Home General Discussion

Just saw this post on GA.. aka 'The get fired up for DW thread'

I don't frequent GA enough to know the level of sincerity in this guys post, but it's definitely inspiring some early sense of competition in DW V.
Oh, and yeah, GA all the way. I tried going on other forums, but I dunno, they just don't feel like home. They feel so rigid and square. Especially Polycount. It felt like being the one straight person in a gay-pride parade wink.gif

I've always found Polycount to be a much better forum all round. Yeah you get some straight-talking people giving harsh crit, but that's what one wants right? The one nice thing about PC is that it doesn't matter how many posts you've chalked up or what your standard of work is... you'll get some comments and make some friends from the get go. GA is just one big cliquey cluster fuck... you're pretty much invisible until you've hit 1000 posts.

Replies

• Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    He must have visited on a day where there were 5 birthday threads. :)
    oh... here we go again with nutsack avatars and bad shopped spoodge doppings... maybe we'll even have another tank drawing comp
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    GA suffers from the splitting things up too much school of bad forum-design.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    GA(cgchat) and polycount were the only contestants in the first domwar, so there's some kind of mini competition inside the competition, legacy that's it, it's internets, nothing serious, you'll see a lot of this coming up during the domwar, etc.

oh and just in advance, the domwar start will be delayed, it's written in the prophecy so, please, nobody moan about it, again, for the 5th consecutive year, kthx, oh yeah, results will be delayed, too, maybe by months, thanks
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GA wears panties
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the replies.

I didn't join Polycount, or get into game art until after DWIV so this year will be my first. I'm unaware of a lot of the rivalry/running jokes/well known facts etc, it's all pretty damn exciting though!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moaning about delays is inevitable, and unfortunately unavoidable... look at that Comicon thread... good gravy
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    we do have a beautiful men thread, maybe he felt threatened by that..
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I like GA.org, a lot. I'd go there more often, but every time I visit it feels so cluttered and overwhelming. I don't know if it's because the amount of different boards they have or the fact that all the content is new to me there every time I go because I don't go consistently lol. They have a nice setup and some good people though.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    POLYCOUNTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT~
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    There are less people at GA who are into the technical stuff than Polycount so when someone asks a workflow/software question, there's less replies to learn from.
    One of the main reasons I hang around here is because of the people who frequently post in the tech talk forum.

Polycount GD generally has a bit more off-topic discussions and more "heated" debates, while GA is a lot "nicer" and friendly. People at GA typically treat eachother more respectfully/formally like everyone was a stranger (kind of like Japanese culture), whereas Polycounters talk to eachother more casually (kind of like... "pub" culture :p)
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    You know what grinds my gears? You, Game Artisans! Fuck you!

:)
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    we do have a beautiful men thread, maybe he felt threatened by that..

Maybe they felt bad because we didn't include them in that thread. But I mean, we have Ely for god sakes, and ladymen don't come prettier.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    you guys really produce alota gay talk (whatever manbabyies are that someone wants to give renderjhs) when someone has remarkable skills

and thats all
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    without GA, Polycount would be just half the fun !!

Me likes GA .. but I don't have time to browse more then one forum .. so I stick with pc ;)

(and we need them to make heavy dirty war with them :D )
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    GA is all characters and all comps as far as I see. I posted a car there once, barely anybody cared. I dunno, the place seems too uptight with all their awards and competitions and whatever.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i don't visit sites who can't even win a contest they helped start.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like GA, the people are great, the art is pretty good, but like Justin pointed out the design is a little cluttered and fractured. Stuff that should have been ironed out years ago.
    • Do they really need an entire sub-forum for GA.org suggestions? (I would post this stuff in the suggestions forum if I thought anyone would read it)
    • On the home page the link to the forum index is called "homepage".
    • The forum nav is wonky.
      • The GA.org banner takes you to the main page not the forum index. Ok use the quick forum links instead... fine.
      • The quick nav under the ad banner is inconsistent.
        • GameArtistsans> Main Forum > General Discussion. Clicking Main Forums takes you back to only GD and Suggestions... To get back to the main forum list you need to click GameArtistsans, which you might think takes you back to the home page...
        • It wouldn't be so bad if the other sub-forums didn't link back to the main forum index appropriately by bypassing the sub-forum catagory. GameArtistsans > TechTalk. Only choice is GameArtistsans, which doesn't make sense but its the only choice.
    • Is segregating the 2D/3D/Zbrush really necessary? Who doesn't have an interest in seeing all 3 forms of art? Coupled with the funky nav it just takes more time and ultimately a sub forum gets skipped because of it.
    All of these things are only slightly annoying and the board makes up for it in other ways, but shouldn't little quirks like that be ironed out? The blue key goes in the orange door and I push the block under the balloon to light the fire under water?
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    I would say that Polycount does have a lot of rigidity... but I haven't exactly spent a lot of time on other forums.

one theme in particular is that those things which have a use that isn't IMMEDIATELY apparent (to some overly rational person) are repressed or in other ways devalued. embracing things that are different is how people grow as human beings, and yes, as artists.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree the navigation is a bit silly.

The first few times I visited I got to the homepage and spent far longer than necessary trying to figure out how to actually get to the forums.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    penis or gtfo!

er, I mean tits
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Wanna know why do i like PC? Because here, if you posted some stuff and received good replies, it really means something. I can not stand the hypocrisy, i choose polychans)))
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John, you had me at "rigid"
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    I don't want to put blame on anyone, so I just assume I'm dumb...

