily I knew about polycount and worked hard and got a job via networking on this site or I'd still be out of work as well. I saw people while in school playing WoW instead of doing their work.. It made me sick thinking of paying 1200 for a semester for one class and playing a game when I should be learning. :D

Either way, I see your point but I think you are an exception. The majority of folks won't graduate. Out of a class of about 30 only about 5 are expected to actually graduate.

Example of this: Devry teaches people how to make games in Torque (not the new one, the OLD engine). I had programming classes in High School, I learned more in High school than I did at Devry, mainly because 90% of my professors had no idea about games.

The best advice I can give you after my 5 year journey after high school: Join a mod team. I learned more working with Warm Gun than I have anywhere else.
  • KateC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KateC polycounter lvl 7
    I had applied to a game design course last year, and while the reputation of the school was quite good, it seemed as though grads coming out of the program had been taught with more of a 'jack of all trades' approach. It wasn't specifically dedicated to any one career path, and that's where I think it could potentially fall down the stairs. Learning bits and pieces about different jobs in the industry doesn't really compare to sitting down and learning to do one aspect really well.

Also it was $30,000 a year, which in this economy is a little like a punch in the mouth.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13

I'll agree with you. I did a 3 year game degree. My course director at the time had no idea what he was doing, never worked at a single game studio.. never even worked on a game as far as I know.

Every time I look at my degree I laugh and shake my head.

If your going to pursue a game design course. Do your self a favor and research the school and who is running the program. Make sure they are qualified to run such a course.

edit -
    This is true. While my class was small to begin with, only 8 out of 18 graduated.
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally I agree with Firecracker197 in that its more of a supplement to personal ambition and are really only as good as you make it yourself. That being said, there are many, many institutions out there that unscrupulously take advantage of students naivety and that will only continue.

I find the correlation between the general accepted traits of publishers (to discourage innovation because its safer not to) and the reluctance of developers to hire graduates, who have been marked on innovation for their entire university 'career'. I don't know if there's genuinely anything in that, but it's an interesting thought nonetheless.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are very very few degree programs worth their weight, 99% of them are taught by people not in the industry with old information you can readily get elsewhere on the net for free or via sites like gnomon, digitaltutors, eat3d, etc... none of the schools out there are worth $70k to $100k+ for a degree in games. It's just simple economics the knowledge to money expenditure is just too great it's way out of whack, and here in the states if the loans are causing you to go into bankruptcy too bad, they don't count and will follow you because they can't be waived via bankruptcy. I'm paying $200 a month in interest alone on my school loans, that's ridiculous. Game design courses are the devil and are predatory. These schools get people in and get paid 'by the seat' each school rep gets paid commision on each seat filled. You pay exorbitant fees to a school where you can get 90% of the education on your own. The other 10% you can get by working with a mod team.

I have a bachelors in Computer Animation and it simply wasn't worth the cash. Thankfully I had an IT background to fall back on if something changes, and a great wife with a great job helping pay off my school loans.

I totally agree with you here, I know all about the debt, and all about the outdated teaching, but I will not deny that I didn't know ANYTHING about games or modeling or 3d before I came to school. If I hadn't gone to school I wouldn't have known where to even look for places like polycount or anything. I was a naive 18 year old with a dream to be an artist and no idea how to make that possible. School made that possible for me, and even though it was totally not worth the amount of money I paid for it, it did get me somewhere.

I'm just sick and tired of hearing all these people that do manage to graduate blame their school for their lack of success. It is their fault for not taking responsibility for what they need to know, and building on what the school gives them, even if it is minimal. I hear just as many success stories as I do failures and the only thing that separates these two kinds of people is their drive and passion to no let anything stop them, not debt, not a shitty school, nothing.

But about the price of education yes, thats total BS but its only this way because our government has allowed it to get this way, and hopefully that is changing.

But if you are 18 and you do manage to know more that I did at that age and you feel like you can learn what you need to know without school and have enough self discipline to do that then more power to you!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    They are as effective as helicopter ejector seats

5fjho6.jpg
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Part of the issue is the relative immaturity of the video game industry. It's only existed for about thirty years or so. And its development throughout those thirty years has been incredibly rapid. Game development today is almost nothing like it was when games were first being developed.

