Home Technical Talk

3D seam painting in Photoshop CS4?

I was really excited to hear about CS4's new 3D capabilities, because seams have always been my biggest problem while texturing. However, I am really disappointed.

I'm doing a hand-painted texture and I'm trying to paint over the obvious seams. For some reason Photoshop is not cooperating. It looks as if the seam is still there, even after painting over it!

If anyone has had this problem, what did you do? Any advice would be great... Thanks.

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    this is also a uv problem... stretched uvs could also causing seams...
    are your uvs clean and all in the same world scale..?

for 3d texturing i would recommend mudbox at this time... cause its really easy to learn...
    and its able to paint across more than one texture at a time...
    and in the upcomming version its getting a texturing boost as well...
  • lymiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu wrote: »
    this is also a uv problem... stretched uvs could also causing seams...
    are your uvs clean and all in the same world scale..?

My UVs are all the correct, corresponding size to one another, and the checker pattern looks undistorted.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    any other maps on it... normal or spec maps...
    a special shader..?
  • lymiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu wrote: »
    any other maps on it... normal or spec maps...
    a special shader..?

There's just a 512 x 512 diffuse map with a transparency map.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    may i see a screenshot of the seam...
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    I get it too sometimes, White dots or black dots where the program trys to do something. I dunno but it looks a little like where you try to use the smudge too in a area that is half selected.

Try merging your layers to a single background layer and making your background and foreground colours the same.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    How it looks in photoshop's document has a LOT to do with how your lighting is set up. It doesn't handle vertex normals like some game engines do so its a little more susceptable to displaying the seams...
    Biggest suggestion is to be on your 3d layer, click the 3d scene button in the 3d pallette, the click on "render style" then change the face style to "unlit texture" so you can see how your seams actually are in the diffuse.
    interesting timing though, I was just going to make my "3d texturing in photoshop" video tutorial today.
  • lymiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, sorry I took so long in replying. The model I'm having the issue with is under an NDA, so I'm making a sample on the seam of a personal model of mine. And the "unlit texture" setting is on both models.

sampleSeam.png

The problem I'm having is the seam makes it look as though the two sides aren't meeting up by a mere pixel or two. I can't understand why this is happening? And, is it a problem? Should it look flawless?

Ooh, a 3D texturing tutorial would be great! Let me know when it's done, Vailias.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is your texture square?
    Is that arm mirrored? The uvs could be offset.

I know I have encountered that problem during my time texturing in cs4 but I cant remember if I found a solution or I just went with it.
  • lymiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is your texture square?
    Is that arm mirrored? The uvs could be offset.

I know I have encountered that problem during my time texturing in cs4 but I cant remember if I found a solution or I just went with it.

Believe it or not, the UVs are lying exactly on top of one another, so it shouldn't be that sort of issue.

Yeah, I might just have to "go with it" if I can't figure out how to get rid of it... I believe I fixed my issue of the brush tool creating a crispy-looking stroke, but that's because it was set to 8-bits per channel instead of 16.

Oh, and what did you mean by my "texture square"?
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lymiller wrote: »
    Oh, and what did you mean by my "texture square"?
    Is your texture a power of two?

eg: 128x128, 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048?

you can also work in rectangles as long as its using those sizes.

Eg. 128x256, 1024x512
    lymiller wrote: »
    Believe it or not, the UVs are lying exactly on top of one another, so it shouldn't be that sort of issue.

For a test try editing the UV so that the arms are not on top of each other and see if the problem still happens. It could be a mirroring/overlapping UV problem.