After hearing around about a lot of mini/small/smart/whatnot competitions on this and that running on GA, I decided to take a peek and maybe join something, just for fun... Well, you can read "comp" everywhere on their site, but I actually couldn't figure out what are the current open competitions, (while archived are right there staring back at you), and how am I supposed to apply/where should I post/where open a personal thread.

In the end GA made me even dumber...
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    heh, gameartisans. meh
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    We aren't very PC here at polycount.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i had about 1000 posts on cgchat. I think have two on GA....
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    It felt like being the one straight person in a gay-pride parade wink.gif

I dont agree with that comment but FUCKING LOL!!!! :D
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well polycount makes you rigid:) what other glowing reference do you need?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    SyncViewS wrote: »
    Well, you can read "comp" everywhere on their site, but I actually couldn't figure out what are the current open competitions, (while archived are right there staring back at you), and how am I supposed to apply/where should I post/where open a personal thread.
    It's not as complicated as it looks - the main competitions, Comicon, Unearthly and Dominance War (there hasn't been any other in a long time) get their own specific forum, as you can see with the Unearthly forum. Comicon got a fancy site where you had to upload a thumbnail and it would create a forum thread for you, but I'm not sure how DW and UC do this.
    The Mini Comps are posted as stickies in the 3D/2D/ZBrush forums, but more importantly, you can find them in the Highlighted Threads thingie on the right side of the forum index. Since there are four competitions running, the 3D Mini Pawn has been pushed off now, but it's the first time I've seen that happen. Everything should be explained in the introductionary post of every Mini, and you just all post in one big thread.

That six-panel competition thing is really all I visit GameArtisans for. Polycount doesn't often have competitions (although they're as good as GA's when they do get held), while GA pretty much always has a 3D and a sculpting mini going on. The forums themselves are rather empty and it's rare to find some in-depth critique or paintovers.
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not sure if the person who posted that is a "professional" or not, but if he's fairly new to 3D (like me), I can understand what he means. Or I could misunderstand. Anyways, his "description" fits for me, even though his metaphor might not be meant in that way.

I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to 3D and game development, so I sort of feel "out of place", you know what I mean? I guess a sheep in a wolf's lair (den?) might be a better metaphor. :D

EDIT: I will say that this is a fantastic forum and community, though. I learn something new and useful every day, and most of you seem extremely helpful! So, thanks!
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks Zwebbie for the explanation, I'll try to put a little more effort, but, you know, I already have to dig information from coding helpfiles, SDKs and books, I don't expect to have to do the same for a forum that seems to be bad designed to begin with. But hey, I know I'm picky.

Uh, another thing I don't really understand/like from GA, but it's the same in 3DTotal: the medal/trophy system. What? Do you really need a patch to show how good you are? Alright, I'm being a little envious too, just gimme that "scripting tin cup" :D
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    OMG, i have to avoid hyping myself for DW this year. :P But damn you, i want it to start soon. I just need to fix the earths rotation so I get 32 h-day/nightcycles instead. :D stupid 24h-limits.
  • JackyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JackyBoy polycounter lvl 10
    While I haven't posted much here at polycount it is one of the main forums I visit. But I have to agree with the OP, I was intimidated to post at first. It seemed the everyone seemed to know each other. So seemed as though my posts wouldn't be noticed enough, or that's how it came across.

But now I have come to realise that I shouldn't be a soppy bollocks, and if someone says something offensive just laugh at it. The art on this forum is better than any other really, plus some of the threads on the technical forum are amazing.

Long live Polycounters, the in-joking, offensive, talented individuals
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been here for since May 08, and feel no need to even register at other forums. I find art, tech talk, and everything else I need.

I hit up CG Talk for a little bit, found Polycount, stopped looking.

Polycount is my home! :)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    polycount sucks! D;<
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    No way in hell am I getting excited for any more GA competitions until Comiccon and UC 2009 are sorted out.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    wtf is a polycount?
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    comicon is a done deal (5 months later)... now the wait for UC
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah what the hell, I thought the Unearthly results would've been out a month ago, but there isn't an update on the site to be found since the deadline extension ... lame.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    I LIK PEN...PIE! I LIKE PIE!
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    i only go to GA to check out the competitions by walrus and josh. everything else is... not so interesting.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Ga is my kitchen and Polycount is my Bathroom. I need both.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    Ga is my kitchen and Polycount is my Bathroom. I need both.

Well thanks for shitting all over us Josh! We really appreciate it.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I found GA before I found myself on Polycount (besides one isolated incident where I went to polycount before I was much of a modeler and it was old style), but around the time of DW IV I started browsing over here because of the cross forum stuff. And what I saw amazed me.

Since then I've almost matched my post count here to over there and I definitely spend a lot longer reading, learning and browsing Polycount. I still go back to GA for the mini-comps and people, but a lot of the people from over there are migrating over here anyway.:)

Bookmark the forum index and just to to WIP 3d/zbrush and General Discussion. I never hit any other links, because the navigation is so weird.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Well thanks for shitting all over us Josh! We really appreciate it.

No I thank polycount for giving me a place to shit. I also shower brush my teeth and get nekkid here. Artistically speaking of course.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    I was just over at Game Artisans last night and they were saying you guys don't know how to party...

...also they told me you guys look like dorks.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    I swing both ways :)

DWV will have me migrate to PC though.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 wrote: »
    I was just over at Game Artisans last night and they were saying you guys don't know how to party...

...also they told me you guys look like dorks.

Tell them they're all fat!!