Because of this, there are precious few established standards that have persisted. Many of the older developers from the early days no longer make games. And their instruction would not be relevant given the current nature of game development. Most of the people who would be qualified to "teach" game development are currently in the games industry, and probably don't have any plans of leaving. (game development usually pays better than teaching)

The only way that a modern game development university could both function, and provide current instruction, is for it to act as a game development studio itself. A game studio that was run by a team of experienced designers, and all the employees were students.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    what's meant by game design here by the way? like, learning to be a game designer? design documents, prototypes, that sort of thing?

or are we talking about game art design, modelling, textureing etc?

edit: btw Richard: from what I could gather my university lecturers were on a pretty good wage, lecuring certainly didn't seem like that unattractive a prospect apart from the danger of losing touch with the industry. One of my co-workers recently took up a lecturing gig, and he doesnt seem to be complaining.

It sounds to me like there's a little disparity in america versus UK (which the dissertation is on), I certainly don't get the predatory vibe from our institutions (I may be wrong), although I can agree with the sentiment there is generally far too little direct industry involvement with the courses
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm specifically talking about Bachelor of Arts degrees, but they encompass a massive range of subjects, including art. The lack of definition is in itself a problem, one that many institutions suffer from.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    DarthNater wrote: »
    Devry teaches people how to make games in Torque (not the new one, the OLD engine). I.

OMG! I am so sorry. :(
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Matt: not sure I follow about lack of definition, are you saying too many courses try to do both? Its not hard to find BA degrees targetted specifically at game design or art. Of course I haven't done them, so I don't know, but if one place does an art degree and a game design degree, it doesnt seem likely they would confuse the two.

i guess it's smaller places which don't have the two degrees seperately which are the issue?
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    OMG! I am so sorry. :(

Yes, I really REALLY wish I wouldn't have even started there. If I absolutely had to start over, I would have went to Full Sail (because I need an online solution, when I started at Devry, Full Sail didn't have their online program). I hear a statement a while back and I think it's completely true: "If you see a TV commercial for a school, don't go there"
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    the course that i am in (DAE) gives pretty up to date information when it comes to gamedevelopment i think.
    But its a new course + here in belgium we practicly pay nothing to get educated ( 750 euros max or so for people who pay the full price and licenses included. i payed about 200 euro this year)

anyway our teachers are young people who also look at the new things that are on the market so i would`t say that the things we learn are useless especially if you consider the price.

Now if i`d have to pay $70k for it i wouldn`t take the course :p
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Taking a game design course directly led me to discovering my career goal. That goal is priceless and I think it was definitely worth paying the massive debt to find it.

But if you already had a goal of becoming a game artist before going to uni, then I believe taking a game design course would be useless. If you wanted a degree and the "uni experience", there are loads of other courses to take which would be more useful and not feel like a waste of money.

The majority of folks won't graduate. Out of a class of about 30 only about 5 are expected to actually graduate.

Not true, the majority of people do graduate, they just won't get a job anywhere near the games industry. Especially game design courses, they are so easy to pass that you'd have to try to fail on purpose :p
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    While I do agree with some of the things said in this thread and all games courses have their share of problems, there are some positives. I'm currently on my first year of games design at Northumbria University. While I am not learning anything I haven't already knew, for a vast amount of people this is a first contact with the "technical" side of games industry.

It is true that some of them will probably leave the course midway through and many will think that THIS is how you make games. But those who develop some sort of interest and motivation can expand their horizons in their free time (and considering that most of my friends are living off loans, they have plenty of it). I'm pretty sure that if they didn't go to university, they would be probably working their asses off - and it's really hard to motivate yourself to learn when you work full time.

There's plenty of bulshitting though and some of the modules are completely irrelevant. Photography and proper behaviour in a TV studio? I fail to see a connection to the games industry. Nevertheless, I have heard plenty of times that universities are reluctant to create “games only” courses, hence why there’s some general crap mixed in.

