Home General Discussion

Schooling

Hello,

I have been interested in an online school. Does anyone have any experience with them (This is a in Canadian in province distance online learning place, called Dartt Instuite).

Or could someone point me to a forum that would have information?

Replies

• NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    polycount > online schooling =)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Yes. I went to Art Institute Online briefly (I got my degree elsewhere before that, but at the time I thought going through a "game art" specific curriculum would benefit me). Don't do it. I'm going to sound like a total whiner by describing it, but it's an accurate description...

I don't know about any other online schools, but AIO consisted of a "lesson" for each week, and then a web forum to post assignments and stuff.

The lessons were written overviews intended to substitute for a lecture, but there was very very little content in any of them. Most of them literally consisted of an intro paragraph followed by links to other (free) websites with more in-depth information.

The assignments usually consisted of reading some chapters in the books (none of which really contained any information that isn't available online today for free) and then answering some questions about them. For attendance credit, everyone in the class had to comment on each other's answers. Because everyone was answering the same questions about the same material, these comments were always useless.

To give you an idea of the art assignments...
    For anatomy and life drawing, in lieu of a classroom with a model, they had us buy VirtualPose and scan/upload our sketches, and also copy anatomical illustrations from Art Student's Anatomy by Edmond J. Farris. If you've ever taken a real life drawing class, you know the difference.

For their 3ds Max course assignments consisted of things like "Search online and find 3DS Max tutorials and follow them. Post your results and write a paragraph about what you learned" and then "Pick a room in your house and make it in 3d. Post your results". A lot of people complained because they weren't given any guidance on how to use the software, so they didn't know how to model anything. But the school's policy is that they don't teach the software. That's up to you. They just teach you stuff like what a vertex is and what it might look like. The rest you learn on your own and from critiques from your fellow students. The instructors sometimes drop in and post things like "Good job :)" to help you along.

tl;dr: Google, Wikipedia, and forums like this one are all you need and they're free. If you're spending money, spend it on the tools. Or at least on a physical school you can go to.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Depends what you're going for. Personally, I only like online if there is a building location as an option. So, you could do either or. That way, you shouldn't end up with the word 'online' on your degree. I don't think employers are ready to accept that yet.

Online classes are tough though. For me, I mixed classes between campus and online. The online is so condensed, that it's sometimes hard to cover all the assignments.
  • serialkiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fly_soup wrote: »
    tl;dr: Google, Wikipedia, and forums like this one are all you need and they're free. If you're spending money, spend it on the tools. Or at least on a physical school you can go to.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    short answer. Save yourself a lot of money and grief and self teach yourself. You're going to have to do it anyways once you finish this schooling. and theyre not going to teach you everything you need to know
  • dubcanada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's pretty much what I figured, thanks guys.

Another note, I've heard good things about session.edu and 3dbuzz and those types of sites. Any comments on them?

Also what was the first thing you modeled? I figured doing square objects (like chairs, boxes, crates, etc) would be a nice place to start. Plus I can learn to UV map them and texture them. It would also give me a gateway into volunteering for gaming projects, creating boxes and environmental art. Once I get a good grasp on that and the 3d content pipeline maybe move into trying characters.

Then I guess the road would be endless? What do you guys think about that?
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, if you want my opinion, i think teaching your self is great. however, there's one super important issue:

if you're a retard, that won't work. I like to think that i've got some pretty damn good strategies for sorting out massive amounts of unorganized information. A school is a place where they organize information in a way that *SHOULD* be easy to understand. often this isn't even the case, but what ever. I'd say you can learn online IF:

-you can set a high standard, and DECIDE that you're going to hit it. that's fucking hard.

-you have some sort of ability to listen to people who are getting the results you want, take new behaviors from them, and consider whether or not those behaviors are taking you closer or further from your goal.

-you can accurately judge weither or not you are where you wanted to be. PC is great for that, because if you post shitty work we will rape you in your bum.

oh, and one that I find particularly useful.. be able to look at something you love, get in touch with your body, and find out WHAT you love about it... then, do that. follow the BEST FEELINGS you POSSIBLY CAN..

thats some of my self-taught learning strategy. You get the point. there are people who specialize in unpacking and teaching excellent strategies, btw.... like tony robbins.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    dubcanada wrote: »
    Then I guess the road would be endless? What do you guys think about that?

I think you're spending too much time thinking what to model instead of just doing it.
    But since you ask, yes, go make a crate.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    dubcanada wrote: »
    Hello,

I have been interested in an online school. Does anyone have any experience with them (This is a in Canadian in province distance online learning place, called Dartt Instuite).

Or could someone point me to a forum that would have information?

May I ask what are you planning to study?

lol I was planning to study Game Development, online with AOD, but now I am doing it on my own. Besides these institutes just give you an "introduction to programming" "introduction to 3ds max" and so on if you go search these very topics on google, you will find many online resources, and if you search them on amazon you will find many books under 100$s which you can read and practice from.

That is better then online school imo. However; if you still wish to study online. Go for it.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, if you want my opinion, i think teaching your self is great. however, there's one super important issue:
    if you're a retard, that won't work.

you found my problem!
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    if you really want to waste money on online teaching get some gnomon masterclasses.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    go to 3d buzz and watch all their unreal ed videos. if you can't learn Maya or Max from that go get a bachelor in something like accounting, medicine, engineering... :D

What fly_soup said is pretty accurate for most online courses, you'll get pointed to information if you are lucky, and then it's up to you. Going to school is like this except that you usually get to talk to your peers make friends and you learn from each other. Sometimes you even get a professor that knows what they are talking about. It's harder to get this from an online course.

3d buzz free content is really good, and just so you know a lot of things you have to buy are not even half as good as what 3D Buzz offers.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    to learn max, maya xsi etc , F1 , to learn how to make good art practise and study on your own REALLY hard.
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    I can't say anything other than what's been suggested. But! Can we get a sticky? Possibly a mixture of schools and forums to kind of benefit the new people who are eager to ask. I know I was one.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    My 2 cents - if you see yourself relocating to some other part of the world at some point GET A DEGREE. That nonsense piece of paper will increase your chances of travelling by automatically qualifying you for most visas worldwide, without it, your choices become MUCH narrower.

Without it, you will be required to have 3 years of experience for every 1 year of schooling lacking ( a degree being 3 years ) so without any higher education, for someone like myself to qualify for the H1B visa to enter the US I would need to have documents and references prooving 9 years of games industry experience.

Had I known this, I would have got my degree many years ago.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    school wont teach you much, if you are not sure what you want to do and have extra cash to throw away then school would be a good way to see if you like something.

if you want to be a good artist, make art and ask questions and work your ass off.

if you cant figure it out by asking people around you and online and w/e you probably wouldnt like working in the industry as you will be having to teach yourself things all the time.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    If you're still interested in the school, see if you can try out their online system. If it works like fly_soup's experience, it's probably not worth much. If they have actual live lectures like they should, ask to watch a lecture example in a core class for your major.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    I am self taught. You dont need to pay to learn. Go on youtube or google.