Home General Discussion

Viewport image distortion.

Alright, I'm trying to insert the blueprints into my top, left, and front viewports using alt+b and whenever I use the mousewheel to zoom in and out to adjust the verts, the image will either stretch or squash.

I need to have a high and low poly version done in 2 weeks and I'm trying to get a head start on it, but I can't quite figure out what the problem is.

Here is a screenshot of what I mean, as well as the options I used when I imported the images to the viewport.

http://yfrog.com/7f3dmaxproblemj

Anybody have any clue what's going on?

Replies

• griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you press Alt + B, and load the file, check the "Lock Zoom/Pan" option. That'll do it.

Edit: Ahh, you have it checked already in the screenshot.. hmm.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    background image has always been buggy in max..I get better results just using planes.....

you fail at putting things in the right forum
  • Figroti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is checked, which is why I don't understand why this is happening. The options I have selected are included in the screenshot that I took.

Also, the image doesn't distort as I zoom in and out, instead it will distort once and then stay distorted regardless of how I zoom.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Why not just use planes and avoid this issue for now if you have a tight deadline?
  • Figroti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor wrote: »
    background image has always been buggy in max..I get better results just using planes.....

you fail at putting things in the right forum

Yeah, I realized that after I posted it, my fault. Sorry about that.

As for using planes, I haven't learned that method. I'm in my second 3d class (I've taken principles of 3d, and I'm currently in Low Poly).

I'm assuming I would just import the image as a material and drag it onto vertical planes? Anything special that I should have checked?
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Figroti wrote: »
    Yeah, I realized that after I posted it, my fault. Sorry about that.

As for using planes, I haven't learned that method. I'm in my second 3d class (I've taken principles of 3d, and I'm currently in Low Poly).

I'm assuming I would just import the image as a material and drag it onto vertical planes? Anything special that I should have checked?

That is correct sir.

You want to make sure you create your plane the same dimensions as your image...for example if your image is 289x300 pixels...you make your plane that same size. Use the blueprint as a diffuse then just throw that material on that plane.
  • Figroti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Though it's not quite as simple to do as working in the viewports (or maybe it just takes some getting used to), it's definitely a better alternative than eyeing it up.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    A couple of other advices about reference images on planes:

- Can increase material Self-Illumination up to 100 to make it read better regardless viewport orientation, and adjust Opacity as well if you need it.

- Can put the reference image planes on a different layer than actual model and freeze the whole layer to prevent the selection. To make the image show when layer is frozen, select the planes, right click, choose Object Properties from the quad and uncheck Show Frozen in Gray.