Personally, I do see some positives in me staying there; though my background is probably slightly different than most. Being a Polish-immigrant-scum I have received a one-in-life chance of getting myself a sexy English accent; no woman will ever want a guy who speaks like a lawnmower combined with a dishwasher. Had I stayed in my country, I would hardly have a chance to stay in touch with the language. But here I have a chance to grow up being accustomed to living abroad; something that’s very often a part of the deal in this biz.

A degree will be a bonus if I ever decide to leave the EU; a recent thread reassured me that this paper might be worth something after all. Furthermore, I’ve seen some job postings before, which had game design degree listed a as a requirement. I have no hopes of receiving this kind of position, right after I graduate (reason why I picked up modelling), but diploma might become useful once I get some work experience.

I do not expect to learn much here, apart from maintaining some sort of discipline and getting a test of social-life I wouldn’t have if I stayed in my basement pimping my portfolio. But I do have a chance to talk with people about the stuff I love and that keeps me motivated.

Just some general thoughts, hope they were somewhat relevant :p

Rooster: Slightly off topic; but I've been meaning to ask someone from the local companies about it. What's your opinion on my university and its graduates? From what I've heard, the local companies (Mere Mortals, Eutechnyx and Ubi Reflections) have been working somewhat closely with us.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    you`ll get out of it what you put in. no course will be perfect. If you have the motivation and drive to learn it all on your own, then do it. I find school helps keep me working. sure, i half ass the assignemnts i dont like, but i put in ALOT on the ones that i do like, and it shows. but, you have to come on sites like this as well to see what you SHOULD be learning, so that if you dont actually learn it in the school, you can watch some tutorials and put it towards your school work.

I find that if people are in a bad program, they`ll blame their lack of skill on the program, even though they have everything at their finger tips (internet) to learn everything they need to know.

so, if you need a little push to get you to do some work. go for it. just, do your research first like brandoom said. and dont follow EXACTLY what teachers want you to do. if you think they are teaching something wrong, sacrifice your marks for a better piece of work.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also think that even if schools in the US at least have been turned into money making corporations, there is still hope for students if that school individually makes efforts to get people from the community involved.

I know that the Art Institute corporate office doesn't give a shit if we have teachers currently in the industry or not, but I know that the head of the Animation department at the Art Institute of Dallas sure did. Since I started school he brought in 3 new teachers who had recently or currently were working in the industry and that definitely helped a lot of people out.

There are local workshops and meetings going on constantly here in Dallas and I know that I always knew about them at school. There were lots of efforts from people in the community to organize and give students a chance to network and learn from professionals, and if someone in every city did this and got involved with schools in the area then everyone could share that same experience.

Because sure we could sit around all day and complain how the system is flawed, and how we don't get enough from our education. OR we could start DOING something about it!
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because sure we could sit around all day and complain how the system is flawed, and how we don't get enough from our education. OR we could start DOING something about it!

THIS..............IS............POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYCCCCOOOOOOOOUUUUUNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I couldn't resist...
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    300 is so 5 minutes ago.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha yeah but im talking about getting out from behind a computer screen every once an awhile, and maybe you know hosting an event or something, it takes a lot of work, but it can be done.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are local workshops and meetings going on constantly here in Dallas and I know that I always knew about them at school.

Tony took Diverge down to Austin with him. :(
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There isn't many workshops or meetings in Kansas. :(
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe we could use IRC? Kinda doesn't get us away from the computer though...
  • serialkiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    They are as effective as helicopter ejector seats

5fjho6.jpg

Just had to LOOOOOOOOOOOL
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe we could use IRC? Kinda doesn't get us away from the computer though...

lots of us are on irc.freenode.net #model_design
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lots of us are on irc.freenode.net #model_design

Good to know. Now I can annoy more people with my retarded questions :P
  • mayaterror
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I teach game design at an institution that has not yet been mentioned here. I fully agree with most of these posts - for $70K - $80K for a Bachelor's is outrageous - I got my Master's from a traditional university for less than $30K - less than a decade ago. However, my degree is not in "Game Design" but in "Technology," which is much more generalized. What I actually studied in college was 3DS, Maya, Photoshop, Freehand, Traditional Illustration, and video editing. All of my game design knowledge has been self-taught, building upon what I learned with 2D/3D CG.
    What a lot of people don't get is that for many of the students that attend these institutions, it's their only chance to get this knowledge. Many of them have talent and desire but don't have the ACT or SAT scores to get into a traditional university. Should that disqualify them from developing their talents? No. Unfortuantely, though, this kind of for-profit educational system produces a lot of inconsistiencies. That can include teachers that don't know their subject or degree-holding graduates that couldn't model a crate or UV unwrap a barrel. Ultimately, as has been said by several in this thread already, you will get out of your education what you put into it, and it's only a springboard to more knowledge.
    I'll admit that I've never drawn a paycheck from a game company, or even worked on a released title. But I can mod a lot of games, use a number of game engines, and create quality game art for both 2D and 3D platforms. And that's a hell of a lot more than anyone here could do before I got my job. The game design program was in the toilet when I arrived and I have successfully turned it around, as evidenced by a nearly 100% attendance rate and exceptional student evaluations. But what about all the other campuses? It really chafes me when I think that so many other institutions are probably in the same or worse shape as I found this one. However, there's very little I can do to change the corporate beast, so I choose to focus on my own corner of the world.
    So to wrap up, you have to get that knowledge somewhere, and for many, watching a 13-year old on YouTube show you how to UV Unwrap isn't cutting it. Those people should go to school to learn more. On the flip side, if you found yourself able to figure out 3DS or Maya or UnrealEd without much help, you probably don't need a game design degree. You should still get a more generalized degree or even a computer science degree. There are many problems with the state of game education, but ultimately, if it's really that important to you, you will do whatever it takes to learn the trade. Finding a job in the industry is a completely different story - however, there are very few degree programs in ANY field that guarantee placement. It's still up to you to get out there, sell yourself and your portfolio, move to a state or country that actually has game companies, and have the sheer will to make your dreams a reality.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

goddamnit Jeremy! >_<

Also. I don't care about your degree. Just talent and personality.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doh.. i broke the first rule of #model_design.. damn
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Mayaterror summed it up well. A lot of going to school is a roll of the dice unless you do the homework to make sure you get the most bang for your time and money. There are some schools that can prepare you, there are some that don't do such a good job. Some students are good enough they can flourish in any environment, others can't pull it off given every opportunity and there's a lot of grey area as to whether education is worth it or not because of this.

More directly though, the "Game Design" bit of any degree can be bit of a joke. If you want to break in and earn some money making games, you need a tangible skill that will help in the creation of games, be it programming, animation, art, rigging, etc. People with big ideas for games are literally everywhere. Companies don't hire inexperienced people for these positions and most all designers script and get their actual hands on the game, they don't sit around in a room telling people to make a game that isn't technically possible, they're directly ingrained in its development.

If you want to do game design, i would highly recommend learning to program/ script first in a common engine. No one's going to sit around and make your ideas happen for you. You need to get yourself to a level with game engines that you can make your own stuff. The game design degree is too often just a bunch of fluff without giving students the tools to produce portfolio pieces that will get them a job.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18

Heh. If you think we have too much off topic here....
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's pretty interesting to see you guys' point of view on this. Especially considering that many of you are working in the industry already.

If anyone is interested in reading my wip dissertation then send me a message. I'm always happy to have a discussion.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I've noticed a trend of actual designers being more positive on game design degrees. So the degrees that focus on game design instead of the hodgpodge programming/animation/modeling/design degrees some of the schools teach.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    highly agree with crazyfingers on the game design point. If you don't know least a bit of detail about what games are doing under the bonnet, chances are you won't be able to design them effectively. As far as I understand most designers come from programming or art backgrounds, not just.. from nowhere
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    rooster wrote: »
    As far as I understand most designers come from programming or art backgrounds, not just.. from nowhere

This is one of the areas where a place like Polycount really helps. Someone from a tech background who isn't familiar with some art basics can learn a lot here. And someone who comes from more of a Studio art background probably wouldn't be familiar with a lot of the tech standards that go into proper game modeling. (polycounts, edge loops, proper edge flow, UV optimization, etc...) If you can sculpt crazy-well, but you can't construct a properly optimized low-poly mesh to apply that sculpture to, you aren't much use to most game companies.

My time with polycount has been valuable because I get criticism on the artistic and technical aspects of my work.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I've noticed a trend of actual designers being more positive on game design degrees. So the degrees that focus on game design instead of the hodgpodge programming/animation/modeling/design degrees some of the schools teach.

I've noticed this as well; I thought at first that it was only my impression though. More so, I've been browsing through job postings on Gamasutra a while ago and I've noticed that some of them had game design degrees listed as either requirement or benefit. While I'm sure that most of these courses do not meet industry's standards yet, it seems that they are slowly improving.

Part of my course (the one which is actually related to the games industry ;)) is done very well and I've been so far impressed with the knowledge of my tutors.
  • mickyg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickyg polycounter lvl 7
    Why is it that so many 'game design' courses teach you a bit of this and a bit of that, some programming, some animation, some business etc.

Why can't game design courses actually focus on design? Is there anywhere that actually teaches you how to construct a level for maximum playability, or how to fit all the pieces together for a compelling game?

It's like a graphic design course teaching you nothing but how to use Photoshop. Sure, it's related to graphic design, but it's not actually teaching you how to design...

For what it's worth to the OP, I did a degree in Animation and while it helped me to get a job it was basically useless as far as skills go. I learnt more after I finished through the use of forums and training DVDs.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Mickyg: The reason they teach "a bit of this and a bit of that including somewhat programming" is because those things are combined project in the final semester. They will teach you how to create a level and impliment it in an engine at certain point (Some are UDK basic tutorials.) The rest relies on what you have learned and your ideas.
  • Campaignjunkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    As far as I understand it: diploma mills like DeVry and Westwood or whatever are going to be generally "ineffective" no matter how you slice it.

But as for the "effective" game design schools, I think it depends on your idea of effectiveness: for production and career placement, I hear Digipen and Guildhall are good... but for an artistic, experimental, theoretical leaning, I hear USC is great, and ITU Copenhagen, Parsons, SCAD, CMU and MIT are pretty good in their own right too.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    I am currently a game design student writing my dissertation on the rise of game design degrees and their impact on the industry, and the students who take them.
    Honestly, my first response to this was 'how does writing a dissertation on game design degrees apply to a game design education?'

That could count as my answer, I think.

Frank the Avenger
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How effective are game design courses?
    Design, art, programing, management? You're holding up a big umbrella there by saying "Game Design" and a lot of things take shelter under that umbrella. All of them have their pros and cons and school factors in differently.

It really depends on what your goals are. I find that most people find a school that meets their needs.
    If a person wants to just clock time while paying cash for a worthless degree, they find the school to do that.
    If the person wants an actual education that will help them grow and actually get a job they'll find the right place to do that.

As far as art and animation go, how they get to an awesome portfolio is up to them, just don't expect to get by without it.
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank wrote: »
    Honestly, my first response to this was 'how does writing a dissertation on game design degrees apply to a game design education?'

That could count as my answer, I think.

Frank the Avenger

Haha, you win.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I was asked to consult on a "game design" curriculum for a university here in Maryland. Now this is a pretty large and well established university, but it was obvious they were mostly looking to "jump aboard" with this whole game dev thing; and they have horrible ideas about what the industry is and isn't.

Now, As someone who hires people, I say that Portfolio is king for artists.

"Game designer", is not an entry level job, and It's obvious that schools are not disclosing that tidbit because it's harder to sell you on working for years in various lower level tasks, only to end up a designer on some small part of the game.

Game design is not all sitting around coming up with characters and stories; it's massive amounts of work detailing functional specifications and solving both technical and functional/artistic problems. Game dev schools keep trying to shove the "FUN" of it in your face, and I feel generally not preparing you for the work of it.

They make it sound like you graduate, then get hired as Will Wright; to make your game the way you want. It's just not true, and I can't help but lose respect for a lot of these programs because of that. Oh, and the "pew pew, tighten up the gfx" commercials don't help.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK wrote: »
    Oh, and the "pew pew, tighten up the gfx" commercials don't help.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwlE1aASc4g[/ame]

Can you believe we get paid to do this?